Welcome to InspirePilots.com

Join the leading DJI Inspire community for free!

Question regarding adding GPS overlay to footage

Discussion in 'Inspire 1 Discussion' started by gruvpix, Jul 4, 2016.

1. gruvpix

Hey guys,

I've got a project come up that requires overlaying a small map onto our footage with a flight path and visual representation of where the drone is as it moves along that path. Basically I'll be cruising along a lakeshore at a constant speed and the client would like to be able to pause the video and see the exact co-ordinates of a specific point, as well as map out the actual flight path of the drone and be able to see where it is on the lake at any given point.
    I have done this before using a Phantom 2 and Flytrex, but I am wondering if there is a much more simple way to do this with the Inspire being that the technology has improved significantly over the Phantom 2?

2. Jay Baldwin

use flight converter and get kml file for use in Google Earth. It's an amazing tool to show exabctly what you're trying to do.

gruvpix likes this.
  3. Mappazzo

Hi guys, I have developed an online viewer to address this problem. We are currently in beta testing and should have a system available for general use in the coming month or so.
    if your interested check out my previous thread...
    Video map overlay solution

gruvpix likes this.
  4. gruvpix

This does the trick, and works really well - but the live telemetry is what I need so I can essentially step through frame by frame and the GPS co-ordinates will follow suit, if that makes sense.

5. gruvpix

Thank you for this post, and this looks like the software I would need although what I am doing is not web-based, I need to export a video file out of the program with the telemetry embedded. I have been fooling around with Dashware and I think this is what I will have to use for this project.

6. Jay Baldwin

Alright, here's the real way I do it:
    I capture the "playback" of the kml file in Google Earth as a video. I then embed that video in a "foreground" window using Premier with the captured video playing alongside. The amazingly simple part is the syncronization of the two playbacks, (they happened together!!!). Clients think I'm a genius and it is good enough to be used in a court of law. Yes, it's that good.

7. Mappazzo

In that case, I think Dashware may be your best solution.... I was using this before I developed the online viewer.
    If you get stuck with Dashware (I found it to be quite a mission to get things right) you could use my web viewer and use some screen capture software.... not ideal, but might be easier.