Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

possible courses of X5's out of box poor video quality

Thanks, and back on the thread I must say I was pretty impressed with the technical quality of the shots of Glastonbury Tor. A definite step up from the X3 to my eye.

Just having a peek at your showreel (looking for other X5 samples) - was it difficult getting permissions for Stonehenge/Boscombe Down/Middle Wallop MATZ and around danger zones EGD120/5?
Not seen anyone do that before.
The shots of Western Super Mare must have been a real 'Mare' getting the permissions for those especially all those people on the beach and the road - Still....I'm sure it was all under your control.
Was that a CASOC/OSC submission? Must have taken months.
Do share your secrets as some of us PFAW guys on the forum would love to know your tips and tricks for getting the CAA to approve them.

Hi Editor, how did you find my showreel? It's not on youtube or linked to on here..

Perhaps a little friendly tone would be more appropriate. I'm not taking paid work until approved to do so. It's all portfolio stuff. I took those videos when I first got the phantom 3. I checked No Fly Zones | DJI & a few other sites. It sounds like you know your stuff. Great, perhaps you can share your knowledge. Maybe we can get DJI's map updated to be a bit more advanced so that people starting out like me avoid this.

Inspire pro is from Heliguys who are also doing my CAA course at the end of the month. I'm pretty excited by the quality of the new products.

Hi Editor, how did you find my showreel? It's not on youtube or linked to on here..

Perhaps a little friendly tone would be more appropriate. I'm not taking paid work until approved to do so. It's all portfolio stuff. I took those videos when I first got the phantom 3. I checked No Fly Zones | DJI & a few other sites. It sounds like you know your stuff. Great, perhaps you can share your knowledge. Maybe we can get DJI's map updated to be a bit more advanced so that people starting out like me avoid this.

Inspire pro is from Heliguys who are also doing my CAA course at the end of the month. I'm pretty excited by the quality of the new products.
I'm a moderator on here, so I see all (even if you cant see it!)......With regards to your site whilst I am not the CAA police, might I respectfully suggest you take down any reference to you having CAA approval (which you do not have) from your website?
In doing so you are advertising as though you already have PFAW granted. The CAA will not look kindly on that especially if you are hoping to achieve it.
Additionally you would NEVER get permissions to operate around/over Stonehenge unless you jumped through some serious hoops. I only know of one company (operating for the BBC) who has achieved this and if took months of negotiation and was not possible with a quadcopter due to no redundancy. There are more than a couple of restrictions in that area that are active every day from surface to 30,000ft. It is surrounded by EGD zones and also falls under Military controlled airspace. It is not sufficient just to check DJI's no fly zones and if they don't have one then assume you are good to go - YOU are responsible for making sure the flight is safe and legal to make and YOU are responsible if something goes wrong. Your groundschool will take you through all of this as well as making sure you understand CAP722 - 166/7 which will be your bible. You will also be taken through flight/route planning, ATC permissions, air law and meteorology to name but a few and you will need to write an ops manual for submission to the CAA. This will be around 40-60 pages and will encompass your entire working practice's.
You are most welcome on the forum but please do not advertise as something you are not (yet) as it will pee a lot of PFAW holders on this community off!
When you go through your groundschool etc you will appreciate why you might not want to post some of the videos you have and chance the CAA sniffing around!
Joel and Justin at Heliguy will look after you, good luck on working towards PFAW, it's hard work but worth it. :)

Dopeytree.
Thank you for posting this example, Iam slightly more encouraged in the X5 after seeing your footage.
Iam concerned with the X5 focusing system or lack of however. I would have thought you could stop the aperture down and lock focus say a third of the way into the frame and you should get good focus into the rest of the frame.
Your footage of the Tor looked great as it was clearly in focus while the horizon was slightly soft giving that lovely 3d look.

My concern is how to keep focus when you are moving around a scene a lot which I guess is why dji also brought out the focus puller for the X5r

I look forward to seeing some more footage from forum members in the future showing what the X5 is capable of.

On another note The Editor is right in what he says about lack of permissions etc. Once you have done your training and PWFA you will realise the risks you took. Good luck with the training.

So my question is... Are these things shipping already?
I ordered an Inspire 1 Pro from DJI the morning after the announcement, and it was shipped from Shenzen yesterday. It should be delivered to me in the US on Tuesday.

Bah, shoulda ordered through DJI then and not B&H...
Well I'm looking forward to the litany of reviews and early test videos while I wait a bit longer!

I ordered my original Inspire from DJI. Then I ordered another from B&H because it looked like it would be shipped sooner. Then they both got shipped the same day, and I had to eat the return postage on the B&H unit.

So I don't think you will have to wait too long.

Reactions: gruvpix
These would be useful in the next app update: focus peaking, & a double tap to zoom in on the picture feed: to check focus although you could do this via external hdmi screen. Also is 120fps coming to these cameras & the x3 as it is now standard on the new Osmo handheld gimbal which uses an "updated" x3.

These would be useful in the next app update: focus peaking, & a double tap to zoom in on the picture feed: to check focus although you could do this via external hdmi screen. Also is 120fps coming to these cameras & the x3 as it is now standard on the new Osmo handheld gimbal which uses an "updated" x3.
Focus peaking will be of little use on wide lenses like this since the DOF is deep and nearly all your subject matter is some distance away - this means virtually everything will be highlighted so getting critical focus will be very hard.
The 120fps question is unanswered by DJI presently.

Focus peaking will be of little use on wide lenses like this since the DOF is deep and nearly all your subject mater is some distance away - this means virtually everything will be highlighted so getting critical focus will be very hard.
The 120fps question is unanswered by DJI presently.

Just checked the app & it does have peaking. You can choose: None / 70% / 80% / 90% however with any of these ticked the picture quality becomes very noisey. Peaking highlights what is in focus in red. Very useful for the other lenses like the olympus 45 equivalent to a 90mm. Hopefully it will be allowed to be assigned to a custom button to quickly turn on & off.

One thing to note the depth of field is very different on these 4/3 lenses than my canon full frame gear. I've got the dji 15mm so equivalent of a 30mm. Possibly a bit tight to be honest! Only if you're at f16 will everything be peaking.

I do hope DJI bring 120fps over. For sports it's perfect. 1080p would be fine. Even go pros have this.

Just got my inspire pro today. It seems pretty good just on the default settings! This is with 2.5 sharpness in final cut pro x. 4k 24fps. 50 shutter. f6 - f10 iso 100.

This is the best looking footage I've seen thus far from a "normal consumer," although looking at Dopeytree's photo, I would imagine he is far from normal. The footage looks crisp, the turf doesn't turn to blotchy patterns as it does with the EX3. The camera looks to be in focus, unlike several other side by side demos recently posted. I am encouraged. Thank you dopeytree!

Reactions: johnmont250
It is unfair to judge footage on YouTube. They re-compress no matter what you do. So does Vimeo. Is there another platform where we can properly view at the same quality as the source material?

How does the 1080 quality version compare to what you had as a source? What I saw on YouTube was not as sharp as I get from my X3 camera at 1080, yet you are usinga much more expensive camera with a larger chip and better lenses.

BTW Yesterday, I tried shooting at 4K, so that I could 'Zoom' in post down to 1080 and get closer than CASA (Australian Air safety) allows. The footage zoomed at 1080 looks terrible compared to footage shot at 1080. I may start another thread to discuss this.

Just checked the app & it does have peaking. You can choose: None / 70% / 80% / 90% however with any of these ticked the picture quality becomes very noisey. Peaking highlights what is in focus in red. Very useful for the other lenses like the olympus 45 equivalent to a 90mm. Hopefully it will be allowed to be assigned to a custom button to quickly turn on & off.

One thing to note the depth of field is very different on these 4/3 lenses than my canon full frame gear. I've got the dji 15mm so equivalent of a 30mm. Possibly a bit tight to be honest! Only if you're at f16 will everything be peaking.

I do hope DJI bring 120fps over. For sports it's perfect. 1080p would be fine. Even go pros have this.

where to activate the focus peaking?

can you let me see a screenshot where to activate the focus peaking?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ccalegalfirm