Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Playing 4K Video

Hi guys I have just used my Inspire 1 for the first time and I took some pictures and video, the pictures I can view fine , but the video file won't open for me. Can someone tell me why? What is the minimum requirements for a computer to be able to play it and also what media program should i be using? Its a MOV file Thanks

What format were you shooting in and what computer/OS are you using? Sounds like you are just missing the codec for playback

Thanks for your help but looks like I made the mistake of not pausing the recording before I shut down my drone. The little fix that I have seen was to put my SD card back in the drone and wait for a minute, but I have made the mistake of removing the file from the SD card, so I doubt that will work.

Codec for Inspire Footage

You should definitely use quicktime to play the files back in my opinion. It's free, so go to the quicktime site and get it loaded. From there, you have to ensure you have the codec required (also available from quicktime site). According to the Specs at dji.com, the mov files are MP4/MOV The codec used is MPEG-4 AVC/H.264. just search that on the site, download and install. You'll be ready to go

Last edited:
Reactions: ronsonwhitaker
Closing a video file

Thanks for your help but looks like I made the mistake of not pausing the recording before I shut down my drone. The little fix that I have seen was to put my SD card back in the drone and wait for a minute, but I have made the mistake of removing the file from the SD card, so I doubt that will work.

And there's a solution for that too. You should notice the file is still there (and pretty large). The problem is it seem unreadable right? If so, then you just need to close the file. There are a number of pieces of software that "closes a movie file" I had to get this when I crashed a GoPro from 30 ft.

Last edited:
Un Delete a file on a chip

Un-delete a file... on a PC I think you can download "card raider" to get erased files back as long as you don't write to the disk before you attempt the recover. I think Cardraider is shareware even.

Last edited:
editing 4k video is problematic at best, then uploading to youtube is even more problematic......ive noticed when you upload a 4k vid to youtube, any youtube editing you do will render your vid to 1080, even if you fix a shaky video by hitting the yes button.....
you need a beast of a pc with a high end video card and even then it could very well take you all day to render it.
I have a 65" LGUHDTV, and i can take a video straight from the memory card and write it to a USB stick, then put it into the usb on my tv and it plays.
but no matter what i do to edit it, when i render it to 4k 30fps, it will no longer play on my tv via USB.
what software are you guys using to edit???
as for us not being able to see any difference between 4k and 1080......im gonna have to cry BS on that one.

jon b, thanks for your help but I have used my sd card since, I have the file that I can't watch saved on my computer. Whats your suggestions?

Im just curious if there's no visual difference between 1080 vs 4K why have all these 4K TV's & 4K cameras it would the biggest marketing scam ever :)

There is a huge difference between 1080 and 4K, as long as you view it properly and your eyes are up to the task ;)

It so happens that the way 95% of people will view it will hide the difference indeed, so it's only "half a scam" as in you're pushed to buy something you likely won't make use of... but it's there if you do ;)

YES! - I have a lot of experience with 4k, both acquisition and display.

To be honest you'd be better off saving your money as at normal viewing distances you will not be able to tell the difference between HD and 4k.

The human eye is simply not capable of resolving that much resolution. At best, assuming you have 20/20 vision you will be able to resolve 1/60 of a degree of an arc. You would need to sit closer than 8 feet from a 60" screen to be able to perceive only a 10% improvement over HD !

I'm sure a lot of people that have purchased 4k panels will go "ohhh...ahhhh.... the picture is soooooo much better" but they are fooling themselves into believing they can see an improvement - they simply can't..... It's biology and physics. Unless you are projecting 4096 x 2160 onto a 10 foot screen you are wasting your money.

Also, do not forget that UHD (4k) does not even enter the Blu-Ray spec. In fact nor even does 1920x1080 50/60p! You will be watching 50i or 60i footage if you dump your 50p or 60p footage to Blu-Ray which means loosing circa 1/3 perceived resolution due to the Kell Factor.

4k as an aquisition brings it's own problems when it comes to post, editing and workflow although it does allow you to manipulate the footage somewhat.

OK - you asked the question as to what sort of player you could use to put 4k footage onto your TV (assuming you have decided to waste your money and buy one ! :p). Since you cannot use Blu-Ray, in order to maintain the integrity of your wonderous 4096 x 2160 footage you will be limited to:
A solid state device (hugely expensive and will not allow large/long video files to be stored)
A dedicated 4k recorder like the AJA Ki or Atomos (more expensive that buying the DJI Inspire 1 !
Some sort of hard drive/SSD hybrid device which will of course re-compress the original footage from it's original MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 format and may well not preserve a high enough bit rate (the Inspire peaks at 60Mbps) which will of course be is counter productive in shooting in 4k in the first place :mad:

It's not easy.... this 4k malarky !!!

Super post and right to the point - with the introduction of 4K and all the BS from manufactures has everyone is under the impression that HD is now like VHS quality.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexzazz