Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Rates?

Wow this got really blown out of proportion fast. Why did this need to turn into such a **** debate? I thought the op had an awesome question and I was excited to see where the convo went because these are questions I had also. How about if we talk about how everyone gets the clients?

I am not sure if my answer disappeared in there but I did mention a few rates I have given. I am also interested in some other peoples answers. I called a photographer friend of mine and he pretty much had no idea. I believe the word is "unprecedented." :D

This is kinda of an open ended question. What rate are you charging for what job? Mapping land?, an outdoor wedding?, real estate videos? Like anything else, there is risk vs. reward. It will be interesting to see what pilots are charging for different jobs in different parts of the country or world, especially as the FAA starts the green lights up.

Rates will depend on your past experience and training (relevant to photo/video), your other services, where you live, and what market you're going for.

I live in a lower cost of living city, but have a photo J degree. I focus on structures.

In my case, I have no problem getting 100 hourly from architectural and engineering firms, but I go cheap for residential real estate agents because they're on tighter budgets.

I charge ground and aerial at the same rates.

Does anyone else here produce music? That adds a whole new aspect to what you can charge for a "package"

I charge $150 per hour. But, that includes editing and custom music written and performed by myself. I am also very liberal with my time on-job and end up giving a lot more than I probably should.

Last edited:
I am curious about the FAA proposed rules. From what I read, the rules regarding small UAS are not in effect yet, but until they are pilots that want to operate commercially have to apply for an exemption with the FAA. Is that true or no? I have an inspire and would like to use it for business purposes but I don't want to incur any fines in the process.

Yes, if you want to fly commercialy, you have to apply for a 333 expemtion. Not sure how involed this process is, but I did print out the 195 page proposal...**** near used up a whole reem of paper. Typical government overkill.

There is little to no enforcement by the FAA. It's questionable if the FAA has authority to enforce a regulation that is yet to exist. The document they base their authority is an advisory circular that is, as it's titled 'advisory' only. There are hundreds, if not thousands of UAS operators enjoying commercial revenue from so called illegal operations.
UAS operations will languish in a quagmire for several years until the FAA catches up - If they ever do...

Reactions: Highrpm955
ya, as long as you do not do anything dangerous and get no complaints you are pretty much free to do what you want to do. Again, keeping your head down will keep you off the radar. As for the FAA regulations, I think the newest proposals are much more fair. Pretty much going to require a license type situation which will probably come from a written test. Then the obvious markings on the quads. Until then, fly safe and have fun.

200 bucks 1 hour for 2 operators and 2 batteries, tb47. Unedited i use 4gb sd card, price of the card not included. That's 56 hundo for the week. I took a 2 week vacation I'm probably not going back to my regular job. That's enuff to pay 2 American 25 hourly and I'm out finding other gigs 4, or 8 batteries should get you Thru an 8 hr day.

Reactions: Djeszelda
My trick is to charge for the "editing" or the "labor". I'm pretty sure this is how all the big aerial services do it as there are only a couple exemptions. You just charge what you would charge for aerials and call it "labor" or "editing" if the FAA asks. Be sure to tell your client this is what you are doing.

Yes, if you want to fly commercialy, you have to apply for a 333 expemtion. Not sure how involed this process is, but I did print out the 195 page proposal...**** near used up a whole reem of paper. Typical government overkill.

Is that a b25 Mitchell I spy?

Yes sir!... My dad is a flight engineer for that craft... I'm in route to Mesa to see him now... Maybe he will take me for a ride;)

An electric company told me someone quoted them a price of $1.50 - $1.75 per pole. They want a picture of the top of the pole. I told them go ahead and hire that guy because my time and bird are much more valuable to put my bird at that high of a risk to provide a quality image. Especially with the optics of the Inspire.

Reactions: Djeszelda
Im doing a shoot this weekend of an outdoor event.. all day. Im just providing the sd card of 2 1/2 hours of raw, unedited footage for $1100.00 The event promoter fronted me $100 just to come look at the site. I have an event scheduled with him every month till Sept.

Reactions: Soflms and DJeff1
That's a tough call, it depends if you've wrote a 333 exemption yet, or plan on it. Anyone on Android there's an app called flip board with a section directly related to drone news. Worth checking out, definitely relevant

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
THE FLYING LIZARD