Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

RAW DAS/NAS Storage

Also decided on a new machine (2013 Macbook Pro with 6TB external wasn't cutting it). Ordered one of these:

27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display, 4.0GHz i7, 32GB, 1TB Flash Storage, AMD Radeon R9 M395X w/4GB

Hope this is helpful to someone in the same boat :)

fyi, I've settled on this guy for now: G-Tech Studio XL (Thunderbolt 2 - 8-bay, 6 installed with 36TB, two empty bays) - can daisy chain in more units for more storage later. $4k.

Amazon.com: G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 36TB 8-Bay Thunderbolt 2 Storage Solution with 2 ev Series Bay Adapters, 6x 3.5" Enterprise Class Hard Drives, RAID 0, 1, 5, 6, 10: Computers & Accessories
Yup, Hardware Raid is def the way to go..with lots of room for expansion. You'll need it.

Of course Thunderbolt 3 is starting to roll out everywhere just to make us feel shi**y about Thunderbolt 2: What Photographers and Filmmakers Need to Know About Thunderbolt 3

fyi, I've settled on this guy for now: G-Tech Studio XL (Thunderbolt 2 - 8-bay, 6 installed with 36TB, two empty bays) - can daisy chain in more units for more storage later. $4k.

http://www.amazon.com/G-Technology-G-SPEED-Studio-XL-Thunderbolt/dp/B017P3CSFO

Great stuff!!
Be interested to know how you're going to configure that (which raid level) and what you're going to back it up to.

Personally, I just bought cheap 8TB seagates, created one big disk on a linux box and incrementally backup on a nightly basis.
It saved me though, I did inadvertently delete a directory on the main raid not so long ago, thankfully it had been backed up.

Reactions: damoncooper
{EDIT: THIS MACHINE HAS A CARD NOT DIRECTLY SUPPORTED BY ADOBE PREMIERE...CANCELLED MY ORDER AND ORDERED A MAC PRO WITH SUPPORTED GRAPHICS CARD)

I cancelled this iMac order: 1) 27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display, 4.0GHz i7, 32GB, 1TB Flash Storage, AMD Radeon R9 M395X w/4GB and ordered this Mac Pro specs with Adobe-tested & supported cards instead:

MacPro
3.5GHz 6-core with 12MB of L3 cache
32GB (4x8GB) of 1866MHz DDR3 ECC
1TB PCIe-based flash storage
Dual AMD FirePro D500 GPUs with 3GB of GDDR5 VRAM each

Premiere Pro System Requirements for Mac OS and Windows

2) G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 36TB 8-Bay Thunderbolt 2 Storage

{EDIT: THIS MACHINE HAS A CARD NOT DIRECTLY SUPPORTED BY ADOBE PREMIERE...CANCELLED MY ORDER AND ORDERED A MAC PRO WITH SUPPORTED GRAPHICS CARD)

I cancelled this iMac order: 1) 27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display, 4.0GHz i7, 32GB, 1TB Flash Storage, AMD Radeon R9 M395X w/4GB and ordered this Mac Pro specs with Adobe-tested & supported cards instead:

MacPro

Hah... I was gonna ask why you didn't just opt for the MacPro --- so much more upgradeable and serviceable (plus MUCH faster)... and there are some great choices out there for monitors. I had this one from Dell, and it was spectacular.

MacPro

Almost the same mac pro as I already bought, top machine!!!
Congratulations :D

MacPro

When I worked at iFixit, we did a teardown of the MacPro, and it scored an 8/10 which is extremely high for Apple. They really put some effort into making these things future-friendly.

Contrast that to the other machine you were looking at -- not so much future in that one ;)

Just arrived

08d171869df77300464f491daa82fb62.jpg

2e26bac1ca62fcfb20d3cc1508967d6b.jpg

Sorry, not my intention to show off here in this thread (showing off the Black Edition tho, maybe!), just documenting the journey to 4K RAW land.
no worries... if video was my goal I'd be doing that too. But still photos are my thing... needs are lower. More invested in cameras and optics than computers. And travel. Leaving for Japan and Vietnam in a couple weeks

MacPro

Wise choice on the mac pro. Those specs are the same as mine except I have the FirePro D700 graphics cards (highly recommend them, especially to remain future proof). I sport thunderbolt 2 external SSDs which are the fastest speeds I have ever seen from external drives. Let me know how fast your new system is.macpro_system.jpg

Between this beast (X5R), Epic Dragon 6K and now a BlackMagic camera shooting 4K raw, we're eating up space at alarming rates. 10G network and 196TB SAN works great. It's the nearline/offline storage that's a headache! (what to do with the media when you want to get if off the SAN).

This still only solved 1/2 the problem (well, 1/3 actually). Still need backups and eventually archival. So, we have a second SAN mirroring, making a daily backup of the ENTIRE san. Then comes offline/archival. Tried using LTO6 tape: terribly slow and painful. Been using Amazon S3 now with great, but costly results. We're experimenting with Seagate 8TB archival drives, with decent success so far.

Next step is upgrading 10G to InfiniBand 40G to move things around faster.

When going to 4K from HD, the step is big. When going to RAW, the step is HUGE. Worth it though, in my opinion. These files are magnificent!

Happy flying!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jj2018