Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Phantom 4 Pro or Mavic Pro?

Reaction score
Website
www.airnashville.net
I must admit that I was all prepared to buy a Mavic Pro next month but, now given the specs on the new Phantom 4 Pro I doubt I will. Yes, the Mavic is much more portable but, that's where any real advantage seems to end for me. The Phantom 4 Pro with a 20MP sensor, 5 axis obstacle avoidance and many other superior features just knock the Mavic out of consideration. Does anyone else see a real life for the Mavic outside of the realm of obnoxious skateboarding hipster wannabes? For that matter, does the Inspire 1, by default, now become the "Phantom Standard?" In 2 years will all these considerations be the dust of rapidly changing technology (probably)?

My current plan is to supplement my fleet with a Inspire 2 with X5S and a Phantom 4 Pro. The Mavic is no longer even a consideration. I've been wondering how many people preordered Mavics and are now cancelling to switch to the Phantom 4 Pro...

Your last question - none. For me if I have an inspire I'd just get a Mavic. You've never used one so you might not understand how amazing it is [emoji4] I have one in my bag everywhere I go. It's THAT amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the 4Pro is awesome as a backup, and for specific uses like following objects.
If I would go on a hiking journey, which I don't do all that often, the Mavic would be great.

My current plan is to supplement my fleet with a Inspire 2 with X5S and a Phantom 4 Pro. The Mavic is no longer even a consideration. I've been wondering how many people preordered Mavics and are now cancelling to switch to the Phantom 4 Pro...

I waited for this announcement as the only positive thing about the Mavic Pro to me was the ultra portability. No camera upgrade (other than mechanical shutter) = no reason to pop for this little guy. Yes, it is revolutionary, but it is definitely a consumer level platform.
The P4P is everything I hoped it would be with that new camera being at the top of my short list. The sensor size increase and jump to 20 MP is what I've waited for. I'm still very happy with my P-3 and will keep it as a long-proven back-up.
I'm waiting on dropping the investment on the Inspire 2 for a little while. To me, that platform is going to need a little time on the market to test all of the new technology.

There is so much to be excited about with these new releases.

20 megapixels is pretty amazing upgrade of the Phantom 4. That is as clear as it gets. Probably with the Mavic, the punishment given on these test videos makes me want to get one just to see how great it can be. If you really appreciate a professional camera set up, you would really want to consider the Phantom 4 Professional. Portability though is a strong selling point.

I certainly understand the portability factor. The Mavic still has a very good camera but, that's where my rational side starts leaning toward the 4P. If I were a naturalist or most of my work required packing in my equipment, then it is a Mavic play. In a way, the P4P is a Inspire 2 (X4S) with only 2 axis of camera movement. One battery provides same flight time as 2 on I2. No, my emotional side just thinks the Mavic is the toy I've always wanted.

I have all the dji drones including the inspire x5 pro and xt thermal camera, despite having to use the inspire for thermal work since getting hold of the magic 2 weeks ago it's been amazing. The ability to grab and go has meant this little pocket rocket now lives in the secured box in my landrover and is with me always. it won't replace my other kit for film and TV work but I am able to fly reconnaissance flights before filming in minutes which has been a god send. I will be purchasing the I2 when I've managed to convince the wife we need more kit!

Sent from my iPhone using InspirePilots

Reactions: Dr. Ifly Drones
The issue for me and for most people who travel a lot is portability. I have an Inspire 1 with 6 batteries, I have a 3DR Solo with 7 batteries. In the last 2 years I've been on vacation 8 times and guess how many times I've taken either of those drones with me; 0! I'm going to order the Mavic in December once all the woopla dies down. Guess how many times the mavic will be on vacation with me; every time, starting in February.. lol

Just like any other device, it's not the tool, it's the user and what you can do with the content you're collecting. Post processing is an area that many pilots fall short in and regardless of what you capture, if your post processing skills are lacking, you might as well attach your smart phone to seagull and hope for the best because in essence, that's exactly what you're doing.

Just my opinion.

Just like any other device, it's not the tool, it's the user and what you can do with the content you're collecting. Post processing is an area that many pilots fall short in and regardless of what you capture, if your post processing skills are lacking, you might as well attach your smart phone to seagull and hope for the best because in essence, that's exactly what you're doing.

I agree with what you're saying... to a point. Being skilled in post cannot always makeup for hardware that is lacking. We've beyond maxx'ed out what a 1/2" sensor can really do with dreary low light levels. 12.5 MP resolution is just outdated and seriously needed a boost. Not to mention the bit rate for 4K video catching-up to were it needed to be.

The Mavic is excellent for vacation videos, no doubt there. If budget were no concern, I'd order all three and use them appropriately for different level shoots. But based on my experience and the specs released, the P4P is the best bang for the buck covering many different tiers of what a professional and hobbyist would need in the 'tool box.' I applaud DJI for making this release at this price point!
I also want to punch them in the throat for making me want to drop $6K+ at the same time on the I2. o_O

Did I mention how DJI just dropped the dagger on the aerial camera platform industry in one fell swoop?

Everything released yesterday is still a prosumer product in my opinion and DJI simply made it more attractive to prosumers and advanced hobbyists in my opinion.

Did I mention how DJI just dropped the dagger on the aerial camera platform industry in one fell swoop?

The pace with which DJI is innovating and driving the industry forward is quite astonishing. To release this many new products in such a short time is remarkable. It's like they were cruising at 120mph and have just now decided to put their foot flat on the accelerator. The danger of course is that DJI becomes so dominant that they eliminate all of the competition, they get complacent and the progress stalls.

I did a few solo bicycle trips in 2009(Beijing to Istanbul via the Stans and Iran) and 2015 (Ushuaia to Bolivia via Patagonia, Carretera Austral and then Abra del Acay, the highest highway in America), I only had a conventional camera and I was alone, trying to do photo shoot in these area is very hard.

The Mavic Pro will certainly be my number 1 choice if I am going out there again.

Cold Tempature flying. This is what I got from the DJI chat today. You are only allowed 20 photos so I had to delete his and mine for most of it but you can tell who is saying what. Please read their web page from to back and get the facts before you purchase. That is why I purchased the Inspire 2 that can take a XT camera if they would unlock the firmware.

• Hi there! Thank you for contacting DJI Pre-sales support, My name is Junrey, how may i help you today?
  • 11:24

• What is the low temperature rating for flying the Mavic Alpine white pro?

• sure, glad to check that for you Scot.
  • wKhYBVl7YcWAINdSAAAPjfmGW0E456.jpg

One moment please, i will check my resources and will be back as soon as possible!
  • visitor.png

Alpine means very high and in the winter it is cold.
  • 11:25

• Thanks for patiently waiting!

• atually its the same specs from our mavic pro Scot, Operating Temperature Range 32° to 104° F (0° to 40° C)
  • visitor.png

so that means it is better than the Mavic Pro for temperature. Correct?
  • 11:27

• i mean it has the same specs
  • visitor.png

Not according to the web page specs
  • 11:29

• i can tell you Scot that its the same specs/
  • visitor.png

Ok my real question for the day is why do you have a picture of the Phantom Pro only having a cool temperature of 32 degrees F and show you skiing in the background? That is very miss leading! Please let your web page builder know this. That is just wrong
  • 11:31

• but your question is about mavic alpine white Scot.
  • visitor.png

why do I have to repeat myself. Ok my real question for the day is why do you have a picture of the Phantom Pro only having a cool temperature of 32 degrees F and show you skiing in the background? That is very miss leading! Please let your web page builder know this. That is just wrong
  • 11:32

• oh i see, let me check on that.

• can you please take a screen shot on it?
  • visitor.png

Just go to the Phantom Pro specs page
  • 11:35

• You get all your info just from the web pages anyway, and I hate chats as I prefer a phone call like the rest of the world.

• for phantom 4 pro the Operating Temperature Range 32° to 104°F (0° to 40°C)
  • 11:36

• right 32 degrees F and there is no powder snow as in the photo. Snow melts at 32 degrees F or 0 C
  • 11:38

• actually you can fly Scot as there is a battery warmer inside however once it will reach to a negative temperature you will get alarmed thru apps
  • wKhYBVkeo1OAIeMZAAAGiXIap-A980.png

【System Message】It has been a while since we heard from you. The chat will end automatically in two minutes.
  • 11:43
  • visitor.png

Battery warmer for the Inspire 2 and thats is all that is advertised. I imagine you will freeze your battery on the Mavic or the Phantom if you fly at 10degrees F Don't tell customers what are not written in the facts. can you take a screen shot of that for me please?

• yeah i know its not like the inspire feature Scot.
  • 11:44

• I didn't say it was. But give me a screen shot so I can see it is fine to fly at below those temperatures.
  • 11:47

• there is no picture or written Scot but like gadget with battery with use of it, it will make the battery warm but not in the long run.
  • 11:49

• I hate being lied to. Do you do this to all your customers? This needs to be put on the Forums so everyone knows that Junrey says it is OK to fly below the recommended temperatures I make that happen for us consumers.
  • 11:50

• yes that is your right Scot, but i have already provided you the required Operating Temperature Range 32° to 104°F (0° to 40°C)

• and you are insisting about the photo so technically i was thinking about it since our apps will warn you if the temperature does not match really.
  • 11:54

• Too bad you have to lie to keep your job. You can't fly them at below 32 degrees F as there is no battery warmers in the batteries or there would be an indicator in the specs. Find yourself a new job. You can't lie to customers on an easy answer. You only have to look it up good luck with your new job .

• From your management!
  • 11:55

• its your right and good luck.

• I just wanted the facts. Your fired. Get your things and go home.
  • 11:57

• Thanks anyway Sir, your a blessed person. have a great day ahead.

• Is there anything else I can help you today?
  • visitor.png

Tell the truth.
  • 11:59

• Sir, how many times ive told you about the operating temperature and possible you can still fly it but our apps may warned or alarmed that the battery is beyond the temperature

It really depends on your purposes. If you want a drone to take with you to remote places so you can grab some footage and on vacation. Mavic hands down. P4P is too big to "just throw in your luggage". But if you want to be able to take photos and video or mapping for business - P4P hands down, best value for what you get, and the color you get right out of the drone is really good. So to expand you business - P4P, just for you to grab footage for you - MAVIC. IMHO

Reactions: SanCap
It depends on what you want. Yes P4P has better camera abilities and has 5 directional obstacle sensing, but from the personal experience - Mavic Pro has its advantages. First of all it is portable and has almost similar flight time as P4P. If you're looking for the drone which takes best quality footage, you have to go with Phantom 4 Pro, but I'd say that as a drone Mavic Pro is better than P4P. There are so many factors like Video Transmission System - OcuSync that gives Mavic Pro big advantages. Personally, I prefer comparing Mavic Air vs Phantom 4 Pro, but if it's between Mavic Pro vs Phantom 4 Pro I'd go with Mavic Pro.

It depends on what you want. Yes P4P has better camera abilities and has 5 directional obstacle sensing, but from the personal experience - Mavic Pro has its advantages. First of all it is portable and has almost similar flight time as P4P. If you're looking for the drone which takes best quality footage, you have to go with Phantom 4 Pro, but I'd say that as a drone Mavic Pro is better than P4P. There are so many factors like Video Transmission System - OcuSync that gives Mavic Pro big advantages. Personally, I prefer comparing Mavic Air vs Phantom 4 Pro, but if it's between Mavic Pro vs Phantom 4 Pro I'd go with Mavic Pro.
this was posted in 2016, the Air wasnt even a thought

How about the P4 Pro 2.0 that came out today...P$P capabilities with OccuSync.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarthmovingAdelaide