Welcome to InspirePilots.com

Join the leading DJI Inspire community for free!

Question About Post Editing Work Flow Using FCPX And DJI Transcoding Tool

Discussion in 'Photos and Videos' started by AerialPerceptions, Jun 28, 2016.

1. AerialPerceptions

Feb 23, 2016
    Bear with me here as I am in the beginning stages of learning to edit my footage. So I am shooting all my videos in D-Log as I understand this gives me the most flexibility when it comes to color grading. I have also downloaded some Lut plugins from Colorgradingcentral.com.

What I am not understanding is if it's necessary to use DJI's Transcoding Tool before I apply a particular LUTs to Log footages? What, if any benefit does this have? Can I just bypass using DJI's tool and just apply a particular lut to my footage?
  2. gruvpix

Aug 26, 2013
    Yes, bypass the transcoding tool. Although the prores files will come out about 5 times larger, they are not functionally adding any information that will improve the quality of the shot.
    AerialPerceptions likes this.
  3. Cactuswest

May 15, 2016
    If you have X5 camera, you don't need to transcode anything, you can bring the files directly into FCPX.
    If you have the X5R, the raw files will give you better grading flexibility but it comes at a price. The files are huge and you have to debayer (so is the process called to transform raw files into video clips) the raw files with the DJI tool. From there you can transcode into ProRes and into FCPX. Or you can transcode into DNG file sequences and import into DaVinci Resolve, After Effects before sending to FCPX.