Welcome to InspirePilots.com

Join the leading DJI Inspire community for free!

UK 'Renting' My Videos

Discussion in 'Certified UAV Pilots' started by tweaker, Jun 30, 2016.

1. tweaker

Feb 1, 2015
    Got a client who wants to rent my videos I have shot and about to shoot

Seems fair to me. It means I potentially will have a long term client paying me monthly for a protracted period of time rather than a one hit deal.

Client will obviously use videos to promote his business. Effectively he is paying me to advertise my business.
    All footage is watermarked with my details and I retain copyright. It will be used on social media and at exhibitions.

The crux is I have never had this before and any ideas what I should be charging on a monthly basis if I go ahead with this business model? Anyone done something similar?

Thanks in advance
  2. Jonathan Ross

May 1, 2016
    I have been making my living from stock stills and footage sales for 25 years. My best advice would be to go to Stock Video, Stock Footage, Clips, Royalty Free Videos | Getty Images key word search your content and find similar, go to pricing establish a price and use it to set your own. I would discount from the Getty site but at least it gives you somewhere to start.

Best of luck,
  3. pixl45

Nov 18, 2015
    I'd try Dissolve.com -- they're a little more selective, and tend to pay a little better. "Renting" isn't really the term that's used... it's called "licensing". If your client is looking for a fixed (limited) term and a degree of exclusivity, that will fall under "Rights Managed".If they are looking for open-ended unlimited use with no exclusivity, that falls under "Royalty-Free".

Rights-Managed pays more, but is very hard to police. Not many clients go for rights-managed stock anymore.