Welcome to InspirePilots.com

Join the leading DJI Inspire community for free!

Search and Rescue payload release.

Discussion in 'Public Safety' started by Richard T, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Richard T

May 28, 2015
    In a search and rescue scenario once the victim is found and is in need of temporary
    first aid items or a communication device ( cell phone/walkie talkie) how could a device be dropped with a small payload to the victim until a SnR team could get to them.

My questions are:
    1. Is there such a attachment available for quadcopters and if so could it be used on a Inspire?

2. How would the device be released with the payload attached with a Inspire transmitter?

I did see this on You Tube video and sent them email a few weeks ago and have not received anything from them to date.
    If this particular item is available I wonder how it could be married to the Inspire transmitter for release.

This is the website that makes this and as I said I emailed them and so far no response.

Payloader - Night edition
    I am sure this small payload would be easy for the Inspire to carry.

Thanks for any input....
    #1 Richard T, Sep 23, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  2. SultanGris

Jun 27, 2015
    you would need separate transmitter/receiver hardware coupled to a servo/actuator that would control the opening/closing of the grip on whatever you wanted to drop, not likely to be accomplished through existing remote controller. certainly easily possible with a little technical know how though.
  3. The Editor

The Editor Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 7, 2013
    The Inspire is not the best platform for this kind of work. The TX/RX combination is a proprietary system that has the video embedded within the 2.4ghz data stream. There is no 'spare channel' as such for the end user to utilise.
    You would be far better suited to use a self built system with some redundant channels available. It would then be a very simple matter of rigging upma release mechanism via servo mapped to a spare channel.
    The other thing to keep in mind is that in a lot of countries, attaching ANYTHING to a multirotor and then releasing it is either illegal or will require special permissions for a specific drop.
  4. UAV Man

Aug 25, 2015
    Tend to have to agree, Inspires sexy looks are not really suited to the addition of any 'payload' or micro controller release type interface. I'm trying to develop a micro gps/gsm recovery module with a parachute and finding a few issues. A simple servo catch release is simple but reliability at range is an issue. I've dabbled with long range Bluetooth and found its possible but you have to keep in mind unless you want to see flight time drop you have to include an additional battery with the mechanics.

Suggestion is to hunt down a good hexa-copter+ kit add the bare minimum and some good motors with lifting capacity. Multi feature comms board with additional buttons and switches. Seriously a lot less hassle.

Good luck,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk