Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Pan Tilt and Zoom

Reaction score
Several years ago I had to edit a video for a national retail chain. We were a bunch of graphic designers and artists with very little video experience. So I'm looking through the raw video and 100% of it is panning, zooming and moving the camera. I'm quizzing the video guy, "don't you have any static shots in here?" He thought static shots were too boring and not "artistic". We were able to make the video work using his footage integrated with still shots and the Ken Burns effect, lol.

Fast forward to present day. The footage I see on here is almost 100% panning and tilting with a moving platform. My question for professionals here, is there no reason for static shots? When you're shooting a commercial or footage for a tv show is the camera ALWAYS moving?

Bob

Reactions: GuyNamedLindsey
Several years ago I had to edit a video for a national retail chain. We were a bunch of graphic designers and artists with very little video experience. So I'm looking through the raw video and 100% of it is panning, zooming and moving the camera. I'm quizzing the video guy, "don't you have any static shots in here?" He thought static shots were too boring and not "artistic". We were able to make the video work using his footage integrated with still shots and the Ken Burns effect, lol.

Fast forward to present day. The footage I see on here is almost 100% panning and tilting with a moving platform. My question for professionals here, is there no reason for static shots? When you're shooting a commercial or footage for a tv show is the camera ALWAYS moving?

Bob
Absolutely not. There is no reason for constant moving shots.
That's what you will see on here because it is a UAV (Drone) forum so people post nothing but drone footage.
However, the best story telling will always be to use a variety of shots (Handheld, locked down/tripod etc) together with some aerial footage if the subject matter lends itself to that perspective.

Reactions: GuyNamedLindsey
I can NOT watch videos that are ONLY drone shots:confused:

Half the shots I see on the forum would end up on the cutting room floor for me. I understand wanting to leave it recording the whole time so you don't miss a shot but... Its easy to spot someone who's doing this for a living vs for fun.

Reactions: The Editor

Half the shots I see on the forum would end up on the cutting room floor for me. I understand wanting to leave it recording the whole time so you don't miss a shot but... Its easy to spot someone who's doing this for a living vs for fun.
Absolutely agree.
If you take a 30 minute slot even if it was some type of wildlife documentary you would be pushing it to even get 180 seconds of aerial footage in there.
Used in the right way UAV footage can be breathtaking and lift the narrative to a professional level. If it's overdone it becomes very tedious.

Can't say I disagree with any of the comments here. My feeling is that drone shots are really for establishing a scene in a video. Lindsey is right, I can't stand watching drone only videos either.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomasovinido