Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Question for X5R users (re: benefits of Inspire 2 X5S)

Reaction score
Hi there X5R users,

I'm considering upgrading our Inspire 1 Pro (X5) to an Inspire 2 (X5S) but I have a feeling the X5R will be a better idea... a couple of questions to help this decision:

- With the X5R do you need to purchase a license to convert the footage to Apple ProRes?
- How long does it take to dump an SSD worth of footage and convert to Apple ProRes?
- The dynamic range of the X5S is the same as the X5R... so will you upgrade to the Inspire 2? and if so, why? (ignore the improvements of the craft itself for the sake of argument).

Cheers!

If you use a Mac, then you can use DJI Cinelight to convert the raw footage to ProRes. You do not have to pay for Cinelight, or for a ProRes license; it uses the ProRes on your Mac.

If you use Windows, then you have to convert to ProRes yourself. DJI does not provide Cinelight for Windows, and in fact provides no way to convert the raw footage to ProRes on Windows.

You will discover that there are vanishingly few options for ProRes on Windows, mostly due to Apple's onerous licensing practices. So most Windows users would instead use the Avid DNxHR and DNxHD codecs, which are pretty much equivalent to ProRes.

Dronealps: I think there are a few things you could think about when making your decision. I'll try to list as many points as I can for you:

1. ProRes License. As InterMurph mentioned, no license fee to get to ProRes with Cinelight (the required way to get to your RAW footage) if you go with the X5R.

2. Resolution: X5R can shoot 4K - X5S can shoot up to 5.2K

3. Compatibility to other equipment. X5R works on Inspire and is also a great set up with M600 if you want a larger more stable copter at some point. Without a change in the future, X5R can not be used on Inspire 2. X5S can not be used on Inspire 1 or M600

4. SSDs cost less for the X5R than they do for the X5S.

5. Inspire 2 requires batteries in pairs - but will likely fly better and handle larger payloads in the future. Inspire 1 can fly FLIR and other existing cameras if thats ever important to you (hopefully I2 will be able to soon as well).

6. Financially I think you could get into either one for a similiar cost. X5R (without lens - assuming you have lenses from your X5) is $3200. Inspire 2 premium combos (includes all licenses) is $6000 but you could sell your Inspire Pro and only have to pay the difference. However, X5R does include an SSD and the Inspire 2 price does not.

7. Remote focus...either one can have a remote focus hooked up.

Hope some of these points help a little. We have or can get anything if you are interested. We should have the Inspire 2 very soon and can get you an X5R anytime you want one. www.FloridaDroneSupply.com

If you have any questions just ask - we are happy to help.

If you use a Mac, then you can use DJI Cinelight to convert the raw footage to ProRes. You do not have to pay for Cinelight, or for a ProRes license; it uses the ProRes on your Mac.

If you use Windows, then you have to convert to ProRes yourself. DJI does not provide Cinelight for Windows, and in fact provides no way to convert the raw footage to ProRes on Windows.

You will discover that there are vanishingly few options for ProRes on Windows, mostly due to Apple's onerous licensing practices. So most Windows users would instead use the Avid DNxHR and DNxHD codecs, which are pretty much equivalent to ProRes.
Thank you, that's very interesting and something I had not considered.

Dronealps: I think there are a few things you could think about when making your decision. I'll try to list as many points as I can for you:

1. ProRes License. As InterMurph mentioned, no license fee to get to ProRes with Cinelight (the required way to get to your RAW footage) if you go with the X5R.

2. Resolution: X5R can shoot 4K - X5S can shoot up to 5.2K

3. Compatibility to other equipment. X5R works on Inspire and is also a great set up with M600 if you want a larger more stable copter at some point. Without a change in the future, X5R can not be used on Inspire 2. X5S can not be used on Inspire 1 or M600

4. SSDs cost less for the X5R than they do for the X5S.

5. Inspire 2 requires batteries in pairs - but will likely fly better and handle larger payloads in the future. Inspire 1 can fly FLIR and other existing cameras if thats ever important to you (hopefully I2 will be able to soon as well).

6. Financially I think you could get into either one for a similiar cost. X5R (without lens - assuming you have lenses from your X5) is $3200. Inspire 2 premium combos (includes all licenses) is $6000 but you could sell your Inspire Pro and only have to pay the difference. However, X5R does include an SSD and the Inspire 2 price does not.

7. Remote focus...either one can have a remote focus hooked up.

Hope some of these points help a little. We have or can get anything if you are interested. We should have the Inspire 2 very soon and can get you an X5R anytime you want one. www.FloridaDroneSupply.com

If you have any questions just ask - we are happy to help.
Great info, thanks. Will ping you a message if we need to purchase - although we are based in EU so maybe an issue...?

- The dynamic range of the X5S is the same as the X5R... so will you upgrade to the Inspire 2? and if so, why? (ignore the improvements of the craft itself for the sake of argument).

Actually the X5S has a few points higher Dynamic range than the X5R. where the X5S really beats the X5R is in Data rate and
work flow. Proxy files are 100Mbps vs 60 for the X5R Cineraw is 1.7Gbps-2.4Gbps the X5S is 2.4Gbps-4.2Gbps Raw and 2.0Gbps for Pro Res

It's a staggeringly good camera

Actually the X5S has a few points higher Dynamic range than the X5R. where the X5S really beats the X5R is in Data rate and
work flow. Proxy files are 100Mbps vs 60 for the X5R Cineraw is 1.7Gbps-2.4Gbps the X5S is 2.4Gbps-4.2Gbps Raw and 2.0Gbps for Pro Res

It's a staggeringly good camera
True, good points. I was referring to DJI.com about the dynamic range: Zenmuse X5S – Micro Four Thirds Aerial Camera - DJI and it shows a graph that looks like both are identical.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alecia4669