Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Question::: Flying a drone in New Zealand

Reaction score
I am here in New Zealand for holiday, of course I bring my DJI P3 here and would want to shoot some nice video back, but I check there are few regulations applied to UAV and I am so confused where can I fly my drone.
I saw there is a map from airshare which clearly shows the control zones.
On the other hand Part 101 requires people to have permission by the land owner before flying a UAV, is that mean if I want to fly it in any national park, I need to go to DOC??? and I saw it is quite expensive to do it.
Also New Zealand has some really nice views by the highway when I drove from town to town, can I just stop I fly the drone?? or I need permission for that?
Now I am in Christchurch; I can see it is really hard to find a place to fly it, but I am planning to move to southern, just want to know the solutions of this, really dont want to miss out a chance to shoot some nice video.

Many Thanks
Jacky

Hi Jacky - from your comments I assume you have already checked the DOC site (thus the comment about the cost) Aircraft activities: Running your business or activity

It does note that for recreational UAV operation that you "may" have to pay a fee, but you need to check in which each office (suggest that you give them a call). If you want to fly by the rules, you'll need to work with DOC.

If you are heading down to Queenstown you definitely want to get some shots, so plan ahead with the approvals.

Sorry can't answer the question about the side of the road - assume that it will depend on if the land is privately owned, National park, or not. But the gotcha with roadside take off is separation from the cars.

Welcome to our beautiful country!

EDIT: Our State Highways are owned by NZTA and they prohibit flying over or near any State Highway. In Auckland, all roads are under the authority of Auckland Transport and they also prohibit any flying over roads.

It's a bit of a minefield at the moment and the CAA are looking to make examples of lawbreaking drone operators. Check out the "Sheltered Operations" clause in part 101. That might help some, but ultimately no matter where you fly, you are are flying over someone's property and need permission.

Kiwis in general are very friendly, especially the more south you go, so if possible, just ask if you can fly. Be friendly, show them your P3, and odds are they'll let you fly.

Goos luck and enjoy!!!

Last edited:
I flew there in December with my Canadian Inspire. It was very easy to go to the NZ Air Transport website, indicate what I was wanting to do, for how long, what time frame, as well as my experience. They sent back a certificate within a few hours saying I had permission.
I flew over the earthquake ravaged city of ChristChurch and got some great footage in 4K with my X3.

I flew there in December with my Canadian Inspire. It was very easy to go to the NZ Air Transport website, indicate what I was wanting to do, for how long, what time frame, as well as my experience. They sent back a certificate within a few hours saying I had permission.
I flew over the earthquake ravaged city of ChristChurch and got some great footage in 4K with my X3.
That's great news Airwolf! Just curious, did you use www.airshare.co.nz, or the CAA website? I'd love more info on this as we've had some difficulty getting permissions in Auckland. Thanks!

It was Airshare. Had to look it up to be sure.
Very easy to setup. I wish Transport Canada and the FAA would adopt a similar system.

It was Airshare. Had to look it up to be sure.
Very easy to setup. I wish Transport Canada and the FAA would adopt a similar system.
Thanks mate! We're signed up to Airshare and use it all the time, was just curious if there was some other resourse I had missed. Airshare is an invaluable resourse and we're lucky to have it.

Welcome to New Zealand!

Just use the Airshare website and you should be fine, there are two governing laws fro UAV activity in NZ. Part 101 and Part 102

Anyone using a drone will have to abide to Part 101.
under 101 Generally you cant fly within 4km of airport (airshare has a map of this), you cant fly over a crowd, you cant fly over someone's property without getting their permission.

I dont think you need to pay for flying in our national park if you adhere to Part 101 or Part 102, check with DOC and most of the time they will let you fly without having to pay for a fee.

You will need permission to fly over people's land, and you cant fly over roads.

However if you manage to obtain an exemption from CAA director by filling out the forms and go through the hoops.... please let us know!

Becareful in Queenstown area, the township and surrounding area is covered in no fly zone...

Hi all, I represent airshare. Great to see so many of you already using and recommending the site to visitors! We have just published a post that is designed to be helpful for people visiting NZ and wanting to use their drones here. There is a lot of info on the site, so we recommend you have a good browse around, but of course start by registering with us! Visiting New Zealand and want to fly your drone

Reactions: Oesau

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela