Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

UK Permission to fly within 150m of open air assembly

Reaction score
Has anyone successfully got permission from the CAA to fly within 150m of an open air assembly of more than 1000 people, using a quad (Inspire in my case)?

I have an opportunity to video a boat racing event taking place on a rowing lake, however if the weather is good there could be up to 5000 spectators present. All flying (with the exception of take off and landing which can be from a controlled side of the lake) would be over the water where participants would be aware and briefed and a separation of around 40m can be maintained from spectators... In your opinion/experience is there a chance of getting approval in this type of scenario?

Thanks in advance.

Has anyone successfully got permission from the CAA to fly within 150m of an open air assembly of more than 1000 people, using a quad (Inspire in my case)?

I have an opportunity to video a boat racing event taking place on a rowing lake, however if the weather is good there could be up to 5000 spectators present. All flying (with the exception of take off and landing which can be from a controlled side of the lake) would be over the water where participants would be aware and briefed and a separation of around 40m can be maintained from spectators... In your opinion/experience is there a chance of getting approval in this type of scenario?

Thanks in advance.
Hmmmm..... I'm going to stick my neck out here and say...... Nope, you wont get it. Not on a quad.
There would be so many hoops to jump through with the OSC (plus charges by the hour from the CAA which could wrack up as it will probably be bounced backwards and forwards a few times).
If it were me that was asked I would politely decline and explain why.
Not sure when the event is but it wouldn't be a quick turnaround from the CAA either (when is it ever? :rolleyes:).
For me, it would be one to walk away from.

As an observation, for two years running a drone ( inspire ) did film at one of the Henley regattas. They flew on opposite side of river to the crowds and mainly operated on a quieter section of the river. They did however fly slightly within 150m of a large crowd.

They did not cover the whole race but just a section and gave complimentary pictures to the bank a launch based cameras over the 2km course.

At the time I thought the operating case was marginal but safe.

Gary

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zaruripapers