Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Propless discharge with throttle

Reaction score
So I have like 12 batteries that haven't had a thorough discharge, I've got alot of other things to take care of so I can't spend hours flying and discharging. Would there be any repercussions to having the motors running propless with throttle added to it? I'm definitely not considering full throttle, but half or quarter throttle to help speed up the discharge. Any opinions or facts would be appreciated! Thanks

You can do this but it's reasonable to assume this will wear out your motors. Since everything mechanical will fail at some point, you're essentially accelerating this failure without getting any real use from the components. I used to just put the battery in and leave the inspire on (with a fan pointed at the battery compartment) until it shut off. This usually took a few hours which wasn't a big deal when I only had 3 batteries.

I have 8 batteries now so I bought a Phantom Angel to help manage them better. It's very quick and easy to use. I'm pretty sure there are some less expensive options out there that burn the battery with a halogen bulb, but the Phantom Angel is very well made.

Nice, that's a reasonable price considering the smartpowercharger is like 400 if I remember correctly. Thanks for the suggestion!

The bearings are definitely getting some wear, even at idle the thought is bothersome. One tb48 has been idling for about an hour and a half and barely 75% drained. I think I'll just wait til I actually fly and drain from there. I was hoping to spend the weekend discharging without flying and having everything calibrated for next week...

Sent from my iPhone using InspirePilots

Last edited:
You can do this but it's reasonable to assume this will wear out your motors. Since everything mechanical will fail at some point, you're essentially accelerating this failure without getting any real use from the components. I used to just put the battery in and leave the inspire on (with a fan pointed at the battery compartment) until it shut off. This usually took a few hours which wasn't a big deal when I only had 3 batteries.

I have 8 batteries now so I bought a Phantom Angel to help manage them better. It's very quick and easy to use. I'm pretty sure there are some less expensive options out there that burn the battery with a halogen bulb, but the Phantom Angel is very well made.

Good tip. Thanks!

So I have like 12 batteries that haven't had a thorough discharge, I've got alot of other things to take care of so I can't spend hours flying and discharging. Would there be any repercussions to having the motors running propless with throttle added to it? I'm definitely not considering full throttle, but half or quarter throttle to help speed up the discharge. Any opinions or facts would be appreciated! Thanks
I would not advise running your motors for any length of time without the props on.
Brushless motors do not like a zero load on them and you also will be putting hours and hours on your bearings.
If you move your aircraft while doing this the FC will interpret this as change of attitude and can go into integral wind up which means your motors will end up and full throttle with no input from you.

This is what I use.... Discharges to 50% for storage, or 5% for deep discharge. There are different versions available since I bought mine.
TMS Battery Discharger 3-6S 12V Light Bulb For DJI Phantom 2/3 Inspire 1 | eBay

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sadpoetryweb