Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head/Lense

Reaction score
I don't take my I1 up while its raining, nor do I recommend it.
But ........... there have been a couple times now where it was just drizzling, a drop or two here and there, and I need to do a shoot. Of course one or two of those drops finds it way onto my lense /filter while I'm just hovering there, minding my own business, shooting 4k video.

I was thinking of making a shield, like a bill on a ball cap, (without getting in the fov), and thought I would come and ask what are you guys are using, before I get started.
(It would also be great if it would block the sun, it's so low in the sky right now).

I don't take my I1 up while its raining, nor do I recommend it.
But ........... there have been a couple times now where it was just drizzling, a drop or two here and there, and I need to do a shoot. Of course one or two of those drops finds it way onto my lense /filter while I'm just hovering there, minding my own business, shooting 4k video.

I was thinking of making a shield, like a bill on a ball cap, (without getting in the fov), and thought I would come and ask what are you guys are using, before I get started.
(It would also be great if it would block the sun, it's so low in the sky right now).
Not sure a baseball style peak/hood will help much since I have found that nearly all rain spots are caused by the forward flight and 'smashing into' the rain rather than it coming down from above.
To be honest - if its raining I just don't bother. I always tell the client beforehand that any flights are subject to weather conditions and wind speed etc and ANY rain is a no go.
I have found so far they fully understand and would rather postpone and get decent footage without the rain in any case.

Reactions: Kilrah
When I take pictures when it drizzles, I fly with the camera pointed downward until I got there, I want.
Then when I want to photograph, I aim the camera at the subject.

When I take pictures when it drizzles, I fly with the camera pointed downward until I got there, I want.
Then when I want to photograph, I aim the camera at the subject.

That's a great technique, I'll try that.

edit - somehow I just lost a big long, 20 minute to write post/with pics, and now its vanished and im out of time, **** it-

edit - somehow I just lost a big long, 20 minute to write post/with pics, and now its vanished and im out of time, **** it-

I got this in my mail... ;)

@Editor

@Editor

I'm not talking raining and/or flying into them either.
I'm talking about getting out of my truck, looking specifically at what I have, what angle they are falling at, (if any, Friday they were straight down in calm wind).

I position myself, back of the cam against the potential stray drop direction, if any.

I launch straight up and start filming after careful planning, (I understand ur point, that if its raining and you are flying forward, there is no way to stop "running into" the drops.

These are rare "drizzle" shoots, only happened 3 times in over 400 flts, (I decide against it if it's raining and sometimes miss out on a good shot.

These particular "shoots" that I am talking about are "emergency situations" where the subject will not wait for the weather to improve. To be specific, Friday evening there was a bad accident with one of the cars on its side. The firemen were about to go in through the windshield to get the driver out and I need to get that shot. I did, and only got 2 drops, both off center. If I were luckier, I would have gotten zero. Had I been unlucky, I could have gotten 4 with 2 in the center. What I did learn was that in "this specific instance", had I had a little paper/plastic visor taped on, I would have had zero drops for sure.

Just wondering if I am the only one with these screwy ideas? lol

Thanks DaBone!

Not sure a baseball style peak/hood will help much since I have found that nearly all rain spots are caused by the forward flight and 'smashing into' the rain rather than it coming down from above.
To be honest - if its raining I just don't bother. I always tell the client beforehand that any flights are subject to weather conditions and wind speed etc and ANY rain is a no go.
I have found so far they fully understand and would rather postpone and get decent footage without the rain in any case.

I'm talking about getting out of my truck, looking specifically at what I have, what angle they are falling at, (if any, Friday they were straight down in calm wind).

I position myself, back of the cam against the potential stray drop direction, if any.

I launch straight up and start filming after careful planning, (I understand ur point, that if its raining and you are flying forward, there is no way to stop "running into" the drops.

These are rare "drizzle" shoots, only happened 3 times in over 400 flts, (I decide against it if it's raining and sometimes miss out on a good shot.

These particular "shoots" that I am talking about are "emergency situations" where the subject will not wait for the weather to improve. To be specific, Friday evening there was a bad accident with one of the cars on its side. The firemen were about to go in through the windshield to get the driver out and I need to get that shot. I did, and only got 2 drops, both off center. If I were luckier, I would have gotten zero. Had I been unlucky, I could have gotten 4 with 2 in the center. What I did learn was that in "this specific instance", had I had a little paper/plastic visor taped on, I would have had zero drops for sure.

Also, no one is addressing the "ball cap" being used to block out the low sun while pointing/filming towards it ???

images

images

Thanks DaBone!

Also, no one is addressing the "ball cap" being used to block out the low sun while pointing/filming towards it ???

images

images
I think the knife fork and spoon will work perfectly to keep the rain off. :p

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
william_sewell