Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Premiere Pro Optimum Settings?

Our systems sound very similar. I'm not experiencing any trouble. In fact,, I am amazed at how smooth everything is running using the 4k material.

I have found that scrubbing over a 5 minute shot in the source monitor and a five second shot on the timeline have always been two different things--1080p or 4k.
Would be good to see your specs.
As scrubbing is very disk intensive, I'm wondering if I need to look at that first.

Guess I really need to try an up-to-the-minute PC build to see how smooth it is.
It's not your hardware; you probably have the fastest editing system of anyone here. Except me.

I would check your video drivers. And by that, I don't necessarily mean update to the latest. I did that a few months ago, and my system went from buttery-smooth to stuttering every second. I reverted the drivers, and it went back to buttery-smooth.

Also, make sure that hardware acceleration is enabled in Premiere Pro CC. Make sure that File/Project Settings/General/Reandering is set to "Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (CUDA)".

Mercury etc is always enabled.
Might check drivers - as you found, I updated at one point and the performance suffered so I went back a bit - might try the latest as that's moved on a fair bit now.

Here are my system's specs:

Intel Core i7-3930 PCU @ 3.2GHz
32 GB RAM
GTX580
Crucial 500 GB for OS and programs
Four 1T drives for storage/editing​

Two questions:
  1. Are you using your C-drive for anything other than OS and programs?
  2. What is the read/write speed of the hard drives in your RAID (assuming all your video files are there, as opposed to your C-drive)?

I have found on 3 powerful machines (i7-970, 24GB RAM, GTX470, SSD for one, i7-5960X, 2x GTX970, 32GB RAM, SSD for the 2nd and latest 15" rMBP with fastest CPU option for the 3rd) that Premiere Pro CC would not scrub smoothly with 4K H.264 files from the I1. It's the same on all 3 machines (and on the MBP it's the same whether running under Win or OSX, I have a Bootcamp partition) so I doubt it has much to do with the hardware but more with Premiere having a hard time handling the format correctly.
As a comparison, the same files scrub perfectly smoothly on the MBP in Final Cut Pro X.

I have no problems doing 4k on my laptop.
I have a HP zbook laptop with dreamcolor with both OSX10.9 on a 1x840pro and win8.1 on raid0 3x850 pro.
laptop has a quaddro k5100 8Gb and 32Gb ram.
I don't see much scrubbing on my 3mins clips so far. my win8 raid0 does about 1.6Gb/s read and 1.4Gb/s write.
but I do see my quaddro doing quite a lot of work.
my cpu is a i7-4940mx @ 4.5Ghz. I don't see more than 2 cores even during rendering.

For OSX, you need to use the DJI transcoding tool to convert into FCP and premiere.
for windows users, you don't need to convert, and just import into premiere pro cc.

only when you use the dji transcoding tool will it be smooth in OSX OS

I cant figure out why h264 is slow in OSX but fast in win8.1

that said, I believe the quaddro does help quite a lot.

at the rate of how I am shooting 4k, I might consider building a rig with k6000 quaddro card.

usually I archive my on qnap ts-871. but the laptop is only on 1gbps. so I usually copy my work to the laptop's desktop before I start working on my clips.

Last edited:
Have just upgraded my work computer and it will be exciting to see how it can handle 4K movies now.

i7 5960X
32GB Dominator Platinum 3000MHz
ASUS GTX 780
SSD's Samsung 830 Pro 512GB

For OSX, you need to use the DJI transcoding tool to convert into FCP and premiere.
Absolutely wrong, the H264 source files work perfectly on OSX, whether in Preview, QT, FCPX, iMovie or Premiere. No issues at all with current versions (at least on a decent machine).

I don't see much scrubbing
You must not be getting the point, that sentence makes no sense. "Scrubbing" refers to navigating quickly manually in the timeline, and the point is that Premiere is very laggy when doing that.

See below, I first play around with a file in preview and QT Player, then import and scrub in FCPX, then same in Premiere... the difference is very obvious. There can be 1-2sec until the preview in Premiere responds to moving the cursor and that's what the pain is. Playback is fine as shown at the end although it has the little delay Premiere has always had since I started using it.

Hi, Can anyone let me know the best settings to setup Premiere Pro sequences to work with 4k inspire files? I'm used to just using the DSLR presets. Am having some issues with rendering the 4k and lag when I watch. I took a 1080p 30fps HD preset that Premiere has in the main menu then changed the resolution to 3840 x 2160. Am getting pretty bad lag watching the files in real time even though the previews are set to 1/4. Most of my output will be 1080 anyways so maybe I should just shoot that way.

I have a 2011 Macbook Pro.
2.3 GHz i7 Quad Core.
16gb Ram
AMD Radeon HD 6750 1024mb graphics card
Running OSX 10.9.5

The videos are playing from an external HD, maybe loading them onto my internal SSD will help, or is my machine just too slow?

If you believe the 4k original footage will run slowly on you computer, try converting the codec in "brorsoft video converter". There you can convert to at least hundreds of codecs. One great example is Prores 422 HD. Still great quality and runs great for me in Premiere. A second tip is to turn down the display in playback to 1/2 or even 1/4 if really slow. Good luck man!

I've used PP for years. To date, I have not had any problems with DJI's (or Sony's) 4k files (and my computer is probably four or five years old). When working in video, hardware is always the critical element. Sounds like it's time someone did a major upgrade.

Last edited:
Handling 4K in Adobe Premiere Pro is extremely hardware intensive. Plus, MP4/MOV files from DJI Inspire 1 can’t be supported well by Adobe PP due to the codec issue. It would be a hurdle to work DJI Inspire 1 4K in Adobe Premiere.

The realizable workaround to load DJI Inspire 1 4K to Premiere Pro is to convert DJI Inspire 4K videos to MPEG-2 for Premiere Pro as primary delivery format. And 1080p is the optimal resolution for Premiere Pro editing.
These assertions don't match my experience, or that of many other posters here. Premiere Pro handles my DJI 4K files perfectly, and my Sony 4K files as well.

Can you be more specific about the problems you are experiencing? And can you tell us what hardware you are using to edit? Perhaps we can help figure out your problems.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarolinODo