Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Recording audio during flights

Reaction score
Website
www.retrovia.ie
So, my inspire is expected to arrive in the next week or two. I know it doesn't record audio, but sometimes it might be something I'd like to record anyway.
Has anyone come across a small(very small) audio recorder that does a decent job? Something that could be mounted on the inspire when required without adding a lot of weight.

If I were to install a mic on my I1, I'd hang it off the bottom of the I1 with at least a 5 meter string/wire and I'd also install a wind silencer on the mic so that you wouldn't hear the wind coming off the aircrafts props and the wind itself. You'd obviously fly it much slower then you usually would and you'd want to take off and hover at a safe and reachable altitude then hook your apparatus onto it. Then unhook it all prior to landing.

Not sure how safe this all would be but that's the best I can come up with in short notice :)

So, my inspire is expected to arrive in the next week or two. I know it doesn't record audio, but sometimes it might be something I'd like to record anyway.
Has anyone come across a small(very small) audio recorder that does a decent job? Something that could be mounted on the inspire when required without adding a lot of weight.

What sound(s) do you expect to record? Any recording device you get near the bird is going to record the sound of an angry swarm of bees.

Your best bet by far is to add sound in post to match the environment. Much easier and less of a hassle than trying to isolate sound(s) from the motors' noise.

I carry an RF-V16 GPS locater on my machine. Basically that device is a cell phone, that can be configured to auto answer. So I configured it to do that on a recent flight. When airborne, I called the Inspire 1. It answered, but no one was there. Lots of background noise though.

My opinion is all you will get is prop "buzz"... but I see where that could be useful to mix into video for effect...
I've gone to running the 'Shou' App on the iPad at the main controler...
It records the screen... and also records the audio heard at the controler...
Sync the two (or more) sources and mix in post to get a video with interesting audio...

You can see an example I mixed and more info on 'Shou' in this thread...
http://www.inspirepilots.com/threads/show-and-tell-video-posted-to-youtube.2361/

Last edited:
My opinion is all you will get is prop "buzz"... but I see where that could be useful to mix into video for effect...
I've gone to running the 'Shou' App on the iPad at the main controler...
It records the screen... and also records the audio heard at the controler...

Yes, mixing it in to video for effect is more or less what I want(without faking it with prerecorded audio). And I'd say I'll do it very rarily. But it would be nice to have a small recorder to stick onto the inspire when needed.
I've got the Shou app ready and tested on my iPad Air 2 :0)

Yes, mixing it in to video for effect is more or less what I want(without faking it with prerecorded audio). And I'd say I'll do it very rarily. But it would be nice to have a small recorder to stick onto the inspire when needed.
I've got the Shou app ready and tested on my iPad Air 2 :0)

You never said what sound(s) you want to record. That will determine the placement of the recording device.

Again, anything you "stick onto the Inspire" will record only props and wind noise. Is that what you want?

You never said what sound(s) you want to record. That will determine the placement of the recording device.

Again, anything you "stick onto the Inspire" will record only props and wind noise. Is that what you want?

Yes, props and wind noise would be want I'd want more or less in a few recordings. I'd tone it down of course in post, but I have a use for such sounds.

We occasionally do explosions offshore and use the Inspire to get video, I have been figuring out how to mount a GoPro for sound. After over thinking it (way to much)....I just put a GoPro self adhesive mount on the Airframe tag on the back, it give me this picture shot and interesting sound. Easy to change camera direction also. Did a test flight and it flew well. When I get in from offshore, plan on doing a test over my yard to test how much it effected my battery life, not doing that out here, lol.

PS: Due to the shape and regular GoPro mounts the lens does sit slightly to the right, no problem that....and expected

Attachments

• G0015584.JPG
    G0015584.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
  • DSC04571.JPG
    DSC04571.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 8
  • DSC04573.JPG
    DSC04573.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Members online