Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Orthophotos with Inspire 1

its looking good. The only problem I have is that I have moved the VPS and put it inside my mount. I dont think many people would be confident in their soldering skills in order to remove the connector for the VPS and extend it with a piece of ribbon cable.

I am happy with the mount though, just thinking about a cardan joint to try and keep the camera more level in winds.
I havent done much to it for a while as we (the mrs and I) have just had another child. I am now back at work on a different continent to the family for the next 6 weeks, so I should be able to find time for some progress

OK I think I am very late to this party but I just downloaded a copy of the AgiSoft demo and I'm really impressed with how it's handled my photos - bearing in mind they were taken from random flights, unplanned, from a GoPro on an FC40 and therefore with no geotagging.

I'm looking at an Inspire tomorrow with a view to buy. The one advantage the GoPro has is it can get down to 0.5s frequency in timelapse mode...not 5s like the minimum on the Inspire. Does this mean I'll have to fly ten times slower?

I'll admit I know NOTHING about this orthophoto/3d modelling beyond "Hey, cool demo". You guys sound like you're in business - what would your customers use this sort of info for?

Reactions: dch
OK I think I am very late to this party but I just downloaded a copy of the AgiSoft demo and I'm really impressed with how it's handled my photos - bearing in mind they were taken from random flights, unplanned, from a GoPro on an FC40 and therefore with no geotagging.

I'm looking at an Inspire tomorrow with a view to buy. The one advantage the GoPro has is it can get down to 0.5s frequency in timelapse mode...not 5s like the minimum on the Inspire. Does this mean I'll have to fly ten times slower?

I'll admit I know NOTHING about this orthophoto/3d modelling beyond "Hey, cool demo". You guys sound like you're in business - what would your customers use this sort of info for?
Map Pilot, Dronedeploy and UgCS apps do it all the overlap, shutter trigger calculations etc for you. Still haven't got entirely used to hands free auto pilot flight even after 2 years at this!

Wondering if anyone has kept up 3d mapping with their drone? Looking to dive into this as a hobby. I'm sure things have gotten better since the last post.

I did a job a couple of weeks ago. Mapped a 70 acre site, I used dronedeploy.com. It went well no problems. I used a Phantom 3 for that one but you can use a I1

All you do is use drone deploy and map out your area height, photo overlap and bam. There is your entire mission pretty much planned. I would say though, for whatever reason, the phantom 4 is much faster at mapping than the inspire. The phantom seems to shoot photos while moving and the inspire always stops for every photo. I managed to map about a 15acre area in about 5 minutes.

I am really interested in trying the new dji ground station app out next time to see how well it works.

Sent from my iPhone using InspirePilots

All you do is use drone deploy and map out your area height, photo overlap and bam. There is your entire mission pretty much planned. I would say though, for whatever reason, the phantom 4 is much faster at mapping than the inspire. The phantom seems to shoot photos while moving and the inspire always stops for every photo. I managed to map about a 15acre area in about 5 minutes.

I am really interested in trying the new dji ground station app out next time to see how well it works.

Let me know how that works out for you, I want to try that also

@Hammer_155
I also do some mapping with my Inspire1 using dronedeploy, but it never stops to take a photo. It always takes photos during flight.
Only when I use the fairly new DJI GSPro app, the Inspire stops at every 'kodak moment'.
But I have heard more complaints about this. It also looks a bit weird, all the 'stop&go' action in the air.
So my favourite at the moment is Dronedeploy and I still have to try Litchi, been hearing good things about it.

This is how false information can lead to wrong conclusions. An absolute ridiculous uninformed statement. Let me state this emphatically: The in Inspire does NOT stop to take every photo while mapping! Map Pilot even senses blur in the imagery and slows the aircraft down to compensate accordingly. Clever stuff.

PfCO Holder
BNUC-S Qualified

it doesnt with Map Pilot or UGCS, however i have used a number of packages where the aircraft DOES slow / stop for a photo. Im not sure about the DJI Ground station yet as still waiting for our Inspire 2 to arrive.

I have run into a problem with Maps Pilot (Maps Made Easy) for doing my mapping. For some reason there is huge lag coming from my camera to the display on my tablet. Even when the tablet/controller is right next to my Inspire there seems to be some problem with the video feed. In the air this problem translates to missing pictures as it flies on the grid.

Does anyone have the same problem or know a solution??

I have run into a problem with Maps Pilot (Maps Made Easy) for doing my mapping. For some reason there is huge lag coming from my camera to the display on my tablet. Even when the tablet/controller is right next to my Inspire there seems to be some problem with the video feed. In the air this problem translates to missing pictures as it flies on the grid.

Does anyone have the same problem or know a solution??

I'm not having the same problem. I use an iPad Air 2. Are you having the same problem with the GO app? Does it actually lose connection?

You can force it to reconnect by tapping and holding the "Connected" indicator on the left side of the top status bar. After holding it for a few seconds a message will come up that says "Currently attempting to reconnect to the aircraft". This will likely fix any camera or telemetry issues. This from their help centre. You can also post a support request from their Help Centre.

PfCO Holder
BNUC-S Qualified

it doesnt with Map Pilot or UGCS, however i have used a number of packages where the aircraft DOES slow / stop for a photo. Im not sure about the DJI Ground station yet as still waiting for our Inspire 2 to arrive.
He was talking about Drone Deploy in that paragraph. It does not stop to take photos.

PfCO Holder
BNUC-S Qualified

@Hammer_155
I also do some mapping with my Inspire1 using dronedeploy, but it never stops to take a photo. It always takes photos during flight.
Only when I use the fairly new DJI GSPro app, the Inspire stops at every 'kodak moment'.
But I have heard more complaints about this. It also looks a bit weird, all the 'stop&go' action in the air.
So my favourite at the moment is Dronedeploy and I still have to try Litchi, been hearing good things about it.

Ya it's weird. We setup my p4 and my partners inspire pro with what looked to be same setting on drone deploy and the inspire always stopped to shoot and the phantom was just zippin around so fast.

Im struggling with that - i cant see the point in paying for that as opposed to just elongating a standard grid - or am i missing the point ?
You cannot do concave shapes using the standard planner. For example if you are doing coastal erosion mapping of a large curved beach, using the normal grid planner you would be taking in a lot of the inland portion which does not need mapped. Linear let's you map just the bit you want. Any contorted shape in fact like a road or river. For me very useful.

PfCO Holder
BNUC-S Qualified

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jenuk