Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Osmo Jib idea suggestions

Reaction score
3ea7a985a218d156c3e6ee0097476b1f.jpg

I have this idea to stick the Osmo onto the end of a 5m telescoping pool cleaner pole to do lifts and swoops.

What do you experts think?

I'm having trouble thinking of a good way to affix the Osmo in a way that you can put it on and off quickly during a shoot. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Here is your answer! And it would be great to see if its actually doable with the X5. Ill have to order one and try it out.

Here is your answer! And it would be great to see if its actually doable with the X5. Ill have to order one and try it out.

Ha ha.. Predator, you seem to like this guy's videos. I have DJI's extension rod and have used it to good effect as a makeshift jib but a couple of things to note is that it isn't VERY long and there is no counterweight on the back end so you end up having to muscle the Osmo up to the height you want. I'm guessing the Osmo with the X5 will take quite a bit more effort.

The one thing I gleaned from the videos you posted is that he uses a standard photography lightstand spigot into the side of the Osmo as a kind of quick release system to attach his Osmo to whatever accessories. DJI's rosette system is a bit slow in practical use for run and gun type situations so a good quick release system can be very useful. Will see what ideas I can come up with to adapt to my Osmo system.

Haha i dont understand a word hes saying tho just like watching his Osmo videos lol but ino what you mean and i'm sure a budget crane would do the job with a lil counter weight no need to get a kessler :D

We are currently just trying to get a company to make something exactly like this. Something that can be broken down into sections, lightweight, adaptable to most tripods...empty sandbags for counterweights. The idea is to keep it as cheap as possible (which this company is good at...)

Excellent.. pls keep us posted here Luke. The thing with lightweight and cheaply made jibs is they tend to be less stable and have a bit too much "play" especially after some wear and tear. This creates some undesirable movement in the footage that we have to correct in post. The Osmo being a stabilised gimbal will definitely make a lightweight jib more usable. If you have any say on the final product, I would add rapid deployment to the wish list for such a product. I want to be able to run and gun with the Osmo and if it is going to take more than 3 mins to set up or tear down for an experienced crew familiar with the jib, it would slow me down too much to be considered usable. If I have to pre-set up and post tear down a jib, then I would rather use a bigger more stable jib with better cameras/optics.

Reactions: Luke Neumann
Excellent.. pls keep us posted here Luke. The thing with lightweight and cheaply made jibs is they tend to be less stable and have a bit too much "play" especially after some wear and tear. This creates some undesirable movement in the footage that we have to correct in post. The Osmo being a stabilised gimbal will definitely make a lightweight jib more usable. If you have any say on the final product, I would add rapid deployment to the wish list for such a product. I want to be able to run and gun with the Osmo and if it is going to take more than 3 mins to set up or tear down for an experienced crew familiar with the jib, it would slow me down too much to be considered usable. If I have to pre-set up and post tear down a jib, then I would rather use a bigger more stable jib with better cameras/optics.

Absolutely. I have used jibs with some give in the past and usually if you make a good camera move you can take out anything in post with "Warp Stabilizer". So, adding the OSMO into that should really bring great results even if there is some give.

See, I don't mind a little longer set up if it means having a bigger jib. That's why I think breaking it down into sections is a good idea. A section of 3 could give you 12-15 feet and be considered a light setup. Then if you wanted to go bigger you could.

This is all assuming DJI releases the X5R and the OSMO for X5/X5R in 2016 at some point :)

Starting to build the prototype now. Once that is finished...test shots, and then see what bulk discounts we can get to determine final price. Price will likely be dependent on how big of a crane you want, so there will be "tiers" (I assume).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LewisuhaAbips