Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Rockport, MA with the X5R

Nice! Looks like one of those gulls took and interest in your bird. Many, with as many gulls around I'd be worried about them.

While flying in the Valley of the Gods I had a bird fly very close by -- you can see it in the video I posted.

Maybe it's my monitor, but I detected a bit of yellow/green cast in the video, perhaps it was the lighting or my monitor.

Brian

Nice! Looks like one of those gulls took and interest in your bird. Many, with as many gulls around I'd be worried about them.

While flying in the Valley of the Gods I had a bird fly very close by -- you can see it in the video I posted.

Maybe it's my monitor, but I detected a bit of yellow/green cast in the video, perhaps it was the lighting or my monitor.

Brian

Yeah, my attempt at artistic coloring using LUTs in a few clips in the second half :). Didn't work out exactly as I'd hoped but with 12 hour render cycles on my 2013 MBP I stick a fork in it and posted it.

New 6-core MacPro should be here this week and should make for a much more fluid editing and rendering experience.

Reactions: SteadiMikeG
Very nice Damon, What was the distance of control? Did you used the DBS?

It was out there a bit, so the latency provided a bit of a challenge. It was hard not to chase the image on screen, and keep the sticks steady with small movements.

Could have used Autopilot I guess but where's the fun in that :).

Yeah I used an Itelite panel but this distance has never been a problem for me without it.

c09eb8e1c0445d414f6b090407b2571b.jpg

Yeah, my attempt at artistic coloring using LUTs in a few clips in the second half :). Didn't work out exactly as I'd hoped but with 12 hour render cycles on my 2013 MBP I stick a fork in it and posted it.

New 6-core MacPro should be here this week and should make for a much more fluid editing and rendering experience.

Yeah, I built a new PC for editing in January -- 6-core i7-5820K CPU with an EVGA Geforce GTX 980TI hybrid GPU. I have overclocked a bit but not pushing it -- max clock on CPU at 4.3GHz.

Dealing with 4K takes some serious power and I can only imagine how your X5R files must make things choke.

A typical 4K video I shoot will take 2 minutes to render for every minute of footage in the final edit.

Brian

Reactions: damoncooper
I think I'm done tweaking this now :) Color graded in Resolve and updated the video again.

Damon, I like this latest version much more -- the green/yellow cast is gone and looks more natural now.

One thing I'd like to know about the X5R versus the X5 is how it handles low key detail. The biggest problem I have is that I get a pulsing/flickering effect several times a second which isn't that noticeable with brighter detail but is really noticeable with darker detail. I shoot flat and then need to open it up in post and as I do that the detail that's moved down becomes even more noticeably pulsing. I think E has made the point that DJI is pathetic with software as far as cameras are concerned and perhaps nowhere are they as bad as they are when handling the compression.

But, the RAW files you get aren't compressed -- or are they? My suspicion is that you should have little to none of the pulsing/flickering effect I've noted with the X5. I know you have or had an earlier version I1 but I'm guessing that was the X3 and not the X5 -- is that right?

Brian

Damon, I like this latest version much more -- the green/yellow cast is gone and looks more natural now.

One thing I'd like to know about the X5R versus the X5 is how it handles low key detail. The biggest problem I have is that I get a pulsing/flickering effect several times a second which isn't that noticeable with brighter detail but is really noticeable with darker detail. I shoot flat and then need to open it up in post and as I do that the detail that's moved down becomes even more noticeably pulsing. I think E has made the point that DJI is pathetic with software as far as cameras are concerned and perhaps nowhere are they as bad as they are when handling the compression.

But, the RAW files you get aren't compressed -- or are they? My suspicion is that you should have little to none of the pulsing/flickering effect I've noted with the X5. I know you have or had an earlier version I1 but I'm guessing that was the X3 and not the X5 -- is that right?

Brian

The RAW files are compressed with lossless compression, but it's just zip compression, essentially. I have scrutinized the RAW 4K footage in detail on my wall-sized 4K Sony TV where artifacts can't hide (and RED cameras shiver with fear as I get inches away with a scowl on my face and determination to find problems) and there is no camera-induced artifacts that I can find. The X3 and X5 footage crumbles and cries for it's mother however.

The RAW files are compressed with lossless compression, but it's just zip compression, essentially.

Yeah, after posting the question I noted the similar question in the X5R sub and although there are comments about flickering it appears that's due to artificial lighting interfering with the shutter speed and NOT the same issue I've noted with the X5 in broad daylight with no artificial lightning around.

So if the video files from the X5R are lossless compressed using something like zip I would guess that DJI is using someone else's code to do that.

Brian

Yeah, after posting the question I noted the similar question in the X5R sub and although there are comments about flickering it appears that's due to artificial lighting interfering with the shutter speed and NOT the same issue I've noted with the X5 in broad daylight with no artificial lightning around.

So if the video files from the X5R are lossless compressed using something like zip I would guess that DJI is using someone else's code to do that.

Brian

The DNG and CinemaDNG formats are free and open source. Open source C code libraries abound for doing zip compression, so it's not rocket science I don't think.

The X5R's RAW data flow simplicity and limited DJI code involvement I think are frankly key to its excellent results.

The DNG and CinemaDNG formats are free and open source. Open source C code libraries abound for doing zip compression, so it's not rocket science I don't think.

The X5R's RAW data flow simplicity and limited DJI code involvement I think are frankly key to its excellent results.

That's good to hear, if only the X5 were so lucky...

But, looking at the data handling and storage requirements is ... frightening. With the X5 and it woefully limited bandwidth the storage requirements are typically less than 30GB/hour -- care to ballpark the hourly data rate from the X5R?

Brian

That's good to hear, if only the X5 were so lucky...

But, looking at the data handling and storage requirements is ... frightening. With the X5 and it woefully limited bandwidth the storage requirements are typically less than 30GB/hour -- care to ballpark the hourly data rate from the X5R?

Brian

500GB for 35-40 min

Hi Damon , beautiful work , i have a question , did you ever project the footage of the X5R on a big screen ? will it hold you think ? and will it match with Arri Alexa ?

Hi Damon , beautiful work , i have a question , did you ever project the footage of the X5R on a big screen ? will it hold you think ? and will it match with Arri Alexa ?

Rock solid on my wall-sized 4K display. X3 and X5 footage completely fall apart on it (unwatchable), but the RAW is solid. I know guys are mixing it with Alexa and Red without much problem, yeah

Hi Damon , thank you for your prompt reply , must be nice to have a wall sized 4K display ! will certainly run some tests for projection..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jenuk