Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Once again...which iPad?

Hopefully not to confuse the issue about which iPad to use, but I believe there is a misunderstanding regarding the iPad's "GPS capabilities". I did an experiment and posted the results on this forum recently that would indicate the RC does not gain any enhanced GPS capabilities from the iPad attached, regardless of how the iPad gains its own GPS co-ordinates. (see RC's GPS Location - Does the RC Communicate with an iPad to get a GPS Fix?).

Therefore unless you intend to use something like the AutoPilot app, I believe there is no point in paying extra for an iPad with GPS capabilities. Caching maps can be done before leaving home or use your iPhone etc. as a hot spot. I suspect a few people feel an iPad with cellular/GPS capabilities adds to the RC unit locking in its location for use as the home point etc. Happy to be corrected on this if I have got it wrong.

It's my understanding (and this may have changed with newer iPads) that only the cellular iPads have a GPS antenna -- in that they share the cellular antenna. So getting a cellular-enabled iPad -- even without a cell plan -- is preferred to a wifi-only edition.

As far as storage goes, my iPad is 16 GB and is dedicated to my UAV - DJI Go is the only app besides the native apps and Google Maps that I'm running. Seems fine.

Last edited:
I have 2 iPad AIR 2 (WiFi) and i'm happy with them, unfortenatly they don't have the GPS module but when you create a hotspot session to your iphone, it get's the GPS data from the phone.

Chris

Reactions: ALL e RC
I have 1 Ipad mini 3 with Cellular and 1 Ipad Air 2 with Cellular and they both work great with GPS

I use iPad mini 2 on the controller and iPad pro on the second remote... Works really well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I red that the bigger iPad Air 1 and 2 was better so I ran rite out and got me a brand new Air. I dropped it first day out, wind keep laying it down, had to cut a spot out in the case for it to fit, it's heavy to hold and concentrate on flying when getting impossible shot alone, it gets in the way of the antennas, it makes the straps tip over if you let go and I had to keep readjust the device holder screws do to the over weight of the over sized device. I got a mini 4 now it the best way to go sorry bigger wasn't better. I would never bring my air back out long as I have my mini. It hasn't did one of the bad things I mention about the BIGGER AIR pad. Next the huge iPad Pro 12 will be best. Lol

I agree with Moonie. The Mini is my go to device for the Inspire because the size is convenient and it fits in the Inspire's case with no issues.

I red that the bigger iPad Air 1 and 2 was better so I ran rite out and got me a brand new Air. I dropped it first day out, wind keep laying it down, had to cut a spot out in the case for it to fit, it's heavy to hold and concentrate on flying when getting impossible shot alone, it gets in the way of the antennas, it makes the straps tip over if you let go and I had to keep readjust the device holder screws do to the over weight of the over sized device. I got a mini 4 now it the best way to go sorry bigger wasn't better. I would never bring my air back out long as I have my mini. It hasn't did one of the bad things I mention about the BIGGER AIR pad. Next the huge iPad Pro 12 will be best. Lol
Not an issue with the SeaCraft transmitter tray and tablet holder. Perfectly balanced and comfortable all day long with the double strap harness.
TX Tray
Tablet holder for tray - They do different sizes right up to the iPad Pro
Double strap harness - Very comfortable!

Their stuff is also extremely well made and will out last the Inspire by years !

Reactions: damoncooper
Yea I find my Samsung galaxy note 3 and 4 to be about the perfect size for flying. Tried a bigger tablet for a while but didn't like it for many reasons. $400+ for a screen to just fly inspire, no data other than wifi(very annoying), heavy/bulky, doesn't for in case and so on. Have zero other use for tablet personally. Phone does it all and it's about the perfect size.

Yea I find my Samsung galaxy note 3 and 4 to be about the perfect size for flying. Tried a bigger tablet for a while but didn't like it for many reasons. $400+ for a screen to just fly inspire, no data other than wifi(very annoying), heavy/bulky, doesn't for in case and so on. Have zero other use for tablet personally. Phone does it all and it's about the perfect size.

Boy, I remember the days when I could see things that small....and how I miss them. My iPad Mini2 is really too small for my vision at this point -- looking at upsizing to the Air2.

Boy, I remember the days when I could see things that small....and how I miss them. My iPad Mini2 is really too small for my vision at this point -- looking at upsizing to the Air2.
Even on the Air2, until I see the 4K video on my 28" 4K Dell Monitor back at home, I don't realize what I missed seeing live, like birds that flew by within a few feet, kite surfers almost out of view, kids flying kites at the edge of the frame, and other Inspire 1's flying directly at me with a combined closing speed of over 70 mph that missed by less than 20 feet! Lots of near misses that could have ended badly! Bigger is better! Be safe!

Last edited:
Not an issue with the SeaCraft transmitter tray and tablet holder. Perfectly balanced and comfortable all day long with the double strap harness.
TX Tray
Tablet holder for tray - They do different sizes right up to the iPad Pro
Double strap harness - Very comfortable!

Their stuff is also extremely well made and will out last the Inspire by years !
The Secraft doesnt look like it would work with ITELITE DBS02 moded remote

The Secraft doesnt look like it would work with ITELITE DBS02 moded remote
Sorry guys gave you the wrong link for the tablet holder (now corrected).
I have the tray mount one here
Welcome to SECRAFT
The transmitter one which I first linked to will not give you any better clearance or balance over the stock one. It would be a lot more robust though.
The best option is the one I have linked to in this post.
This will give you more clearance for your after market antenna mods.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Sorry guys gave you the wrong link for the tablet holder (now corrected).
I have the tray mount one here
Welcome to SECRAFT
The transmitter one which I first linked to will not give you any better clearance or balance over the stock one. It would be a lot more robust though.
The best option is the one I have linked to in this post.
This will give you more clearance for your after market antenna mods.

Thanks for the update. I was looking at how the remote fits in the Secraft TX Tray.
With the remote mounted in the Secraft TX Tray, it appears as though there would be interference between the bottom front rail of the TX Tray and the ITELITE DBS02 mounting plate.
Can anyone confirm whether that setup works or not?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alecia4669