Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

UK OSC for an Inspire - anyone sucessful??

Reaction score
I am struggling to get an OSC for my inspire signed off as it is a quad and not a hex and the CAA do not like quads.

Has anyone had any success?

Reactions: simon@DEF
I am struggling to get an OSC for my inspire signed off as it is a quad and not a hex and the CAA do not like quads.

Hi there, it shouldn't be a problem as I have a phantom 3 pro and the CAA didn't ask any questions after I submitted my OSC / Ops manual. I have my PfAW.

So what does your OSC cover beyond a standard PfAW/PfCO?

It's just standard permissions, however, I have three specific multirotors listed..phantom 3 pro, inspire 1 pro and S900. I've never received any negativity from the CAA or NQE surrounding the use of a quad before. I guess the mitigations and procedures in my ops manual were sufficiently safe enough for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's just standard permissions, however, I have three specific multirotors listed..phantom 3 pro, inspire 1 pro and S900. I've never received any negativity from the CAA or NQE surrounding the use of a quad before. I guess the mitigations and procedures in my ops manual were sufficiently safe enough for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ahh....you do not have an OSC then granting reduced stand-off distances.
Highly unlikely (at the moment) the CAA will grant one for a quad especially with no arresting device (parachute).
You will need to submit kinectic energy values for any decent limiting device and have a comprehensive safety procedure over and above standard permissions.
The more redundancy the better and the Inspire has none (unless you use the original screw on props from V1 with prop locks - and then it is only for prop fastening).

Reactions: MarkLincs
I was told that even with a parachute I would be unlikely to be successful for reducitnwg the standoff distances.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

How did this turn out Mike?
I'm in the process of preparing an OSC myself and I'm looking for as much information as possible so that I can hopefully get it right on the first attempt but the fear of quads that the CAA might have worries me!

After a long phone call with them I got the blunt impression they belive that only a six rotor plus craft weighing over 7kg with redundant everything would get a OSC passed. The M600 might be the cheapest way to.go?

what a shame, the M600 is not really a one person setup - and transport is a nightmare. I wonder what their reasoning behind a 7kg plus airframe ?

i dont think its 7+kg thats important to the CAA, i think its the redundancy, which at the moment will push the airframe mass above 7kg.
That's right - they would not belive you could build a redundant hex under 7kg which I think would be easy now with current tech. 600mm frame with the n3 FC. Twin GPS and batteries etc. Carrying thr X5 camera.

OSC is a tricky one. Can you get reduced operating distances for an inspire yes you can. How much can it be done by.

That depends on your safety case.

As for over 7 kilos yes you can get an OSC an reductions and the closest one I know of is 20 kilos at 10 meters from a structure / person not under the pilots control.

Note an OSC can only be applied for if you've been operating over a year.

Ahh....you do not have an OSC then granting reduced stand-off distances.
Highly unlikely (at the moment) the CAA will grant one for a quad especially with no arresting device (parachute).
You will need to submit kinectic energy values for any decent limiting device and have a comprehensive safety procedure over and above standard permissions.
The more redundancy the better and the Inspire has none (unless you use the original screw on props from V1 with prop locks - and then it is only for prop fastening).
Dang, Guess we shouldn't complain about the FAA...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marve84