Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Part 107 Exam..passed.

Jason, just finished your course and took the final this morning, scoring a 95% on the first try, testing time was 23 minutes.

Thank you very much for the informative class. I have total confidence I will pass the test scheduled for this coming Saturday.

I highly recommend Jason's remotepilot101.com training.

Thank you my friend! Keep me posted on your success. Myself and the team are here if you have any questions or need anything

Jason

Reactions: DesertWindAero
Hi,

I’m in sort of a unique situation (maybe) since 107 has been passed…

Prior to the announcement of 107 I was about 25% through completion of my Sport Pilot License. I’d done the ground school, registered with IACRA, and taken + passed the FAA’s Sport Pilot knowledge test.

I’m 99% certain that the FAA & airspace info covered on that test is the same as the Remote Pilot test, however I’m unsure. Since I don’t have my Pilot’s License I don’t necessarily qualify to be able to simply take the online Remote Pilot cert…however I think it’s redundant for me to take the whole test again through a testing center.

By slim chance, anyone else out there deal with the same thing?

Thanks!
Kris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would guess that if you've already passed the the sport pilot knowledge test, you would probably be okay. If you feel confident with reading sectionals and weather forecasts, you'll probably do fine. I'm a commercial rated pilot and former CFI and I studied the FAA UAS practice tests, the UAS study guide and took the online tests several times and still got thrown for a loop on a couple questions.

Great job to all that passed thus far! Looks like I'm joining the ranks as well! Passed with a 85! Woot! Just a heads up to those of you wanting to take it without any type of studying...that ain't gonna cut it! I studied all the free resources that are available (yes there are a ton of FREE resources). I was debating on whether I needed to pay for an online course or take the time to study on my own. Glad I saved me some dough to buy apps or more batteries! If you put your mind to it, it's not that hard! :)

Another shout out for Alan Perlman's Drone Pilot Ground School. Well worth the investment! I was getting 95s and 100s in DPGS' pretests and walked out of the FAA site with an 83.

I studied weather too much (it was my weak area) and neglected CRM. There were also about half a dozen questions on radio freqs. Overall the actual test questions felt "deeper" than the pretest questions, if that makes any sense.

Reactions: Highrpm955
Passed mine yesterday with a 97 (missed 2). BUT, I'm an ATP, former CFI-I/MEI and airline pilot so lots of the material was old hat...just had to scrape the dust off my test-taking skills.

What surprised me a ton was the focus on ADM and CRM that just wasn't part of the curriculum when I was flying back in the day. So don't just blow past that stuff in the PHAK because it's boring (and gawd is it boring) -- I'd guess that my exam had 8-10 questions on those topics alone.

Took the test yesterday! I liked the setup where you can skip a question, tag it as unsure for review and a count down timer. Was a challenge, mine had many question related to air zones on the chart and if you were allowed to fly. It also had weight load questions and effects, METARS, risk assessment, CRM,ADM know the diffs. Lots of questions on radio freqs. Some weather basics. Calmly took 1.8 hours, reviewed each answer I gave and actually changed about 4 to the correct one. All in all got an 85 and was ecstatic! I have been waiting almost 2 years to get where I am today. I have tried the next step (IACRA) have a user name and logged in and filled out everything except the exam test info (mine is still not available and they say 24-48 hours after test it will be available. I must say I a so happy I passed as next week its on to Interdrone in Vegas and I did not want this hanging over my head!

Reactions: SPS and Highrpm955
I also passed, but was chagrined to learn that several of the questions I missed were really simple ones that I actually knew the correct answers to. I had passed all my practice tests with 100%, but started getting a little worried early in the 'real' test when I realized I was not as prepared as I should be. I started getting a little concerned about time, so when a really simple question came up I went thru it without adequate consideration. I absolutely know better than this, and almost paid dearly for my automatic thinking. Although there are some 'gimmies' in this test, there's not enough to carry you through if you are not paying close attention. My advice: slow down, and do not take anything for granted. They allow more than enough time to review every single question word by word if needed.
From what I could tell, the test writers were not all that concerned if the candidate knew the material, and were more interested to see if they understood it. I think it was a fair and valid test, and my "doh!" flubs were actually good for me.
As for the IACRA, I did a follow-along with the youtube vid from uav coach, which helped a lot.

Reactions: John
Thanks so much for your input/advice concerning this test. I'm slated to take it tomorrow, and have been studying my butt off for about 2 months. I took 2 paid pre courses. Drone Pilot Ground School I found to be very good. I was less than pleased with Gold Seal UAV Ground School.

I will report my impressions on the exam tomorrow afternoon.

Please give the URL for your Drone Pilot Ground School. That term seems to be somewhat generic.

Please give the URL for your Drone Pilot Ground School. That term seems to be somewhat generic.

Without this, I probably would have gotten pretty aggravated, since the very thing they ask you for is the C number you are asking them to provide.

I thankfully passed my UAG with 85% on Thursday after investing on the order of 20+ solid hours reading and studying the pertinent FAA study guides and publications. The pass rate at my local testing center is on the order of 5 out of 10 applicants this first week. Sectional charts, METAR weather reports, ADM, air traffic radio protocol and more need to be fully understood for some tricky questions. This test and certification process does NOT appear to be a good fit for the casual real estate broker or photographer, worker at a small to medium size construction company, or a fly-for-fun drone hobbyist wanting to earn income legally. Applicants must pass a background check by the US Department of Homeland Security's (DHS) Transportation Security Administration (TSA) as well. Additionally, to be granted permission via FAA waiver, for example, to fly over people or during civil twilight (approval to fly at night is not granted), all training for any individual directly participating in the operation of a sUAS must be documented and available to the FAA upon request. The process for registering on the IACRA site was easy. My advice is to wait 48 hours after being handed the Airman Knowledge Test Report before applying for the Remote Pilot Certificate with sUAS Rating as the exam ID number on the Report needs to have been uploaded to the FAA system. True, the barrier to entry to fly sUAS legally in the "furtherance of a business" is lower by not needing documented hours with and sign-off by a flight instructor, but the hurdles and associated investment, dedication, and commitment remain significant.

I also passed, but was chagrined to learn that several of the questions I missed were really simple ones that I actually knew the correct answers to. I had passed all my practice tests with 100%, but started getting a little worried early in the 'real' test when I realized I was not as prepared as I should be. I started getting a little concerned about time, so when a really simple question came up I went thru it without adequate consideration. I absolutely know better than this, and almost paid dearly for my automatic thinking. Although there are some 'gimmies' in this test, there's not enough to carry you through if you are not paying close attention. My advice: slow down, and do not take anything for granted. They allow more than enough time to review every single question word by word if needed.
From what I could tell, the test writers were not all that concerned if the candidate knew the material, and were more interested to see if they understood it. I think it was a fair and valid test, and my "doh!" flubs were actually good for me.
As for the IACRA, I did a follow-along with the youtube vid from uav coach, which helped a lot.
I completely agree with your comments. I too passed practiced exams at 95+% but realized during the actual test that I wasn't as prepared as I thought. Yes, reviewing each question after the first pass is recommended to validate or change any "automatic" responses.

Reactions: Bigdz
Passed mine yesterday with a 97 (missed 2). BUT, I'm an ATP, former CFI-I/MEI and airline pilot so lots of the material was old hat...just had to scrape the dust off my test-taking skills.

What surprised me a ton was the focus on ADM and CRM that just wasn't part of the curriculum when I was flying back in the day. So don't just blow past that stuff in the PHAK because it's boring (and gawd is it boring) -- I'd guess that my exam had 8-10 questions on those topics alone.
Yes, ADM has more importance these days. There was a UAG test taker leaving when I arrived. The frustration he vocalized to the proctor reminded me of several potentially dangerous attitudes covered in the PHAK. I wouldn't want him working for me.

Last edited:
I passed the exam today with an 87% and I think I was lucky to get that much! This was a lot harder than expected.

I've taken the private pilot written twice in the last 4 years as a requirement for my regular job (UAS pilot at a US government agency), the most recent being in April.

I can safely say that there were a number of private pilot-type questions on the sUAS test that have NOTHING to do with sUAS operations...and, had I not known the answers from taking the PP test, I would have had no idea whatsoever as to the correct answer.

There were also questions about sUAS operations that weren't in any of the test prep material at all.

The FAA definitely words the questions so that simple rote memory will NOT be sufficient to know answers to questions. You have to completely understand the policies, procedures, concepts, and practices backwards and forwards - otherwise you will be in big trouble on the exam.

I took Jason Schappert's remotepilot101.com course and that helped greatly. I also downloaded Dauntless Aviation's UAS test material and studied both judiciously for over 2 weeks and am glad I did. I found a couple of errors in the Dauntless material and I will be providing that feedback to them. For example, in one question regarding a sectional, they had the completely wrong sectional figure associated with the question. In another instance, in the Dauntless question about sUAS weight, the "correct' answer was "less than 55 lbs." and in Jason's material the answer was "55 lbs. or less." In the FAA final rule, the right answer is "55 lbs. or less." So, beware of stuff like that.

Make sure you know PLT248 Recall forces acting on aircraft - turns

Also, look out for the question about horizontal distance from tower guy wires... ;-)

Good luck!

DD

Last edited:
Just wanted to chip in here with my experience taking the exam on Thursday 01 September. I had taken an online course that I paid for and studied like crazy for about 3 weeks. For me, the tests that came with the online course were much easier than the actual test. I could routinely get 90 plus correct on the 60 question online tests and finish in 30 minutes or so. However, I was disappointed to get only 83% correct on the real test. I felt like some of the real test questions were on material that I had completely missed in my studying or that were not mentioned previously. The people who administered my test did an excellent job of seeing that I understood the conditions under which I could take the test. I spent over 90 minutes on the test and went through the entire test twice to check my answers. Even so some of my answers were a guess. Some that I missed were ones that I thought I had correct. I intend to do some further study using the learning statement codes for my incorrect answers. This should help for now and 24 months from now. The person who administered my exam said that it would probably be next Thursday before I could expect to get results working with IACRA.

My experience with the test on Monday was a little different from most, I suppose -- I had been studying for a full-fledged Part 61 earlier in the summer, expecting to have to do that in order to get a full-on pilot license and legitimate Section 333 exemption. The Part 107 made that a much easier process (and less expensive). So in one sense I had a head start, and maybe knew a lot of stuff I didn't need like sport pilot maneuvers, ATC radio comms procedures and Nav equipment and the like. Nevertheless, for those of you contemplating studying for and taking your AKT, I would highly recommend a good study program. If you're going to use self-study (as I did), I recommend the Gleim Sport Pilot kit, and to pay attention to the areas that Part 107 specifically lists. The test is NOT easy, and I did feel a little underprepared in some areas. It's designed that way -- I got an 83% -- and the test center was really good about doing a post review. The TA told me that the way the test system works (at least with CATS) is that if you mark a question wrong, the test system will keep pounding you with questions in the same knowledge area to really exercise your knowldge. My advice: take your time. I burned through the test in about 35 minutes, which wasn't wise (although I comfortably passed).

I must say that after spending about $100 on a pre-exam course, Im glad I did. It was quite challenging. I took pre-exams over and over scoring 100's.. passed with an 82 final. This is not something you can just go take without a lot of prep. You must know an aeronautical map like the back of your hand. Some questions were totally irrelevant, but I can see how they want you to have the knowledge of how the National Airspace works.... study hard my friends!
Got a 82% to today and studied the same as you, and agree to all you have stated! STUDY HARD!

For those still waiting to test, you should take the time to look at the test supplement and get to know whats in there. Mainly because there is a complete sectional chart legend in the beginning that can be referenced if needed. Really makes the sectional questions an open book test. There are also other helpful goodies in the supplement as well. Just be familiar where things are at and it'll be a great help.

I hold a Commercial/Instrument license but I am not current with a BFR. I took the test as a non-pilot as it was A LOT CHEAPER than getting a fresh medical, ground time, and flight time with an instructor to get the BFR. Something to consider.

Also, after I took the 0800 test on Monday at FIT in Melbourne, I went straight to the Orlando FSDO to schedule for the review with a DPE. Normally they only do this on Tuesdays and Thursdays but there had been a couple of examiners there earlier that day to test the system but they were not around when I got there. BUT, one had a flight cancellation due to weather and was still over at the Orlando Executive Airport. The FSDO attendant was nice enough to call him to inquire about his availability. Long story short, I bolted the 8 miles over and met with him before he left. I had printed out the 8710-13 without registering on IACRA and he was able to issue the TAC to me on Aug. 29.

One final note that I wasn't aware of is that not all DPE's are able to sign off on the sUAS TAC. They must take the same on-line course that pilots take and have it registered before they can sign anyone off. When I was at the Orlando FSDO, only 5 DPE's were qualified to do so out of the rather large list of DPE's.

Good luck guys!

I also purchased the RemotePilot101 prep course and it's great delivery of information. I haven't taken the exam yet, but thanks for all the supplemental info posted here.

For those still waiting to test, you should take the time to look at the test supplement and get to know whats in there. Mainly because there is a complete sectional chart legend in the beginning that can be referenced if needed. Really makes the sectional questions an open book test. There are also other helpful goodies in the supplement as well. Just be familiar where things are at and it'll be a great help.

I hold a Commercial/Instrument license but I am not current with a BFR. I took the test as a non-pilot as it was A LOT CHEAPER than getting a fresh medical, ground time, and flight time with an instructor to get the BFR. Something to consider.

Also, after I took the 0800 test on Monday at FIT in Melbourne, I went straight to the Orlando FSDO to schedule for the review with a DPE. Normally they only do this on Tuesdays and Thursdays but there had been a couple of examiners there earlier that day to test the system but they were not around when I got there. BUT, one had a flight cancellation due to weather and was still over at the Orlando Executive Airport. The FSDO attendant was nice enough to call him to inquire about his availability. Long story short, I bolted the 8 miles over and met with him before he left. I had printed out the 8710-13 without registering on IACRA and he was able to issue the TAC to me on Aug. 29.

One final note that I wasn't aware of is that not all DPE's are able to sign off on the sUAS TAC. They must take the same on-line course that pilots take and have it registered before they can sign anyone off. When I was at the Orlando FSDO, only 5 DPE's were qualified to do so out of the rather large list of DPE's.

Good luck guys!
BTW, you do not need a medical to take a flight review. You only need a current flight review for the remote pilot Cert. Part of that flight review should cover airspace which will help you out. The CFI that does your flight review can sign you off in IACRA for the remote pilot certificate.

Someone that holds a pilot certificate probably enjoyed flying at some point in their life. You may once again enjoy getting back in the air with a CFI to do a flight review.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GroverBaez