Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Question re: photo royalty/pricing

Reaction score
Sup guys, so I fly our Inspire for both company and personal stuff, I've analyzed to death the corporate side of things regarding pricing, time value etc. but this is a different situation.
I recently took a 48" wide print into a frame shop to get it framed for a gift. The owner of the shop really liked the photo and mentioned that people come into his shop all the time looking for nice scenic shots of the city. He then asked me what kind of 'royalty' cost I would ask if he were to make a copy of the print and put it up for sale. I really had no idea how to answer so I said I would get back to him.
He said they would take care of the printing (and framing obviously) for the buyer and basically just sell the framed image as a complete package in whatever size they wanted. So no cost to me and it's an image I have already taken and is just sitting around.
So the question is, what is fair for the digital file? $75? $100? more? I would love to hear from somebody with a similar experience or perhaps a pro photographer who has sold their work before.
The image in question is attached

Attachments

• 2-layer pano compressed.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 22
Assuming you have your 333 exception form, it would really be up to you. Price your prints low and possibly sell more of them or price them higher and maybe sell less but make more per sale,I would recommend feeling out the market and see how many people would be interested in the type of photos you offer.

Sup guys, so I fly our Inspire for both company and personal stuff, I've analyzed to death the corporate side of things regarding pricing, time value etc. but this is a different situation.
I recently took a 48" wide print into a frame shop to get it framed for a gift. The owner of the shop really liked the photo and mentioned that people come into his shop all the time looking for nice scenic shots of the city. He then asked me what kind of 'royalty' cost I would ask if he were to make a copy of the print and put it up for sale. I really had no idea how to answer so I said I would get back to him.
He said they would take care of the printing (and framing obviously) for the buyer and basically just sell the framed image as a complete package in whatever size they wanted. So no cost to me and it's an image I have already taken and is just sitting around.
So the question is, what is fair for the digital file? $75? $100? more? I would love to hear from somebody with a similar experience or perhaps a pro photographer who has sold their work before.
The image in question is attached
You could (if you wanted to) make them more exclusive and number each print so you limit the number of them. Say 100 or 200 print run. People love it if they think they are getting something exclusive. :p
With regards to how much to charge for royalty, I think you need to have a search around to see what framed 48" prints retail for. You can then pretty much work out what the materials will cost the shop (paper, ink, frame etc), factor in some labor and some profit for the shop then the rest is your commission. Sounds easy doesn't it?.......I wouldn't have a clue either though :p

Reactions: gruvpix
You could (if you wanted to) make them more exclusive and number each print so you limit the number of them. Say 100 or 200 print run. People love it if they think they are getting something exclusive. :p
With regards to how much to charge for royalty, I think you need to have a search around to see what framed 48" prints retail for. You can then pretty much work out what the materials will cost the shop (paper, ink, frame etc), factor in some labor and some profit for the shop then the rest is your commission. Sounds easy doesn't it?.......I wouldn't have a clue either though :p

Ha yea limited edish would be a nice touch!

Yea it's tough cause with framing and printing a 4 ft wide photo it comes to about $350 give or take depending on frame material (labour included). If I were to see that completed and framed print for sale I would probably pay $500 for it, so that leaves $150 left over for myself and the shop... At that point I'd say $100 would be fair, but they would be printing it at whatever size the customer wanted so if it were half the size then everything would be different.

Ha yea limited edish would be a nice touch!

Yea it's tough cause with framing and printing a 4 ft wide photo it comes to about $350 give or take depending on frame material (labour included). If I were to see that completed and framed print for sale I would probably pay $500 for it, so that leaves $150 left over for myself and the shop... At that point I'd say $100 would be fair, but they would be printing it at whatever size the customer wanted so if it were half the size then everything would be different.
I thought about that but I think you've just got to say an image is an image no matter what size it is so the royalty is the same. On smaller prints the shop make more on larger prints they make less but your royalty is a set figure.

Reactions: gruvpix
I thought about that but I think you've just got to say an image is an image no matter what size it is so the royalty is the same. On smaller prints the shop make more on larger prints they make less but your royalty is a set figure.
Good point.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cruzamikayla