Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Remote video monitor

Reaction score
I was out shooting video of a wildland controlled burn yesterday (I am a fire dept. Captain. Yes, I had permission to be there filming. Yes, the incident commander was aware. Yes, everyone that participated was aware that I was shooting video. No, there was not a TFR in effect). The idea was to research how drone deployment on wildland fires could help incident commanders conduct firefighting operations. One thing that came up was having a video monitor in the command post. While on this operation, we tried using a HDMI cable to a field monitor. Problem is that when you plug the HDMI cable into the RC, it disables the video to the iPad. That being said, I found it easier to fly using the field monitor than the iPad anyway since the sunlight was so bright that I couldn't even see the iPad screen.
Sometimes the IC is mobile and sometimes it is stationary. What I am looking for is some way that we could use a receiver that would passively receive the Inspire's video feed directly (the signal is out there) and view it on a portable field monitor. Does anyone here know of such a setup? Something that won't break the bank since I am financing this project (for now, I hope) out of pocket.

Oh, and I learned something else rather quickly: don't fly in the smoke column. It's dirty and the thermal activity will throw your bird around. :-/

The easiest solution is to enable simultaneous HDMI video output in the DJI Go App. To do this go to the HD Video settings tab in the DJI GO app settings and the option to enable simultaneous HDMI video will be there.

If you have a late model iPad that supports dual band Wi-Fi, a more flexible solution that does not require you to drag a long HDMI cable in the field is to purchase an Apple TV. Connect the Apple TV to your remote monitor and use the Ipad's built-in Air-Play feature to simulcast your iPad's screen to the remote monitor across a peer to peer Wi-Fi network to the remote monitor. If the remote monitor in the IC is too far away from your Inspire TX/iPad that the Apple' TV's built-in Wi-Fi cannot connect to it simply buy a cheap Wireless N (5.8Ghz not 2.4Ghz since it will interfere with the Inspire TX) router or access point and place it accordingly and connect the iPad and Apple TV to it .There is no need for a Internet connection on this network since it is only used to connect the Ipad and Apple TV.

Problem is that when you plug the HDMI cable into the RC, it disables the video to the iPad.

Go into you dji app settings and set the output to BOTH, that's what I did today with my local Police department, (they loved the big monitor) -

The easiest solution is to enable simultaneous HDMI video output in the DJI Go App. To do this go to the HD Video settings tab in the DJI GO app settings and the option to enable simultaneous HDMI video will be there.

If you have a late model iPad that supports dual band Wi-Fi, a more flexible solution that does not require you to drag a long HDMI cable in the field is to purchase an Apple TV. Connect the Apple TV to your remote monitor and use the Ipad's built-in Air-Play feature to simulcast your iPad's screen to the remote monitor across a peer to peer Wi-Fi network to the remote monitor. If the remote monitor in the IC is too far away from your Inspire TX/iPad that the Apple' TV's built-in Wi-Fi cannot connect to it simply buy a cheap Wireless N (5.8Ghz not 2.4Ghz since it will interfere with the Inspire TX) router or access point and place it accordingly and connect the iPad and Apple TV to it .There is no need for a Internet connection on this network since it is only used to connect the Ipad and Apple TV.

I knew there was a simple solution! Thanks! I've been looking at HDMI transmitters that use a dongle style transmitter. They run from approximately $100 to thousands of dollars with ranges from 30 feet to 5km. Just need to decide how much money I want to throw at this.

Is there a way to connect a receiver to a monitor that will receive the video signal directly from the aircraft instead of going through the RC?

Chuck, many people have two remotes, one for the pilot and one for the camera operator. Couldn't you take a slave remote and plug it into your monotor?

Bob

Is there a way to connect a receiver to a monitor that will receive the video signal directly from the aircraft instead of going through the RC?

I guess in theory it is technically possible? However, the video signal is encrypted and it would be time-consuming and technically challenging to hack the video feed from an Inspire master TX to a slave unit for a third party device to access it. As sturgisphoto suggested if you already have two Inspire TX's connecting the slave Inspire TX to a remote monitor would be obvious, easy solution. If you don't have a second Inspire TX to use as a slave the two TX setup would be a costly solution to purchase a second remote just for a video feed compared to an Apple TV setup. You can get an Apple TV for around $75 and if you need to add a 5.8Ghz access point or router they are cheap starting around $25.

Works great!

You don't have to kill the chicken, just steam it alive.
Very innovative.
live YT streaming through the DJI GO app introduces a LOT of unnecessary complications into what otherwise is a simple task with Apple TV. First you need a tablet with hardware capable of encoding live streaming AND running that DJI GO app without hiccups. Then you need access active Broadband Internet connection at the TX AND the CO for each fire site with enough bandwidth to stream up and down live and a premium YT account that supports live streaming. Then there is the legal issues of streaming live fire fighting operations the FD would have to deal with as opposed to a simple closed network with the Apple TV solution. Even when all those worked out then the video stream is delayed and probably not suitable for the OP's use. YT streaming is extreme overkill. IOW,You don't need a backhoe to plant a small bush when a hand shovel will do just the job.:)

I was out shooting video of a wildland controlled burn yesterday (I am a fire dept. Captain. Yes, I had permission to be there filming. Yes, the incident commander was aware. Yes, everyone that participated was aware that I was shooting video. No, there was not a TFR in effect). The idea was to research how drone deployment on wildland fires could help incident commanders conduct firefighting operations. One thing that came up was having a video monitor in the command post. While on this operation, we tried using a HDMI cable to a field monitor. Problem is that when you plug the HDMI cable into the RC, it disables the video to the iPad. That being said, I found it easier to fly using the field monitor than the iPad anyway since the sunlight was so bright that I couldn't even see the iPad screen.
Sometimes the IC is mobile and sometimes it is stationary. What I am looking for is some way that we could use a receiver that would passively receive the Inspire's video feed directly (the signal is out there) and view it on a portable field monitor. Does anyone here know of such a setup? Something that won't break the bank since I am financing this project (for now, I hope) out of pocket.

Oh, and I learned something else rather quickly: don't fly in the smoke column. It's dirty and the thermal activity will throw your bird around. :-/

Where is the video!

live steaming any good to you?
During a wildland fire, an early launch of a UAV can give an Incident Commander (IC) valuable information as to where the fire is, which way it is heading, the terrain and fuel loading. With thermal imaging capabilities, it can see hotspots that can flare up around and ahead of a fire. With live streaming, the IC can direct which areas that they want to evaluate. Currently, when an IC arrives on scene, they have to send out scouts to find out where the fire is, its rate of spread, direction and fuel loads. This takes time and allows the fire to extend even farther. With a live feed, this evaluation can be done in minutes. In a post-fire analysis, programs such as DroneDeploy can aid in analyzing the fireground. I did a pre and post flyover with DroneDeploy of our burn and am getting the data together for a presentation to the Chiefs.
We are still discovering uses for this potential tool in the fire service. Is it going to revolutionize firefighting? Probably not but I believe that it will become a useful tool that the fire service can put in their toolbox.

Reactions: go fast
I'm a firefighter In Miami and I've seen the potential in this for a while , we have air rescue helicopters that do that now but there's a tremendous difference between the cost of using a real helicopter vs an Inspire , and once on the scene ( a grass fire for example ) the Inspire could be launched right away.

Got busy with other things. I have 3 hours of video to edit from the fire. It'll be my first time at editing so wish me luck!

Good Luck Chuck! I recently documented a controlled burn for our community. Here is the video I created. They basically wanted stills but I made this for them also. Use it for tips of what and what not to do!

Last edited:
Hi ..this is what we are doing in Sydney Australia .
Here is the link

Hi ..this is what we are doing in Sydney Australia .
Here is the link
This is what I want to accomplish. How did you solve the transmission/re-transmission of the video signal to the tablets in the ground units? Is there someone I can contact that's part of the program to get more info? Thanks.

This is what I want to accomplish. How did you solve the transmission/re-transmission of the video signal to the tablets in the ground units? Is there someone I can contact that's part of the program to get more info? Thanks.
i can try to find out for you as I'm in another department ..
As for the video signal to the tablets ..This is why they have two command centre's trucks..All info go's to one of those command centre's and then info gets relayed to fire units en-route ..
Also our NSW Police have these Inspire 1's
Here is the link : NSW police now officially using drones

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cruzamikayla