Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Question for video experts about quality and conversion

Reaction score
Is it possible to take a 4K video and later convert it to a high quality 1080p or will you lose quality over just taking it 1080p in the first place?

Ive heard conflicting reports about 30 vs 60 fps, now everything i know about it tells me 60fps is going to be better quality but ive seen a few people say that 30 is better. which is true? i see no way that 30 could be better unless the bump to 60 somehow lowers overal picture quality cause the camera cant keep up or something. More frames per second should be smoother and better overall it seems like to me? Thanks.

30/60 is a preference thing, you'll always have divergent opinions on that. Some like the smoothness, some find it artificial and hate it. Sometimes it depends on the subject too.

4K->1080 works fine, and IMO gives a better result as straight 1080 as you get to choose how the downscaling is done and can get it to your liking instead of having to stick with what you have.

I shoot 4K all the time with my F55 and scale it to 1080. It always looks better than native 1080. Have not scaled any of this h.264 super compressed video that the drones produce tho...

since 4k is only 30fps im guessing its not possible to get 1080p 60fps out of it, is that correct?

or is the 4k 24 fps the preferred mode? i know nothing about video, other than as far as watching tv the higher quality more fps is generally considered best, lol.

For aerial, you will want the max frame rate you can get. Since 30fps is the max for 4K, then that's it... You could telecine it to 60fps but it's not buying you anything really. Makes more sense to telecine the 30 to be 24.

Also, take into account if your rig can take the load of processing 4K, mine can`t so I go for 1080p 60 fps

well i have no 4k display but ive taken a couple 4k videos and they play perfectly smooth unlike the 1080p 60fps on my machine for some reason. the 1080p is laggy/choppy on my newer machines but play smooth on my old antique laptop with much worse system specs, lol, cant figure that crap out. the 1080p plays fine if i upload it to youtube and then play it from there though, very odd.

Overall 4k is better on the Inspire. The big issue with the camera is the compression. When shooting in 1080/60 the data rate is limited to 40mbits/s, whereas 4k/30 gives you 60mbits/sec. Neither is great, but 4k down-converted to 1080 will look better.

As most video is played back at 30 frames or less, the only reason to go for 1080/60 is the ability to slow down the footage. Playing back something recorded at 60 frames at 24 frames can look really great.

More frames being better is a matter of preference. You may recall the whole frame rate conversation when Peter Jackson shot The Hobbit in 48fps. Generally a lower frame rate will soften the edges slightly and give you a more cinematic feel as opposed to a higher frame rate which will look more like video.

Reactions: tbarnesarc
Just my two cents to add what others have already stated. If you want or need to overcrank (slowmo) in post then use 1080/60. If you don't care about slowmo then shoot in 4k/24or30. Either way I (personal preference) edit on a 1080/23.976 timeline which gives some latitude with any of those frame rates and because it is a lower frame rate will give you a more "cinematic" vibe in theory. I also transcode to cineform to make the files easier to work with in Premiere. Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Reactions: Moleyb
I see, just figured that more is better since the inspire is moving and if you are recording a moving object less frames might look choppy, maybe I'm wrong.thanks for info

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nickolas74