Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Rubber landing mat?

Reaction score
Would it help to have one for compass calibration? I ask because I know that I will have to take off at times on concrete. Would a certain size rubber mat help at all?

Would it help to have one for compass calibration? I ask because I know that I will have to take off at times on concrete. Would a certain size rubber mat help at all?

I'm comfused why you think it would help for compass calibration - pretty sure magnetic flux happily passes through rubber like it isn't there!

Also.... ANY kind of landing mat IMO is a bad idea..... and this is why ->

I'm with Editor, how would a rubber mat assist in a compass calibration?

On the topic of this, I think there is definitely potential for future development of a mobile self-leveling landing platform. I've seen a commercial one made of some sort of acrylic with holes in it, but it was small and I don't think the optical flow sensors would like the holes or clear acrylic. A level metal-free platform for field IMU calibrations made from some sort of 'optical flow friendly' material to deter problems with that system while taking off or landing would have a lot of interest for those that don't fly at ideal sites all the time.

Reactions: turbodronepilot
I use a piece of plywood for takeoff and landing for my p2v+ because I live in the mountains and where I fly it is dirty..I've read about the optical sensor and was wondering what the best material and design would be for a launch pad for my inspire1. .

Probably just keep using plywood so you don't keep kicking up dirt.

I posed this question out of ignorance but I do know it will be tough at times not to take off on concrete that surely has rebar under it, or floors that surely have pipe under it. Long and short- the rules will be bent a number of times when it comes to this, for me. Grass is not always a given out there.

Probably just keep using plywood so you don't keep kicking up dirt.

I posed this question out of ignorance but I do know it will be tough at times not to take off on concrete that surely has rebar under it, or floors that surely have pipe under it. Long and short- the rules will be bent a number of times when it comes to this, for me. Grass is not always a given out there.

Hi Shockwave - I do not think you need to worry too much about the rebar issue etc on the inspire as you do on say a Phantom model.

The reason being on the Phantom the compass is located VERY close to the ground at the bottom of the landing leg. Not so on the Inspire.

On one of my Hex's the GPS/Compass puck is 15" above the ground and I have NEVER had an issue taking off from car parks or large areas of concrete etc which were bound to have metal in them. I do not think it will be an issue for the Inspire either.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop