Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Practice in DeBeque Canyon

Reaction score
Good practice day, but windy. First time using the Olympus 45mm lens. Neewer ND-8 filter. Still working on getting color and white balance correct. Open to any reasonable critique or advice.

Beautiful location and nice shooting!
Is that x5 or x5r and what's the frame rate you shoot? The playback doesn't seem smooth, especially on the side moving / panning shots. Im wondering did a slower flying will help to avoid that effect? It could be a codec issue but I guess it's more likely to be by the way how the long lens is used. There's calculator on the red cameras web site where can be check what is the maximum pan speed with certain mm lens and shutter speed combination so to avoid shutter effect or choppy playback. Unfortunately it's only for red cameras and their sensor sizes but the theory applies to all cmos sensors. Did the original footage plays the same way?

Beautiful location and nice shooting!
Is that x5 or x5r and what's the frame rate you shoot? The playback doesn't seem smooth, especially on the side moving / panning shots. Im wondering did a slower flying will help to avoid that effect? It could be a codec issue but I guess it's more likely to be by the way how the long lens is used. There's calculator on the red cameras web site where can be check what is the maximum pan speed with certain mm lens and shutter speed combination so to avoid shutter effect or choppy playback. Unfortunately it's only for red cameras and their sensor sizes but the theory applies to all cmos sensors. Did the original footage plays the same way?

Standard X5, 4K 30 FPS. Camera was in manual, 1/30 sec shutter speed and F8-F16 aperture. I was hoping someone would mention the jitter in playback, it seemed worse in Final Cut Pro than on the raw footage, and much worse when I uploaded. However, the raw footage has a lot more camera shake from the wind, so maybe FCP applied some stabilization automatically or when it re-encoded caused some temporal problems? Definitely not as bad on slower pans though. Thanks!

Reactions: niki and SanCap
Standard X5, 4K 30 FPS. Camera was in manual, 1/30 sec shutter speed and F8-F16 aperture. I was hoping someone would mention the jitter in playback, it seemed worse in Final Cut Pro than on the raw footage, and much worse when I uploaded. However, the raw footage has a lot more camera shake from the wind, so maybe FCP applied some stabilization automatically or when it re-encoded caused some temporal problems? Definitely not as bad on slower pans though. Thanks!

Nice video and location, I used to live in Steamboat Springs and passed thru that area frequently. I wonder if you had bumped the shutter speed up to 1/60th if your jitters would still be there?

Nice video and location, I used to live in Steamboat Springs and passed thru that area frequently. I wonder if you had bumped the shutter speed up to 1/60th if your jitters would still be there?

I thought of that, or maybe shooting 2K and higher frame rate. Unfortunately looks like rain tonight and most of this week (and that pesky day job), so might not get out any time soon.

I thought of that, or maybe shooting 2K and higher frame rate. Unfortunately looks like rain tonight and most of this week (and that pesky day job), so might not get out any time soon.

Typically you want your shutter speed twice the FPS, so if you are shooting at 60 FPS set your shutter speed to 1/120th.

Your settings look good to me, I also shoot at 1/30 when I want more motion blur but some times I'm shooting event at 1/240 just to have a crisper image but then I have to move slowly because something similar start to happen when playing back the footage. So far the combination of 25mm and a bit of wind causes some vibrations in the tests I've done in relatively calm weather and it look that a longer lens than that will be unusable but you'r tests look promising. There are a few clips on the net showing pretty good use of 45mm and a lot more with poor quality. My practice tells me that it's hard to believe that for one it's working and for 10 others it's not working. I read some people are stating that using CF props will give more stable results with long lenses but this info is not confirmed by too many :) By the way what was the weather at the time of shooting, was there some wind or gusts?

PS
Maybe shooting at 1080@60 at 1/60 or 1/120 will result in better playback.

Reactions: ReadyKilowatt
Your settings look good to me, I also shoot at 1/30 when I want more motion blur but some times I'm shooting event at 1/240 just to have a crisper image but then I have to move slowly because something similar start to happen when playing back the footage. So far the combination of 25mm and a bit of wind causes some vibrations in the tests I've done in relatively calm weather and it look that a longer lens than that will be unusable but you'r tests look promising. There are a few clips on the net showing pretty good use of 45mm and a lot more with poor quality. My practice tells me that it's hard to believe that for one it's working and for 10 others it's not working. I read some people are stating that using CF props will give more stable results with long lenses but this info is not confirmed by too many :) By the way what was the weather at the time of shooting, was there some wind or gusts?

PS
Maybe shooting at 1080@60 at 1/60 or 1/120 will result in better playback.

There was a fair amount of wind, about 10 MPH and gusty. It really shows on the raw footage with the camera having a tough time holding in some shots. That's why I think Final Cut Pro is applying some stabilization or introducing temporal artifacts. I'm a little mad that the forecast called for rain this afternoon and it is fairly sunny right now, no batteries charged, so can't try out different settings tonight. :(

There was a fair amount of wind, about 10 MPH and gusty. It really shows on the raw footage with the camera having a tough time holding in some shots. That's why I think Final Cut Pro is applying some stabilization or introducing temporal artifacts. I'm a little mad that the forecast called for rain this afternoon and it is fairly sunny right now, no batteries charged, so can't try out different settings tonight. :(

As far as I know FCPX will only stabilize if you ask it to, nothing automatic unless it is setup to do so.

Why are you shooting 30fps? 30 fps progressive will always look weird. It's not a format anyone is used to seeing. When you shoot 29.97 that is for a 60hz interlaced playback, and 24fps almost always has 2:3 pull down applied, so 30 fps progressive is just going to look weird.

Nice! I used to live in Carbondale and often went horseback riding in Cameo Canyon (near Debeque Canyon) where there were quite a few wild Mustangs roaming the cliffs. Glenwood Canyon would also be beautiful to shoot - with white water rafters in the summer months.
I agree with previous poster - shoot at double the shutter speed as the frame rate and that should take care of the jitter - ie: 60 fps @ 120 shutter. And the 45mm lens just exaggerates the effect.

Were the settings the same in all of the shots?
Is it possible your drone/ panning speed in some of the shots is too fast for 30fps? The slower scenes seemed much smoother.
It may need bumping up to 48 or 60fps for the faster shots/pans, especially given the shutter speed in relation to the fps.

Reactions: niki
Nice! I used to live in Carbondale and often went horseback riding in Cameo Canyon (near Debeque Canyon) where there were quite a few wild Mustangs roaming the cliffs. Glenwood Canyon would also be beautiful to shoot - with white water rafters in the summer months.
I agree with previous poster - shoot at double the shutter speed as the frame rate and that should take care of the jitter - ie: 60 fps @ 120 shutter. And the 45mm lens just exaggerates the effect.

Yep. I drive through Glenwood Canyon all the time and have done a little filming there too. But between the highway, river and railroad I get a little nervous about a failure or error being catastrophic. The location I was in for this practice was along the old highway which is now basically a parking area/bike path, so no traffic at all.

Thanks for all the tips. This weekend was kind of a bust as far as getting out to fly, but maybe after work this week I'll get some time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zaruripapers