Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Repair, but they sent replacement Inspire

Reaction score
What a nightmare! Sent my Inspire 1 in for repair. Drifted while 7 ft off ground causing a fracture in left rear carbon fiber tube. I was very concerned as to the cause of the drifting and crash to the ground. I let them know what happened and they said it would debug the drone and make a decision on what they were going to do with the repair. To my surprise, they said that they were going to send me a brand new drone. Well I received the new drone today and it did not have the quick release props, it had the screw-on type props. I have heard nothing but nightmares about this prop design, especially since they have to sell prop locks as these props tend to spin off the drone. Does anyone have any experience with this? I am going to send the Inspire back and get the correct one. I do not want to put adapters on the current motors that do not have the built-in quick release mechanism. I know this will just lead to more headaches. It is my belief that the screw on props will only cause issues down the road and there may be liability problems if I were to use this drone. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! - Buddy

What a nightmare! Sent my Inspire 1 in for repair. Drifted while 7 ft off ground causing a fracture in left rear carbon fiber tube. I was very concerned as to the cause of the drifting and crash to the ground. I let them know what happened and they said it would debug the drone and make a decision on what they were going to do with the repair. To my surprise, they said that they were going to send me a brand new drone. Well I received the new drone today and it did not have the quick release props, it had the screw-on type props. I have heard nothing but nightmares about this prop design, especially since they have to sell prop locks as these props tend to spin off the drone. Does anyone have any experience with this? I am going to send the Inspire back and get the correct one. I do not want to put adapters on the current motors that do not have the built-in quick release mechanism. I know this will just lead to more headaches. It is my belief that the screw on props will only cause issues down the road and there may be liability problems if I were to use this drone. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! - Buddy

Please have a search on the forum - this has been covered MANY times previously.
The general consensus is that threaded props are better since with the locks they offer redundancy.
Redundancy in anything aviation is only a good thing.

Is there really a difference between the old inspire 1 that has the quick release hubs attached later on and the inspire´s that comes with the quick release hubs already fitted? Hasn't the new inspire´s the QR hubs mounted on the motors the exact same way as on the old ones that has the QR hubs mounted later on?

And if there is a difference aren't the ones mounted later on just as safe or unsafe as the ones that has the QR hubs mounted from the factory?

With my other Inspire I sent in for repair, the QR mechanism was part of the motor enclosure. The adapter that I have seen fits onto the motor housing as an added part. This would not be integrated as in the QR motors. Too much of a chance with failure or coming off. Even if slight chance, I do not want the liability. I cannot believe with all the rotors spinning off that they would send me an older model.

Please have a search on the forum - this has been covered MANY times previously.
The general consensus is that threaded props are better since with the locks they offer redundancy.
Redundancy in anything aviation is only a good thing.
I understand your position. I have heard ridiculous stories of props spinning off without the locks. What about failure with the locking mechanisms. I know guys who carry extras because the snap when putting on and taking off.i sell plastic and this is an ideal situation for hysteresis type failure. If it were once on stay on I would have more faith. My QR props were easy, consistent, and reliable. I do not want the proven liability issues associated with Screw-up Props and locks.

Update- I just called dji. They are sending the QR Adapter plate and told me not to fly with the screw on props. Any input as to why?

Is there really a difference between the old inspire 1 that has the quick release hubs attached later on and the inspire´s that comes with the quick release hubs already fitted? Hasn't the new inspire´s the QR hubs mounted on the motors the exact same way as on the old ones that has the QR hubs mounted later on?

And if there is a difference aren't the ones mounted later on just as safe or unsafe as the ones that has the QR hubs mounted from the factory?
You are correct. The plates they are sending will be the same as what comes from the factory

I understand your position. I have heard ridiculous stories of props spinning off without the locks. What about failure with the locking mechanisms. I know guys who carry extras because the snap when putting on and taking off.i sell plastic and this is an ideal situation for hysteresis type failure. If it were once on stay on I would have more faith. My QR props were easy, consistent, and reliable. I do not want the proven liability issues associated with Screw-up Props and locks.

Your choice, your Inspire - I will take the original threaded props every time over anything with the word 'Quick' in the title.:)
Additionally, the QR props have a life (along with the hubs) - they should be replaced after around 200 flights or when necessary, and the only thing keeping your AC in the air is a small spring and a plastic cam.

Reactions: LockMD
With my other Inspire I sent in for repair, the QR mechanism was part of the motor enclosure. The adapter that I have seen fits onto the motor housing as an added part. This would not be integrated as in the QR motors. Too much of a chance with failure or coming off. Even if slight chance, I do not want the liability. I cannot believe with all the rotors spinning off that they would send me an older model.

Oh, i did not know that, i thought the new inspire´s has the QR hubs mounted the exact same way as on the older ones where you screw the QR hubs on to the motors. I didn't know the new inspire´s has integrated QR hubs.

But i agree that you should get a replacement inspire 1 that is at least as new model version as your old one, not necessarily because of the different QR hub mount, but just in general since its not nice to give a customer an older model version than he had before.

I wouldn't want a Phantom 2 as a replacement for my Phantom 3 for example. Maybe not the exact same thing but anyway.

Your choice, your Inspire - I will take the original threaded props every time over anything with the word 'Quick' in the title.:)
Additionally, the QR props have a life (along with the hubs) - they should be replaced after around 200 flights or when necessary, and the only thing keeping your AC in the air is a small spring and a plastic cam.
For peace of mind, the Editor is correct. I have 3 Inspires, 2 came with QR props and the latest landing gear. I inspect the plastic tabs before every flight and on 2 occasions have found a broken tab, and once a plastic tab was broken in half, apparently from overtightening the 2 screws. On my oldest Inspire I still use the screw on props and locks, and enjoy the redundancy that comes with this setup. And, my oldest Inspire is still my favorite to fly.

Reactions: The Editor

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurskmvah