Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

RTF Ready to Fly DIY Inspire Case for Under $80!

Lots of info if you go to the Home Depot link in original post. But here is a screenshot of the specs page...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 26
Reactions: SGsoar
Finally got around to doing some work on the case. Here are some updated photos. Set up for 2 remotes, 6 batteries, and the gimbal in its original box. I was personally a little scared to leave it on all the time. I got a little lazy and left all of the cutouts un-upholstered... Once I have enough batteries, you won't be able to tell when it's full. Still need to set up the right side for all of the misc items...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 98
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 82
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 84
Finally got around to doing some work on the case. Here are some updated photos. Set up for 2 remotes, 6 batteries, and the gimbal in its original box. I was personally a little scared to leave it on all the time. I got a little lazy and left all of the cutouts un-upholstered... Once I have enough batteries, you won't be able to tell when it's full. Still need to set up the right side for all of the misc items...
Looks great man, I ended up getting the same case and am currently working on the foam cutting. How did you manage to attach the top foam to the roof of the case? It seems like it may be difficult to get it to stick due to the edges sticking out..

Reactions: Mwsartain
I actually had to use a dremel tool to saw down some of the ridges to make the bird fit better without the lid hitting it. Turns out that it is a pretty tight fit. Once I did that there was a little more surface area, and I just sprayed a crap ton of spray adhesive all over the lid.. Then I set it down 90 degrees on it back, put the foam on it and put my huge socket set on it then piled a bunch of heavy stuff on it till it dried. It will still come off easy if you were to peel it, but I think that it should stay on okay during normal use.

My first thought was to get one of those really thin plastic cutting boards to screw into the lid so I would have a nice flat surface for the lid foam, but after I realized that there was not a lot of room to play with, I figured I'd see how this works out.

OK, so I finished off the case and it looks pretty good. However, since it is such a tight fit (vertically) I think that I may not keep it.. My initial thought was that it would probably be safe to check this at an airport for transport, but since it is a little too tight, I don't think that I would want to risk it.. I still think that it it awesome for doing anything other than checking onto an airplane... I just went ahead and ordered a GPC landing mode case, so I will prolly either try to sell this one, or tear it apart and just keep it as an actual toolbox.

If anyone in the North Texas area is interested, let me know.. I really don't think it would be worth any shipping costs so that is why I say North Texas folks.. I am not trying to make any money off of it.. prolly sell it for like $75 to cover my actual expenses...

Exactly.. I ordered the GPC landing mode case this morning.. **** thing already shipped... Woot woot..

Funny thing is that I rarely ever travel, so I will prolly never need the one I just bought... But at least now I know that I am good to go in the event that I ever do...

Exactly.. I ordered the GPC landing mode case this morning.. **** thing already shipped... Woot woot..

Funny thing is that I rarely ever travel, so I will prolly never need the one I just bought... But at least now I know that I am good to go in the event that I ever do...

DMelle..can you expand on the tightness of the HomeDepot (HD) case. Did you see that HD sells a deeper case as well that might accommodate the Inspire better (maybe even in landing mode)? As of right now I don't foresee myself traveling with my Inspire so was leaning on constructing my own case (in landing mode) for the Inspire 1. I don't want to sound lazy but the set up time going from travel mode to Pre-Flight checked is so much longer than when the bird is in landing mode and gimbal is on :)

Last edited:
Well, it does fit.. And for using it as a transport case in any way other than flying it is perfect.

I did in fact use a dremel tool to remove as much as I thought was safe directly above the inspire just as @Outta Control said above. The thing is.. I had initially had foam in the bottom of the case under the feet, but that would not allow the lid to close easily, so I ended up cutting it out under the feet and they were just sitting on the bottom of the plastic case... Then I added some really soft foam down there so the feet were not actually touching. I also put the foam on the lid (after material was removed with the dremel). It fits ok, but it does put slight pressure on the Inspire.. Not enough to be dangerous in everyday use, but if anything was slammed onto the top of the case, all of that energy would be transferred to the legs of the Inspire. And since they are carbon fiber, I think that could cause them to break in the right circumstances...

The way I have it set up, when you just lay the lid closed, the lid foam sits on the inspire... you actually have to push down slightly and compress some of the foam to latch the case. Makes the Inspire snug in there which is good, but again, if something were to be slammed down on the lid, I could potentially see a problem.

Did you see that HD sells a deeper case as well that might accommodate the Inspire better (maybe even in landing mode)?

This case is set up for landing mode... At least in my implementation... If you go up a little bit in the thread, you can see some of the pics that I took of mine.

DMelle..can you expand on the tightness of the HomeDepot (HD) case. Did you see that HD sells a deeper case as well that might accommodate the Inspire better (maybe even in landing mode)? As of right now I don't foresee myself traveling with my Inspire so was leaning on constructing my own case (in landing mode) for the Inspire 1. I don't want to sound lazy but the set up time going from travel mode to Pre-Flight checked is so much longer than when the bird is in landing mode and gimbal is on :)
You ever go forward with building the deeper case? I am looking to build one with the deeper case to house 2 inspires. One in travel mode, and one in landing mode. Would love too see what u came up with if u built it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool