Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

UK Pfco practice maneuvers

What we may be seeing is inconsistency of approach by NQEs (possibly cussed by similar inconsistencies in CAA inspection regimes?). I would recommend you to contact your test provider and ask them what they expect.

Sounds like it depends on who you get on the day and who you do your training with. I'm figuring if I practice enough manoeuvres with the goal of nailing my handling and proficiency I 'should' have myself covered.

I'm pretty much of the same mind set as yourself. I'd rather do the very best I possibly can rather than just meet the minimum requirement for a pass.

Cheers
Dave

How long is the flight test?
I currently only have two batteries, should I be looking at getting more?
Your NQE will be able to answer that one (some will want longer air time than others). Also, if they are not happy with a maneuver they might ask you to do it again.
You should not be hindered because of a lack of batteries but make them aware of how many you have before the test.

Oh, and one other tip - verbalise everything. Examiners/instructors will really appreciate that.
So if they tell you to climb to 400ft confirm with something like
"Commencing climb to 400ft.........approaching 400ft,......maintaining hover"

Reactions: Dave Smith
Cheers guys. Appreciate the advice.

I'm completely new to drones ( 1 hour ) so at the moment I'm doing everything slowly, slowly with beginner mode switched on in the app! However, once I've got the basics squared away it's my intention to do everything in atti mode. My thinking is that if I can become proficient in my handling without relying on GPS it will pay dividends come the flight test, especially if the weathers a bit ropey. Does this sound like a reasonable plan?
Think about investing in a Blade Nano ($90US). It is difficult to fly and indestructible. I practiced at home whenever I could a few minutes at a time. When you fly indoors in small room, it teaches you real fast to finely control your bird. Since it does not have GPS, it is much harder to fly than your drone, it will build confidence in no time without putting at risk your expensive bird.

How long is the flight test?
I currently only have two batteries, should I be looking at getting more?

I would have at least one more so that you have removed this worry from the test. You will need enough batteries for a full days work at some time soon anyway.

Think about investing in a Blade Nano ($90US). It is difficult to fly and indestructible. I practiced at home whenever I could a few minutes at a time. When you fly indoors in small room, it teaches you real fast to finely control your bird. Since it does not have GPS, it is much harder to fly than your drone, it will build confidence in no time without putting at risk your expensive bird.
Haha, I converted one of those to brushless! Great fun.
(That's one of the CP Heli's not a blade QX)

Reactions: Cactuswest
No - that is totally irrelevant for the flight assessment.
The instructors are ONLY interested that you can make your flights safely, within the conditions stipulated in your ops manual and in accordance with the Air Navigation Order.
They have no interest how pretty your flight looks.
This is bang on. Not interested in inverted nose-in yaw. In the U.K. Flight assessment is a fixed disciplin based on safety. In the U.K. If an assessor is asking for nose-in or nose-out (banked turning) figure 8's then this is down to them not the CAA assessment criteria. I didn't do any nose-in/out 8's and got 100%

Reactions: Dave Smith
Sorry all fingers and thumbs today.
David the actual flying is about 20 minutes so would concur with JC probably best to get a third one
One last think. It's like your driving test. Exaggerate your body language. If you are checking the sky before take-off make sure it's obvious that that's what you are doing. Which NQE are you going with? I can recommend Resource Group (editor sorry this isn't an advert) No cheap but very professional.

David the actual flying is about 20 minutes so would concur with JC probably best to get a third one
One last think. It's like your driving test. Exaggerate your body language. If you are checking the sky before take-off make sure it's obvious that that's what you are doing. Which NQE are you going with? I can recommend Resource Group (editor sorry this isn't an advert) No cheap but very professional.

Yep I used Resource Group UK they were great. Made me sweat a bit but that was all to the good. Managed 95% on flight test and have never since forgotten the things I did forget on the day.

Hi,

I'm going with Rusta and have the ground school starting next week. Hopefully get the flight test sorted around February, although I'm flapping a bit as I only have an hour total under my belt so far. Going to have to think of some ingenious ways of practising if the weathers completely pants between now and the test.
Anyone got a big aircraft hangar that I could use? :)

Hopefully be doing my flight test early new year and I'm wanting to get as much practice as possible prior to taking it.

Any recommendations for stuff to practice that you guys felt definitely helped prior to you taking yours?

Cheers
Dave

I joined the local BMFA club and that gave me a winter indoor venue to clock up time on a Hubsan to really get used to orientation flying. Just clocking up hours of airtime so that your FRCs become second nature is a good idea. My spotter even had a checklist to make sure the FRC checklists were followed! Team work is what it is all about for safe flying and good pictures. if your aircraft has a simulator then clock up time on that as well if not get a 3rd party program. On the day you need the in-built confidence to know you and your team can just do it and then the odd mistake can be partially mitigated by demonstrating that you have the knowledge deep down to operate safely.

I joined the local BMFA club and that gave me a winter indoor venue to clock up time on a Hubsan to really get used to orientation flying. Just clocking up hours of airtime so that your FRCs become second nature is a good idea. My spotter even had a checklist to make sure the FRC checklists were followed! Team work is what it is all about for safe flying and good pictures. if your aircraft has a simulator then clock up time on that as well if not get a 3rd party program. On the day you need the in-built confidence to know you and your team can just do it and then the odd mistake can be partially mitigated by demonstrating that you have the knowledge deep down to operate safely.
Ha I was also going to suggest the same, I joined as a country member which means your not tied to any one site. [emoji106]

This is all fascinating stuff for me too.
Similar situation. Got PPL years ago and now looking at commercial drone flying.
Looking to book some training and tests at the Drone Show.

David how did ground school go? JC suggested simulator if your aircraft has one. This is a great idea and will help you through Those rainy days. You could also get a little trainer Blade, Hubsan etc from the net for £50-100 that you can fly inside. They have the same controls as any UAV and these are useful skills to learn for ATTI flying

David how did ground school go? JC suggested simulator if your aircraft has one. This is a great idea and will help you through Those rainy days. You could also get a little trainer Blade, Hubsan etc from the net for £50-100 that you can fly inside. They have the same controls as any UAV and these are useful skills to learn for ATTI flying

Went really well, thanks.
Quite intensive as there is a lot to cram in over a two day period. Coming from an aviation background definitely helped. However, there were quite a few on the course who had no prior aviation knowledge who also did really well. If anyone is at the stage of choosing a course provider then I'd definitely recommend RUSTA.

I've given the DJI simulator a whirl but I'm not a fan to be honest. A bit too basic and very difficult to judge distance, making manoeuvres like a manual POI a tad unrealistic.

I've bought a Syma X5C to chuck around (in a safe, legal and CAP 722 kind of way :) )

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanneStoc