Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Rates?

How is that dependent if you've wrote one or not. If I ask (blank) company can I do (insert aerial op)? they come back and say we would like that but we want a exempt pilot, does anyone try to explain that to clients. I only ask cause I'm hearing more and more about jobs being turned away because the pilot wasn't exempt.

There's not a whole lot you can say. It's a catch 22. Once you fill it out they often govern you to a specific uas and regulations based on the exemption you wrote. Some people will not file for fear of being too governed. For example a company that has become exempt may not be able to fly within 500' of anyone not covered by a "drone proof" barrier or directly involved in the shoot. Once you get it you absolutely have to tighten up everything you're doing to maintain faa standards. Trying to convince them you're just as capable as an exempt company may or may not work in your favor depending on the specifics of the job and how bound to the "rules" the company hiring is. However different rules and regulations may apply when it comes to selling/obtaining footage you're " accidentally" stumbling upon for the media as a hobbyist, and not someone out for the sake of selling obtained footage.

Last edited:
The risk is definitely a consideration - that's a good point. It's considerably higher than most video/photo jobs where you're not flying your main rig around with a remote control, and it's planted on Terra Firma. I've actually thought about needing to have a complete second Inspire 1 kit if I'm going to be offering a commercial service. Just the cost of calling yourself a professional - being ready to fly no matter what.

Very good point, whenever kit went down on location we would have to pull /hire in replacements. No honey No money

Not sure where folks are getting their info but even if you have a 333 exemption, you need to he a licensed pilot to fly the bird commercially. Private pilot, Sport pilot or Recreational pilots licenses qualify but just the exemption doesn't get it.

In Australia the normal rate is $550 an hour. Its different here though as we have to have a pilots license pass to be able to work commercially. I think $550 is fair. Most would charge the half day rate or full day depending. If an hour, it would be from site to leaving. If I have to take a few pics of a house or something I wouldn't charge less than $250. I always remember the family motto. We gotta eat.

I was just approached by a two guys that have been shooting footage kinda under the table the and want to use me as a pilot. Their have a good brand built and are getting into the drone side. I have a 333 pending and am a commercial pilot. So once that 333 goes through they'd essentially be sub contracting to me for use of the 333. I have an inspire with x3 and they would be using a combination of of just me as a pilot and my equipment as well.

This is a little bit of a different situation seeing as I'm a contractor essentially for now. They have the gigs and brand, I have (or will have) the legal part covered. I was planning on charging 50-75$ per hour as a pilot then 250$/ hour with equipment to start. If it's a good fit we'd negotiate and go up from there.

Any thoughts?

I was just approached by a two guys that have been shooting footage kinda under the table the and want to use me as a pilot. Their have a good brand built and are getting into the drone side. I have a 333 pending and am a commercial pilot. So once that 333 goes through they'd essentially be sub contracting to me for use of the 333. I have an inspire with x3 and they would be using a combination of of just me as a pilot and my equipment as well.

This is a little bit of a different situation seeing as I'm a contractor essentially for now. They have the gigs and brand, I have (or will have) the legal part covered. I was planning on charging 50-75$ per hour as a pilot then 250$/ hour with equipment to start. If it's a good fit we'd negotiate and go up from there.

Any thoughts?
I dont know if it helps but I have been approached by drone companies to do their work. They offer me 70% of the job value if I do the editing. Thats using my Inspire pro with X5 and I have my own insurance.
At $550 an hour that would mean they pay me $385 using my equipment. I think the rate you have here at $250 plus the $75 is a good start but you might want to up the hourly rate for the work in case they decide to cut costs and buy a drone themselves in which case it wouldn't pay.

Reactions: AeroVisionz
I dont know if it helps but I have been approached by drone companies to do their work. They offer me 70% of the job value if I do the editing. Thats using my Inspire pro with X5 and I have my own insurance.
At $550 an hour that would mean they pay me $385 using my equipment. I think the rate you have here at $250 plus the $75 is a good start but you might want to up the hourly rate for the work in case they decide to cut costs and buy a drone themselves in which case it wouldn't pay.

Hi DennisR,

I just got my RePL and am contracted to operate under IAS Pty's (Jandakot) ReOC. Would appreciate any tips, advice, recommendations, leads etc. PM if you prefer.

Cheers,
Carlos

Not only our time but the huge risk we take on. I have a fair amount of experience with a phantom (though I never actually owned one). Every so often, it would just crash. Something weird would happen and it would go down. If that type of thing happens with the inspire its not going to be cheap. That needs to factor into what we change.

Ive worked as an assistant camera on a couple reality TV shows so I'm basing my pricing according to what I've seen. Usually, I get about 200 bucks a day for my 5D kit rental (5DII, 70-200, 35, 50) to bring as a back up if the DP asks for it. MSRP of around 6k. The inspire set up properly for film (dual remote (even though not every job would require 2 ops), 5 or so batteries, couple chargers, iPad, pelican) is around 5K. I think you could very easily make a case for at least 300 bucks a day as a rental fee. I know DPs on some reality shows getting about 800 a day as their rate (not including kit). I was getting 250-500 a day. I would say that a drone op would fall somewhere between the two.
I heard it was not unreasonable rate in USA for photo surveying to charge either $75 flat fee or $25/hour.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pavitrakher1