Welcome to InspirePilots.com

Join the leading DJI Inspire community for free!

USA Section 333 / COA confusion!

Discussion in 'Certified UAV Pilots' started by Jim Z, May 2, 2016.

1. Jim Z

I just received my Section 333 and Blanket COA (after 6 months). I do not have a pilot’s license.

Perhaps my questions have been addressed in previous posts, but I’ve spent a good deal of time searching, and found conflicting information.

Can I legally operate commercially along with a Sports Pilot License holder who does not have a 333?

Can I legally operate commercially along with a Commercial Pilot who does not have a 333?

The 333 refers to both “The Operator” and the “PIC”. Can I be the 333 Operator, while a non-333 PIC is the Visual Observer?

The Blanket COA that came with my 333 is confusing. Does this COA apply to ALL my UA operations?

Apparently, when I am operating “Over or near people directly participating in the operation of the UAS”, I do not need to notify the FSDO, but I DO need to notify the FSDO 72 hours in advance when operating “Near but not over people directly participating in the intended purpose of the UAS operation.” Huh?

I see that on the COA, I need to file monthly reports. I have the FAA website, looks simple enough (except, what is the “Proponent” field?)

What exactly are “negative / zero flights”?

I’ve regularly been flying at an unpopulated soccer field along with an associate. This is for practice / recreational, not for commercial purposes? Is this legal for me to do, and how would I report that on the monthly report?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

2. SanCap

3. Jim Z

I can't thank you enough for your prompt and thorough response. This definitely clears things up, and allows me to make further progress legally. Sorry if I seemed a bit pedantic or ignorant, but I REALLY wanted to make sure I'm getting this right, and I do believe that "the only stupid question is the one that wasn't asked!" Thanks!

SanCap likes this.
  4. SanCap

You are welcome but do not take the way I intemperate the rules as law. I may be wrong on some counts so use my info as a reference to learn and educate yourself more. Don't be afraid to call your local FSDO and ask their interpretations on some of your questions.

5. Jim Z

Yes, calling my local FSDO is on the agenda for tomorrow.

6. SanCap

Let me know if any of the advice is somewhat accurate.

7. ianwood

Two things:
    1. Your mileage with the FSDO will vary. They don't all operate the same way and some are better versed than others. They're not always right.
    2. All your operations need to fit under the blanket COA. If they don't, you need to file for a special COA which can take 60 days to get approved. An example of this would be flying within 5 miles of an airport.

SanCap likes this.
  8. SanCap

Ian, have you filed for any special COA's and have had them approved? I have 7 filed for about 4 weeks ago and they have gone to the second stage of approval/denial.

9. ianwood

Yes. All for airports. The last batch are taking exceedingly long.

10. licensed pilot

Anyone here ever received a COA inside class B airspace? Doubtful but just checking...

11. SanCap

Do you set one location with lat and lon or give them a 4 corner area with 4 lats an lons?

12. Jim Z

I left a voicemail with the FSDO on Wednesday. Have not heard back. Will try again Monday.

13. ianwood

I identify a radius from the center of the airport along with a height limit.

SanCap likes this.
  14. SanCap

Thanks for the reply Ian, what is the largest radius you have gotten approved?