Welcome to InspirePilots.com

Join the leading DJI Inspire community for free!

Part 107 Pilots for Hail Season

Discussion in 'Insurance' started by Nick DroneBase, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Nick DroneBase

Hey guys. I posted this in one of the Commercial UAV forums and Phantom Pilots forum as well.

As we approach the hail storm season, we are looking for Part 107 pilots, specifically with some experience doing residential roof inspections in areas from Dark Green to Light Green whether you're in a denser urban/metropolitan area or in a more rural location. We're working with major insurance companies and are excited to finally see large enterprises deciding on the deployment of drone services. I run Operations at DroneBase. Minimum qualifications is a Part 107 or 333 Exemption (obviously) and a Phantom 3 Pro quality drone or better. Scope of services would be images only. We've done hundreds of these inspections across the US post event based scenarios (ex. Hurricane Matthew) and pilots are able to complete the roof inspection in typically in one battery.

Link to the map showing severity of hail storms:

United States

www.dronebase.com

2. 2nd2non

So Nick will you automatically be contacting pilots enrolled on your site by location?

3. Nick DroneBase

Yep - that is the goal for when orders come in from clients. We will have the info necessary and confirm that pilots are 107 or 333 and can meet our minimum requirements.

4. xxJudgedxx

i am 107, and a claims adjuster. im in idaho but have had some bad hail. if you ever branch out this way let me know.

Sent from my SM-N910P using InspirePilots mobile app

#4 xxJudgedxx, Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  5. Nick DroneBase

You are exactly what we're looking for. We are hoping that the enterprise deploys drones, so we need pilots in place that can cover these areas, like Idaho.

Please sign up at dronebase.com/pilots and enter all your info.

rdweaver likes this.
  6. Later6868

Hey Nick, can you give me an idea of what the earning possibilities are and the different variables that may affect the amount of money earned.

Maybe a link to the information? I looked on your site, but was unable to find the info. I suppose I needed to sign up to see it....

7. Bri Guy

I'm NOT sharing my earnings with you !!!
    I called insurance companies 2 springs ago myself, they hired me on the spot.
    I keep all the money, (for the price of a phone call :)

Later6868 and Lagdancer420 like this.
  8. JakeB826

Sent a message through the contact page on your main website. Already signed up for real estate.

9. Bri Guy

$20 bucks a house ........ Good luck with that...... and don't crash, no one will care

10. JakeB826

Good news is that I don't have to take it if it doesn't meet what I need, I'm all about some cost/benefit analysis. :) Even though I hate may day job, I'm fortunate that I don't have to rely on this to eat......yet. I'd like to someday though.

You mind expanding on your insurance job experiences, how you got in, dealt with the individual companies, pricing, etc? Getting certified as an adjuster in my state isn't a horribly arduous task, although there is a time and money commitment. I'm considering doing to it add credibility and professionalism. Won't make me a superstar but forward progress is just that.

I'd appreciate any advice or insight you'd be willing to give.

11. Later6868

Hey Bri - I'm in the insurance claims business and I'm looking hard at getting into the drone side of scoping. Would you mind sharing any insights without divulging any that you feel would be proprietary?

My main interest would be pricing. I would hate to throw out an uneducated price quote that could be too high (and completely blow my chances) or too low (and build a reputation as being a low-baller). It the pricing based on hours on project, size of the property, drive time charges...ect.??

Any guidance would be heavily appreciated.

12. Bri Guy

The problem starts directly with Nick Dronebase and part timer JakeB826 !!

I am a full time commercial operator, and unlike Jake, I don't have a nice fat weekly check to rely on. Jake on the other hand is one of thousands of wanna-be commercial pilots, and has no problem being exploited by guys like Nick Dronebase. Because of his fat weekly paycheck, Jake is willing to sell amatuer drone footage at a fraction of it's value, thus totally screwing us real professionals.

Their is no effing way I'm gonna reach out and help any of you part timers to take food off my kids plates !!!

Go ahead Jake, take lowball offers for your amateur work, and ruin the industry for the professionals, (just don't ask us to help you do that).

Later6868, if you are really in the "insurance claims business", then you already have an "in", (and shouldn't be asking me for my help).

Sorry for such a crappy reply to you guys, but I'm not gonna hide my feelings on this subject!
    I spent a ton of money in order to do this legally full time. Good Luck to you both.

Richard G Hugh likes this.
  13. JakeB826

Hahaha....well, you know what they say about arguing on the internet...its just like winning gold at the Special Olympics....you're the champ alright buuuuut you're still retarded. That being said, I like a good argument so here goes:

Fat paycheck....it ain't that fat but I earn it by lots of hours, sacrifice and huge personal loss over the years (any of your friends dead from doing their jobs? several of mine are). I'm not boohooing about my poor lot in life, I chose this path and accept what came with it. My point is that my fat check isn't just handed to me for free with no effort involved on my part. I do what I have to do while I work towards what I WANT to do...negating the worry of putting food on the table in this profession until I am professional enough to not have to worry. It's called fiscal responsibility, forethought and selflessness. I struggle so my kids don't have to.

My statement about being THAT guy, as far as being new and not knowing pricing, etc was directed specifically at NOT being that guy and learning enough to elevate myself out of being that guy. I didn't start into this or ask questions to relish in my newbness or look for a hand out, I asked to get guidance from anyone willing to donate a few minutes to help me move in the correct, safe and professional direction. Unless professional pilots and successful business owners are hatched and come out all knowing then they had to start somewhere, too. Part of being a professional, in my opinion, is educating yourself from as many credible sources as possible, sometimes you hit a dead end and have to redirect (i.e. this one). And when you do reach that level of professionalism you have a choice. You can extend that same help to those coming up behind you and pay it back or you can stand on top of the pile and put every one else down that isn't as cool as you. Its kind of like a high school kid picking on a third grader...he was there once and is no better other than having more time in the game.

As I stated in my introductory post, I'm here to learn as much as I can to become more professional and to help anyone that I can along the way. Currently, I am new and don't have as much to offer compared to what I am asking for. That won't always be the case. No one owes me anything and I'm sure that at least several experienced professionals have scrolled right on through my new guy dumb questions and snickered. That is completely cool, they owe me nothing but I respect that a lot more than someone lashing out and mf'ing people and throwing around needless negativity.

I'm an inexperienced business guy for sure but I am of the opinion that someday one of my "competitors" will be in a bind and need my help. I can laugh at them and enjoy watching them burn or I can be cool and lend a hand. I choose the latter because next week it might be me in the bind and needing help. I also have been through enough horror and misery in my days that just not feeling like a d!ck and being decent are their own reward.

I'm sure, despite an obvious difference in philosophical and professional leanings, that you are a good guy and probably good at what you do. You don't owe anybody, especially me, anything and I hope that if you are ever in a bind that someone helps you out.

Now that I've said my piece I'm going to politely wish you the best and put you on ignore....it's just the right thing to do. :)

Hey Nick.....my apologies for the sh!t bomb on your thread. If you ever need a hail damage guy in Wilmington, hit a brutha up!!

Later6868 likes this.
  14. Later6868

Thanks for the reply Bri.

Yes, I have an "in". I've been an IA for the last 6 years in Texas and quickly realized after I posted the questions that I'd probably do better by asking the contacts I already have. So sorry about attempting to take advantage of asking an anonymous people in an open forum. My mistake.

Although I will say this, be careful about being such a hardass on people who might want to get into the business we're in. I, like you, tend to not help out others that are asking for internal info, but when in comes to money, I, to an extent, help out. I simply tell them..."don't charge less than this" and figure the rest out on your own. Last thing anyone needs is a lowballer ( notice I was concerned about this in my above post ).

From 25 years of being self-employed, I hated lowballers. If you don't give people help on the price range, all you're doing is damaging your own business by allowing someone else to slice your prices. But, by allowing the potential dumbass to come into the business with no sense of direction, you're exposing yourself to having to deal with those idiots. I'm sure you already know this, but once the price starts dropping, there's no going back up. Protect the bottom line or else pay the consequences. Dumbasses will be dumbasses. Make sure they don't come into the market causing you price issues. I learned that the hard way.

Jus my two cents...

Richard G Hugh likes this.