Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Osmo Pro X5 with Focus Wheel

Reaction score
I gotta say.. I was impressed with this setup. I got the Focus Wheel along with it. Still tinkering with it, but so far, it's a nice kit. The case is top notch..very sturdy. I must say tho, that after owning the Osmo X3 for a while, the X5 setup with the Focus Wheel is a bit hefty.

Reactions: badbiggz
Same here, Osmo Pro with focus wheel on it, I can feel it.

I was really considering buying the pro but when I have to throw on an adapter, lens, z axis, UV filter to balance, iPhone, shotgun mic, mini-light panel, and a focus wheel (not sure if you can even put this many accessories on the handle) to be ready to shoot for the day I don't think it's an option anymore.

Last edited:
I was really considering buying the pro but when I have to throw on an adapter, lens, z axis, UV filter to balance, iPhone, shotgun mic, mini-light panel, and a focus wheel (not sure if you can even put this many accessories on the handle) to be ready to shoot for the day I don't think it's an option anymore.
.. and don't forget the stand. I always leave it on, that way I can set it down at anytime.

.. and don't forget the stand. I always leave it on, that way I can set it down at anytime.

Can you use the z - axis and focus wheel on the same rig? The cable seems far too short. And to confirm there's two ports, one for the audio jack and another where the focus wheel connects?

I'm trying to justify how I could use the osmo pro professionally for things like documentaries, A cam on small biz commercials, covering events, etc. and after a few days spent researching the accessories I still can't seem to be able to put together a rig without a half dozen add-ons I won't be fumbling around trying to pull focus while squinting at a phone in sunlight.

Although for real estate marketing I could see using for cinematic interior shooting. Just wish they'd add continuos auto focus in the firmware, kind of a deal breaker.

Can you use the z - axis and focus wheel on the same rig? The cable seems far too short. And to confirm there's two ports, one for the audio jack and another where the focus wheel connects?

I'm trying to justify how I could use the osmo pro professionally for things like documentaries, A cam on small biz commercials, covering events, etc. and after a few days spent researching the accessories I still can't seem to be able to put together a rig without a half dozen add-ons I won't be fumbling around trying to pull focus while squinting at a phone in sunlight.
I do not use the z axis... but yes, there is an audio port (which I use a wireless Movo system) and then there is the Focus Wheel port on the X5 adaptor plate.

Although for real estate marketing I could see using for cinematic interior shooting. Just wish they'd add continuos auto focus in the firmware, kind of a deal breaker.
Meh... you kinda get a feel for it. Of course, at F1.7 it's a lot tougher to stay on top of focus, but stopped down to 5.6 or smaller aperture, you have a larger margin for error.

I do not use the z axis... but yes, there is an audio port (which I use a wireless Movo system) and then there is the Focus Wheel port on the X5 adaptor plate.

Really appreciate the info. I'm going back and forth because I'm having a hard time figuring out if there is a longer "communication cable" from the focus hand wheel to the X5 adapter I can find. The one that comes with the hand wheel is very short and won't reach with the z - axis.

All DJI has told me is there is a 1.2m hand wheel port to inspire 2 controller port but I don't if the inspire 2 port and Osmo x5 are the same so I'm waiting to try and follow up with a DJI guy in person this weekend. Calling them wasn't helpful. I thought I read somewhere there was a cable for this though...

Not to mention I'm getting the i2 this Spring and have no idea if an Osmo handle for the x5s is around the corner.

The Osmo Pro/Raw Z-Axis has a handwheel focus cable port at the right hand side of the base where it connects onto the Osmo handle, so you don't need a longer cable - the original one that comes with the Handwheel is long enough. The port is visible in the images of the Osmo Pro/Raw Z-Axis on the DJI website - Osmo Pro/RAW - Z-Axis | DJI Store.

BTW, if/when you order the z-axis or look for info on it, make sure you get the right Z-Axis, there're two versions, one for the X3 and another for the X5 (aka the Pro/Raw version)

The hand wheel will work on the I2 when you get it, but you'll need a different cable as the port on the I2 controller is different to the one on the Osmo Pro X5. That's the longer 1.2m cable that the DJI tech has mentioned, there's also a shorter 0.3m version of the same cable available too - but again it won't work with the Osmo.

So:
- Osmo Pro x5/RAW, X5/Pro Z-Axis, Handwheel = don't need any other cables for the Handwheel
- Inspire 2 + Handwheel = need another cable. 0.3m or 1.2m available.
- Osmo 2 + X5S + handwheel = who knows!! :confused::rolleyes::D:D

Last edited:
The Osmo Pro/Raw Z-Axis has a handwheel focus cable port at the right hand side of the base where it connects onto the Osmo handle, so you don't need a longer cable - the original one that comes with the Handwheel is long enough. The port is visible in the images of the Osmo Pro/Raw Z-Axis on the DJI website - Osmo Pro/RAW - Z-Axis | DJI Store.

BTW, if/when you order the z-axis or look for info on it, make sure you get the right Z-Axis, there're two versions, one for the X3 and another for the X5 (aka the Pro/Raw version)

The hand wheel will work on the I2 when you get it, but you'll need a different cable as the port on the I2 controller is different to the one on the Osmo Pro X5. That's the longer 1.2m cable that the DJI tech has mentioned, there's also a shorter 0.3m version of the same cable available too - but again it won't work with the Osmo.

So:
- Osmo Pro x5/RAW, X5/Pro Z-Axis, Handwheel = don't need any other cables for the Handwheel
- Inspire 2 + Handwheel = need another cable. 0.3m or 1.2m available.
- Osmo 2 + X5S + handwheel = who knows!! :confused::rolleyes::D:D

I can't tell you how much I appreciate the info. I spent hours getting on the phone with 3 different DJI reps and no one had this very simple answer.

The OSMO pro, handwheel focus and the Z-Axis are so nice to use. I filmed a couple of short movies with this setup recently. It takes some practice to master and feel the z axis but when you understand its behavior you can run with it and you can achieve some really nice stable footage.

Here's a video of shots all filmed with the X5 on the OSMO with the z axis (and the inspire 1). The focus handwheel is a must have for precise focus on close up shots. Works really well.

Mart

Reactions: ReadyKilowatt

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALWAnna671