Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Question re DJI's No Fly Zone override service

No exemption with the Faa, you must have a pilot license.
And you need permission from the ap manager.

333 waiver:

The UA may not operate within 5 nautical miles of an airport reference point (ARP) as

denoted in the current FAA Airport/Facility Directory (AFD) or for airports not

denoted with an ARP, the center of the airport symbol as denoted on the current

FAA-published aeronautical chart, unless a letter of agreement with that airport’s

management is obtained or otherwise permitted by a COA issued to the exemption

holder. The letter of agreement with the airport management must be made available

to the Administrator or any law enforcement official upon request.

Can't say enough how I agree with this statement. I do not agree with disabling NFZs personally. There is a reason they are there. We have plenty of other places to fly if flying for fun. Now when we need to breach a NFZ I also think it should come from no one else but the controllers of the air space. NOTAMs must be filed and it should only be allowed for the time they allow it. Then it is back to NFZ. It may be a logistical nightmare but safety first. Just one mans opinion.
Fully agree.

No exemption with the Faa, you must have a pilot license.
And you need permission from the ap manager.

333 waiver:

The UA may not operate within 5 nautical miles of an airport reference point (ARP) as

denoted in the current FAA Airport/Facility Directory (AFD) or for airports not

denoted with an ARP, the center of the airport symbol as denoted on the current

FAA-published aeronautical chart, unless a letter of agreement with that airport’s

management is obtained or otherwise permitted by a COA issued to the exemption

holder. The letter of agreement with the airport management must be made available

to the Administrator or any law enforcement official upon request.
So a copy of the letter would all there need to be. I don't think DJI would be getting tons of letters like these. Very workable. Send copy to DJI (and your ID, pilot certificate/registration is not needed, you wouldn't get the letter if you weren't a pro) and get unlock code for one day.

How many requests would DJI get at all?

From what I understand the DJI hardware imposed NFZ are a separate issue, I believe NFZ generally are a good thing with the decreasing ceiling with distance.

The way I was trained was that if in, or close to an ATZ or other controlled airspace, even though notification for under 7kg is not required in the ANO, that ATC should be advised. The likes of proximity to air traffic approaches and other risks would all be taken care as part of the pre flight planning and liaison. I think for the majority of flights, at least what I would be doing, in and around an ATZ a NOTAM would not be required.

I certainly don't think it should be DJI allowing NFZ lifting on a case by case temp basis. We already have the trained ability to preplan and liaise with ATC to carry out a job safely. What's the point of getting trained and obtaining PFAW if not allowed to exercise the procedures we've been trained to do?

In the UK it's a 'permission' and not a 'licence'.

Reactions: The Editor
So a copy of the letter would all there need to be. I don't think DJI would be getting tons of letters like these. Very workable. Send copy to DJI (and your ID, pilot certificate/registration is not needed, you wouldn't get the letter if you weren't a pro) and get unlock code for one day.

How many requests would DJI get at all?

So my point is, i agree NFZ are a good thing, however if you have a pilot license and 333 waiver you are not going to risk loosing your license to play around in an airport area. If you have a paying contomer you will contact the ap manager and get the required permision to fly there. Aside from the logistics of putting it in place.

Reactions: IrishSights
So is there now a process for those of us with an FAA 333 exemption to request unlock code to turn off the no-fly zone? A special number or website? Am I better of just trying to contact a CSR at DJI? Any insight to streamline the process would be appreciated.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melodee207