Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Price Drop for the Inspire 1?

One thing to consider is the Inspire will do forward flight at 40 mph in GPS and almost 50mph in Atti. The P3 will only get up to 30-35mph forward speed with the new motors.(this is just what I have heard about the P3, nothing proven yet)

No idea ... I'm just guessing. I would expect that a camera with detachable M4:3 lenses would be a good possibility though.

Looking at what DJI have done (by effectively removing detachable cameras from their Phantom range and killing off the Vision+) they have moved the detachable camera option onto a higher price point (the Inspire). This is clever, in my opinion as it adds a distinction to the different ranges. Professional or enthusiast users are more likely to be interested in the flexibility that you can get from choosing different cameras (and maybe lenses) if that's something that does indeed happen.

Ask yourself this, why did DJI make the camera and gimbal modular on the Inspire1 - there can be only two reasons: replacing broken cameras, or future upgrades, surely? I think future upgrades is good business, if you consider that maybe 50% of Inspire owners might buy them, especially if it's priced at a similar price point to the new Black Magic mini at ~£999, which I think is quite feasible.

what about balance issues using detachable lenses? Inspire would be way out of balance requiring a bigger battery to fly with to offset that weight, this also changes flight characteristics, this could be possible but most likely not the case, they have to tread carefully with these upgrades....Sony being the current supplier for the gopro4 sensor and most likely the inspire one as well, which is actually a very nice sensor, the problem that we have is the shitty lens that they include, if DJI partnered up with a company like Zeiss or Canon or whatever company you like that makes great lenses to produce a micro sized lens solely for the use of the inspire camera, that would be the big upgrade in my eyes. We need to get passed using these cheap chinese lenses and get a real one made..

In the past I've said an m4/3 style camera could be on the horizon but lately I've been thinking otherwise as even that sensor as small as it is, could prove a challenge to build something for the inspire.

As for the blackmagic micro...thats not really competition for DJI's inspire. Raw and even prores are very large files and from what I gather most operators are doing their work on a laptop, which is gonna be a tad limited with space, plus the black magic has a huge crop factor (2.88) the only lens that makes sense to use with that camera currently is the 7-14 lumix (this puts your camera setup in the $2000 price range) Then you can dive into the world of using speedboosters...this adds weight and on and on and on and so fourth. DJI's goal is to make this process easy for people not difficult. It's why most people were lured to the Inspire for it's turn key setup.

Reactions: supasympa
I saw a couple of new I1's sell on eBay for $2,400 and $2,500. Now they're back to full price. Almost makes you wonder if DJI was testing the waters to see what they'd bring under auction. Sooner or later there will be a change. The key is, when?

And, DJI has now introduced the P3, competing on the low end. Will they use the I1, or a larger drone to compete on the higher end? The spread right now between the I1 and a larger platform is to great to go unchallenged.

It's interesting to read these old posts about price drop expectations of the Inspire. Price has pretty much stayed the same, but gone up for more advanced models with a better camera now with X5. Since April's release of the Phantom, although a completely difference machine, it competes well with Inspire for non commercial applications, doing about 85% of what the i1v2.0 does. It even does things the i1 cannot, such as fit in a backpack for hiking or biking to flight locations. Fitting the i1 can also be problematic to fit inside small private aircraft, as well as qualifying as carry-on with airlines, because it's a bigger machine. These are areas where the Phantom excel, while running the same Go app (practically) as the i1. However, the Inspire so much quieter to fly, and faster. For doing commercial work, the i1 is a workhorse, and is often being requested for commercial shoots and low end movies. It's a great value for an experienced pilot that knows how to shoot. I look forward to Inspire 2, hopefully with Lightbridge 2!

Last edited:
So Phantoms got a good price drop and will probably stay at these levels for a while. But shoulnt we see a decrease on the Inspire pretty soon? Maybe when they are about to release the X5R version?
I'm eager to buy the Inspire, it would be a good complement to my Phantom. But a decreased price tag is always welcome.

So Phantoms got a good price drop and will probably stay at these levels for a while. But shoulnt we see a decrease on the Inspire pretty soon? Maybe when they are about to release the X5R version?
I'm eager to buy the Inspire, it would be a good complement to my Phantom. But a decreased price tag is always welcome.
I'm planning to buy an Inspire also, but not until the 107 program is released this summer (or whenever) so I can get certified for commercial work. In addition, I'll wait for Inspire 2, which I presume will have Lightbridge 2. I want the improved video latency reduction, down in the 50ms range, so they claim. With an Inspire 2 release (if that's announced March1st) I would expect they'll lower the pricing of Inspire 1 to blow out the inventory, not only in the DJI warehouse, but all the dealers that have dozens sitting on the shelf.

I got the Inspire 1 on sale with extra battery for $2,249 and I'm loving it. Personally, I would find a good price on the Inspire 1 and get that. I am aware of the new T601 Inspire v2.0 improvements like improved transmission power and more torque in the motors, but I just don't see a need for it in my uses. I'm not comfortable flying so far away I can no longer see my flying multi-thousand dollar investment, and the original lightbridge works great for me and never loses signal. The new motors are mostly for more weight carrying capacity, and with the X5 camera costing $2200 alone, I will never see any advantage the new models offer.

I got the Inspire 1 on sale with extra battery for $2,249 and I'm loving it. Personally, I would find a good price on the Inspire 1 and get that. I am aware of the new T601 Inspire v2.0 improvements like improved transmission power and more torque in the motors, but I just don't see a need for it in my uses. I'm not comfortable flying so far away I can no longer see my flying multi-thousand dollar investment, and the original lightbridge works great for me and never loses signal. The new motors are mostly for more weight carrying capacity, and with the X5 camera costing $2200 alone, I will never see any advantage the new models offer.

I'm getting the PRO version. I already have flying X3 camera (P3P) and don't want to spend money on getting the same camera with improved flight abilities. X5 is another thing though. Better stills and improved control of the camera settings. Just waiting for a price drop.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop