Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Pulled the trigger on X5R

Im OK if the proxy writes have exactly the same issues as the X3 and X5 actually.

The RAW write workflow by passes all that crap. So there is almost no chance of it burning affected by what ails the X3 and X5.
I'm not particularly knowledgable of sensor design and engineering. I'm hoping that DJI can find a workaround for their current problems. Most of the issues are just amateurish level design issues which doesn't give me a lot of hope, But, if the mismatched components are the sensor amplifier or sensor reader mechanism (whatever that's called), then the Raw footage will also have an issue. I would assume that DJI will fix these components in the X5R before release, though. DJI can't have it's head buried that far into the sand not to be hearing the complaints coming through emails and on their forum.

Last edited:
I'm not particularly knowledgable of sensor design and engineering. I'm hoping that DJI can fine a workaround for their current problems. Most of the issues are just amateurish level design issues which doesn't give me a lot of hope, But, if the mismatched components are the sensor amplifier or sensor reader mechanism (whatever that's called), then the Raw footage will also have an issue. I would assume that DJI will fix these components in the X5R before release, though. DJI can't have it's head buried that far into the sand not to be hearing the complaints coming through emails and on their forum.

No you don't understand how this is being built.

The Amberella chip is what's used for the proxy writes and video downlink.

The X5R will BYPASS all encoding and compression algorithms, where most of the issues with the X3 and X5 live, and simply dump sensor data to disk.

Unless they fail to write the data, which would be a showstopper even by DJI standards, it's hard to imagine how this could be done incorrectly.

Like I said, I don't know the design issues. I'm just pretty sure that there are timing considerations with amplifying, reading, clearing, and writing the sensor data. The ISO flickering makes me think there may be a design issue at the base sensor level. I don't know. But I personally wouldn't buy an X5R until I see some tests.

Like I said, I don't know the design issues. I'm just pretty sure that there are timing considerations with amplifying, reading, clearing, and writing the sensor data. The ISO flickering makes me think there may be a design issue at the base sensor level. I don't know. But I personally wouldn't buy an X5R until I see some tests.

i hardly doubt they will risk a class action or a potential total recal wth an issue like your describing.

What I keep getting stuck on is the fact that manual color temperature on the X5 is all messed up and it hasn't been fixed. That is a basic level camera function and DJI's engineers screwed it up. High ISO flickering. Video drift. Sound Sync. All of these issues should never have made it past beta testing. I'm not trying to be inflammatory. I'm just trying to figure out what is going on. People have been bringing up these issues over DJI's forum for the past couple of months and DJI's reps have stopped responding. Technically, the X5 works so I am sure they will not have a recall. But, it isn't working the way people expected and DJI has yet to make the necessary changes which may mean that they can't do anything about it.

camera 034.JPG camera 033.JPG camera 032.JPG
No you don't understand how this is being built.

The Amberella chip is what's used for the proxy writes and video downlink.

The X5R will BYPASS all encoding and compression algorithms, where most of the issues with the X3 and X5 live, and simply dump sensor data to disk.

Unless they fail to write the data, which would be a showstopper even by DJI standards, it's hard to imagine how this could be done incorrectly.
No this is not entirely true..... The signal will be split.... one goes to the SSD and the other goes to micro SD. The problem I found lies in the high speed clocking between components at the sensor level. Mismatched timing will cause this flickering at higher ISO speeds as the gain is advanced and the sample data rate increases. This is why the 1080 60fps is destroyed with the latest update trying to fix the flickering ISO.

I just withdrew my x5r order through B&H after tearing this **** thing down to component level and seeing the issues at hand. We have enough information now to determine the fault points. DJI helped figure this out through the last update. If they fix this in the x5r I will be buying one.....

Last edited:
I can't imagine flickering being an issue in the X5R, though I was surprised to see it in the X5.
What I keep getting stuck on is the fact that manual color temperature on the X5 is all messed up and it hasn't been fixed. That is a basic level camera function and DJI's engineers screwed it up. High ISO flickering. Video drift. Sound Sync. All of these issues should never have made it past beta testing. I'm not trying to be inflammatory. I'm just trying to figure out what is going on. People have been bringing up these issues over DJI's forum for the past couple of months and DJI's reps have stopped responding. Technically, the X5 works so I am sure they will not have a recall. But, it isn't working the way people expected and DJI has yet to make the necessary changes which may mean that they can't do anything about it.

Wow, I knew the X5 had the flickering problem but I was unaware it had that many flaws.

The X5 did seem a little rushed to market, but I'm hoping since the X5R is taking this long to be released, that they are ironing out many of the problems.

View attachment 6968 View attachment 6969 View attachment 6970
No this is not entirely true..... The signal will be split.... one goes to the SSD and the other goes to micro SD. The problem I found lies in the high speed clocking between components at the sensor level. Mismatched timing will cause this flickering at higher ISO speeds as the gain is advanced and the sample data rate increases. This is why the 1080 60fps is destroyed with the latest update trying to fix the flickering ISO.

I just withdrew my x5r order through B&H after tearing this **** thing down to component level and seeing the issues at hand. We have enough information now to determine the fault points. DJI helped figure this out through the last update. If they fix this in the x5r I will be buying one.....

Doesn't matter. As long as 30 RAW files per second get written to SSD, it'll be fine.

Doesn't matter. As long as 30 RAW files per second get written to SSD, it'll be fine.
It will be fine if they dont tap into the feed to write to the sd and use the correct processor. They will need to write to the SD after recording, and they will need to use the one step higher processor with its dedicated video out channel. If they tap the feed again with the same clock speed you will see the same flicker. It creates a feedback loop that cannot be easily quieted.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jammartin