Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

REVIEW: Zeiss Cinemizer Goggles

Letting a pretty face turn your head? Shame on you! [emoji14]
I've wanted the Avagants from day dot. Just never preordered because they're a tad pricey and there's no good videos to show how well they'll work with the Inspire 1.
But! Once I'm convinced, I'll pull the trigger without a second thought! [emoji75]

Last edited:
I've had my Zeiss Cinemizers for a couple weeks now. Overall, pretty happy with them. I haven't seen any other reviews as it specifically relates to the Inspire 1, so I figured I'd take a crack at it.

I bought a set and kind of felt it was designed by a committee. They do work fine, and I will probably keep them. But the packaging and accessories were not well thought out. For example most Inspire pilots will want the Eye Shield accessory, it helps a LOT. But if the shield is installed, the included extra nose "boosters" do not fit. You have to cut away the rubber coating from the shield to get the little clips that change the angle/height of the nose pad, to even begin to stay attached. Lots of little parts, easy to lose in the grass at your feet. The case they come with, barely fits, and does not hold everything you need to operate them. Great concept, and as I said above, they do work. But Zeiss stopped thinking before they packaged them up.

Remember these things were never designed for that purpose, but rather to watch a DVD comfortably installed either in your sofa, on the plane/train etc...

Envoyé de mon SM-G920F en utilisant Tapatalk

Remember these things were never designed for that purpose, but rather to watch a DVD comfortably installed either in your sofa, on the plane/train etc...
Envoyé de mon SM-G920F en utilisant Tapatalk

Yes, I know. In fact that was a minor side event reason to justify the cost to me. "Honey, I can even use them with my iPad!" But you still need extra cables to do that, in fact there is not even room to carry the USB charging cable. Just a kind of dumb set up.

I bought some Zeiss Cinemisers for my P2V Plus and ended sending them back. I just didn't think the quality of the video was what I was expecting. I got a much better quality feedback just using my iPhone 6 + and a decent sunshade.

Reactions: Ward Paterson
I bought some Zeiss Cinemisers for my P2V Plus and ended sending them back. I just didn't think the quality of the video was what I was expecting. I got a much better quality feedback just using my iPhone 6 + and a decent sunshade.

The Zeiss only being 480p is just ****. downscaling the native resolution is terrible.. Avagants look good, but no sun shade to prevent glare. Wasting your money

Reactions: sirnikolas
I plan on ordering the cinemizers but I was wondering about the latency while flying? Is it bad? Thanks

I bought the Cinemizers with my Inspire, but having tried using them once, I don't ever use them any more. The three main problems I have with them are: 1) I can't see the tablet to use the touch screen, 2) I can't see the aircraft in real space, and 3) the resolution is poor, IMO. Having come very close to descending into a tree and sideways into a cliff in FPV mode, I'm consistently glancing between the on-screen camera image and the physical position of the aircraft relative to obstacles.

I can work around (1) slightly if I don't wear the sunshade with the Cinemizers such that I can glance down beneath them to see the tablet. When combined with (3), (2) is unworkable, although I tried a head-mounted camera with an HDMI A/B switch to feed into the Cinemizers. Even though the headmount camera was HD, the resolution on the Cinemizers was insufficient to spot the craft when relatively far away. (3) is disappointing considering the cost of the Cinemizers. If I really, really wanted head-mounted FPV flying, I'd look into the HeadPlay (hopefully with even higher resolution than now) and perfect the auxiliary camera for spotting the aircraft in real space.

Just my opinion, of course.

mTp

I bought the Cinemizers with my Inspire, but having tried using them once, I don't ever use them any more. The three main problems I have with them are: 1) I can't see the tablet to use the touch screen, 2) I can't see the aircraft in real space, and 3) the resolution is poor, IMO. Having come very close to descending into a tree and sideways into a cliff in FPV mode, I'm consistently glancing between the on-screen camera image and the physical position of the aircraft relative to obstacles.

I can work around (1) slightly if I don't wear the sunshade with the Cinemizers such that I can glance down beneath them to see the tablet. When combined with (3), (2) is unworkable, although I tried a head-mounted camera with an HDMI A/B switch to feed into the Cinemizers. Even though the headmount camera was HD, the resolution on the Cinemizers was insufficient to spot the craft when relatively far away. (3) is disappointing considering the cost of the Cinemizers. If I really, really wanted head-mounted FPV flying, I'd look into the HeadPlay (hopefully with even higher resolution than now) and perfect the auxiliary camera for spotting the aircraft in real space.

Just my opinion, of course.

mTp
resolution is limited to 720P. Doesn't matter how high a pair of glasses can go. It's the HDMI board that's the limiting factor. If you didn't like the quality of the cinemizers, you are hard pressed to find anything better. Because those are OLED. Larger maybe. The headplay would be significantly larger.

The thing I like about the Cinemizers (I use when flying other copters too), is that you can wear them without the rubber sunshields and with corrective eyeglasses (and still see all four corners of the screen) -- and when you do wear them lower down on your nose because of the corrective glasses, there is a slot below them so you can look down at the iPad, and a slot above them where you can have line of sight to the copter for landing, take-off, or general situation awareness. You can focus the Cinemizers at infinity so you can switch between real world distant vision (top slot) and Cinemizers without even needing to refocus your eyes. You must wear a wide brimmed hat though, otherwise there's too much ambient light that leaks in.

So all in all, they're far less isolating that the other kinds of goggles, and, as I say, you can wear'em with corrective glasses.

The thing I don't like about the Cinemizers is that the refocusing wheels turn far too easily, so you're forever knocking them out of focus when you take them off or put them on. I'm thinking I'll put some PVC tape across the focusing wheels to stop that happening.

Andy.

The thing I like about the Cinemizers (I use when flying other copters too), is that you can wear them without the rubber sunshields and with corrective eyeglasses (and still see all four corners of the screen) -- and when you do wear them lower down on your nose because of the corrective glasses, there is a slot below them so you can look down at the iPad, and a slot above them where you can have line of sight to the copter for landing, take-off, or general situation awareness. You can focus the Cinemizers at infinity so you can switch between real world distant vision (top slot) and Cinemizers without even needing to refocus your eyes. You must wear a wide brimmed hat though, otherwise there's too much ambient light that leaks in.

So all in all, they're far less isolating that the other kinds of goggles, and, as I say, you can wear'em with corrective glasses.

The thing I don't like about the Cinemizers is that the refocusing wheels turn far too easily, so you're forever knocking them out of focus when you take them off or put them on. I'm thinking I'll put some PVC tape across the focusing wheels to stop that happening.

Andy.

Maybe I'll try them again with this type of setup. I always wear a wide-brimmed hat anyway, and my corrective lenses are big enough I should be able to see above and below as you recommend. Thanks for the suggestion. I'd still prefer they were higher resolution than the 500 lines.

mTp

Thanks for your opinion. I appreciate your time and points. I think I will hold off on the cinemizers and get some headplays.

Reactions: sirnikolas

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cruzamikayla