Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Replacement Props time !

Reaction score
Had my Inspire since Feb and I'm just going through the process of replacing the props. The props are the original self tightening with the supplied plastic lock.

I've just been sent free of charge by the dealer a set of DJI quick release props. Having just taken them out of the packet my first reaction was that they don't look tough enough to cope with the forces imposed on the props during flight.....a thin bit of plastic preventing catastrophic failure....really ? So I think I won't bother and stick with the tried and tested self tightening props.

Then comes the question of replacing the self tightening props with carbon fibre. Couple of days ago I clipped a small branch which removed about 1/4 inch from the end of one of the props and took a few small chunks from one other, but the bird kept flying and a successful emergency landing was made. I'm just wondering now whether the props would have completely shattered had they been carbon fibre ?

If you're still getting a handle on the aircraft, new to flying, fly mostly in tight spaces, don't get CF props.

Having said that....they offer some well documented advantages.

a) CF props are quieter.

A quieter aircraft is helpful in keeping a low profile on commercial shoots and in urban environments or anywhere keeping UAV noise to a minimum is desirable.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442323480.106849.jpg

b) CF props provide more immediate and precise flight response.

More immediate responses to both Pilot and Flight Computer / ESC inputs can help maintain safe, stable flight in situations that need it, such as where flight space is restricted or in wind or environments prone to wind gusts.

Unlike some other aircraft, the DJI Inspire and Matric ESC modules (Electronic motor Speed Controllers) feature two-way duplex communication with the motors. These ESC’s are perfectly suited for CF props as a result, as motor performance and state is relayed back to the ESC modules and Flight Computer. The Inspire and Matrice Flight Computers are able adapt and adjust to the more efficient CF props automatically using this duplex communication mechanism.

c) A more stable aerial photography platform.

With the 14X4.8 CF props especially, users can expect a more stable Aerial Photography (AP) platform, especially in windier conditions.

d) CF props are more efficient.

Because of their increased efficiency, CF props can boost aircraft speed up to 10-20mph (in ATTI mode) and/or increase flight times.

If you're still getting a handle on the aircraft, new to flying, fly mostly in tight spaces, don't get CF props.

Having said that....they offer some well documented advantages.

a) CF props are quieter.

A quieter aircraft is helpful in keeping a low profile on commercial shoots and in urban environments or anywhere keeping UAV noise to a minimum is desirable.

View attachment 3684

b) CF props provide more immediate and precise flight response.

More immediate responses to both Pilot and Flight Computer / ESC inputs can help maintain safe, stable flight in situations that need it, such as where flight space is restricted or in wind or environments prone to wind gusts.

Unlike some other aircraft, the DJI Inspire and Matric ESC modules (Electronic motor Speed Controllers) feature two-way duplex communication with the motors. These ESC’s are perfectly suited for CF props as a result, as motor performance and state is relayed back to the ESC modules and Flight Computer. The Inspire and Matrice Flight Computers are able adapt and adjust to the more efficient CF props automatically using this duplex communication mechanism.

c) A more stable aerial photography platform.

With the 14X4.8 CF props especially, users can expect a more stable Aerial Photography (AP) platform, especially in windier conditions.

d) CF props are more efficient.

Because of their increased efficiency, CF props can boost aircraft speed up to 10-20mph (in ATTI mode) and/or increase flight times.
in my experience the CF actually slowed mine down by 10mph. the ones i have are maybe 1/4 inch or so shorter than the stock DJI plastic ones. they are indeed a little quieter though.

Hi damon, can you please provide a link where you bought those? They look neat, and how much does they cost?

EDIT: ohh, are they QR??

Last edited:
Is everybody happy with the DJI supplied QR props or am I being too over cautious with how flimsy they look ?
I still use the original self tightening ones, they sent me the quick release ones but to be honest i never even opened the box. I leave my inspire with props on ready to fly all the time so ive had no reason to switch to the QR props.

Hi damon, can you please provide a link where you bought those? They look neat, and how much does they cost?

EDIT: ohh, are they QR??

I got the T-Motor props on Amazon. The adapters and details on them are here:

Dropbox - inspire precision cf hub faq v4.pdf

Lynh Phan also sells the adapters and 14x4.8 CF props as a kit which is $100 cheaper than buying the adapters and T-Motor props separately.

I got the T-Motor props on Amazon. The adapters and details on them are here:

Dropbox - inspire precision cf hub faq v4.pdf

Lynh Phan also sells the adapters and 14x4.8 CF props as a kit which is $100 cheaper than buying the adapters and T-Motor props separately.

Hi Damon - the solution you use, I guess those CF's are not in QR construction, so you have to unscrew the prop's after flying time, or I guess again you use a large enough case so you can hold the props on the bird. Tnx!

Hi Damon - the solution you use, I guess those CF's are not in QR construction, so you have to unscrew the prop's after flying time, or I guess again you use a large enough case so you can hold the props on the bird. Tnx!

No, you just spin on and hand tighten. The adapters bolt on to the props.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444298745.504195.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444298793.246760.jpg

Do you find them very noticeably quieter?

Not at ground level.

In flight they are noticeably quieter however. I posted a chart a few posts back from a set of personal tests I did in an open field with CF 14-inch vs DJI auto-tightening original plastic props and locks.

Not at ground level.

In flight they are noticeably quieter however. I posted a chart a few posts back from a set of personal tests I did in an open field with CF 14-inch vs DJI auto-tightening original plastic props and locks.

So you did - sorry.... too many posts to read, not enough hours in the day!

Reactions: damoncooper
Not at ground level.

Sorry to bring up such an old thread... but where did you get those little yellow adhesive dots from?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catalyst