Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Sell me a Inspire 1 V2.0

Reaction score
I see the price has dropped to $1999 for the Inspire. I just bought a Phantom 4 and I am considering taking it back to get the inspire. I only hesitate as I am concerned that I could be taking a step backward, rather than forward! The Phantom 4 does some remarkable stuff but I am not sure how I can use these new P4 features to make money. Still I am really impressed with how stable the P4 is. Is the Inspire as stable? Camera seems to have about the same specs and of course it is upgradeable, but is it a better camera? Does the inspire have a better lens? What about software does the Inspire allow more features? Does Autopilot or litchi app allow more function such as camera control? I have not been real impressed with panning with the P4 unless I turn the drone very slowly I get more detail loss then what I like. Perhaps the camera turning without the drone turning would solve this ? Can I hover and then only move the camera without having a second controller? I do not really see me using two people one for the drone and another for the camera. I often get the props and even the feet in the P4 video at times, seems like this would go away with the Inspire. Not really sure when and how the feet go up and down, sounds like it may be when it is close to the ground which could be undesirable if flying low.

I will be using it professionally and I am not sure exactly what that will be, depending on what is the most profitable, real estate, survey, industry, etc. I am doing a 333 wavier and I am a commercial pilot.
Can someone assure me that this will not be a mistake going to the inspire 1? I have read all the specs but I am more interested in real world opinions as to why you would think this is a step forward for me.

I just purchased a 27" 5K iMac, 2TB fusion drive to edit video for my drone using final cut pro so I can do a good job with 4K.

I am still very much in a learning mode while I am waiting for the 333 wavier and I have a window where I can still return the P4 to Best Buy.

Dave,

Welcome to the Club. It's a little difficult to answer your questions without knowing your background in photography. Are you a highly skilled amateur photographer? If not, you will have a larger learning curve. In my business, professional photography, there is something called "housewives with cameras", referring to women who purchase fancy looking cameras and want to become "professional" and sell their pictures. While some undoubtedly make a few bucks taking pictures at weddings for their own family, the results are almost universally disappointing. With no experience in video, I consider it extremely intimidating. I doubt I will live long enough to become a decent video guy.

I don't want to sound too negative, you may be the one guy in a million with the Golden Touch, with natural artistic abilities that translate immediately to photography / videography. If you were already a successful real estate photographer with a client base my advice would be different but it seems your background is in aviation. So my advice would be: keep your P4, its a fun toy, get AutoPilot (fabulous software), play with it for a year, hone your video editing skills, get used to the workflow, etc. Once you believe you can deliver professional results, to be successful you would need a realistic business plan / marketing strategy. About the time you get your first real client, you will discover all the Kids with Drones willing to do the same thing for 1% of what you charge.

Bob

Bob, thanks for your reply. I too am sceptic about the potential market, but can afford to make the P4 or the Inspire a expensive toy, if the FAA gives everyone that has a couple of dollars to buy a drone an license to fly. On the other hand we might have the FAA sit on this for years (they are great at this) and reconsider given the press drones have gotten. How to handle drones in our airspace is not as simple of a solution as what the FAA has proposed. They left out "sense and avoid" and way too many other holes, such as distance from people, flights over crowds, etc. If the NPRM goes through they will open pandora's box.

It seems that drone photos and video in the real estate market may already be a passing fad.

I have always been a high end amateur photographer having a personal color darkroom and then in later years photoshop. In addition I have an extensive high tech background, RC airplanes and helicopters and an active commercial pilot/flight instructor. I have all of the skill set background (and pilot license) a person could hope for entering this market.

Even as a sceptic I am still leaning towards getting the Inspire 1. It will cost me even less than the price difference. After I add a real case for the P4, the missing HDMI port, the sales tax I will not have to pay, the price difference almost goes away or at least becomes insignificant.

I guess what I am looking for reassurance from this forum that I am not making a mistake and taking a step backwards buying older technology. I am not looking for a simple "buy the Inspire" but more of the reasons I should do so. Not being a expert (yet) there probably are reasons I have not considered.

Not sure that I will be the one with the Golden Touch but I find the emerging field exciting, and the possibility of making a profit justification for moving forward.

In the business we call them GWC's; guys with cameras. I'm always skeptical about people who preface their experience with their list of gear because the best end result is really what the goal is right? What step backwards in technology do you think you would you taking by buying an Inspire1 v1 other than collision avoidance?

In my opinion the Phantom (albeit a good drone) is a GWC's or Housewife Drone. I mean anyone could get a drone and when they do, they usually buy a Phantom right? The body of the Phantom line still screams toy to me and if you already consider yourself a highly skilled amateur, why not separate yourself from the pack and take the next step up and get the Inspire 1. Now I must say this (because I own a 3DR Solo as well), you can't / don't want to pull the Inspire out at every event that you're doing drone work for. When you sit the Inspire 1 next to something like the Phantom or Solo, there's a huge difference and the sheer size of the Inspire 1 can be daunting if you're shooting a small event so - in the end, you might find yourself purchasing another drone that will suite your needs depending on the event you're working.

Autopilot is very robust and you have full camera control when you create a mission. I actually think you have too much control via autopilot as some of the more simple things that you may want to do are hard (for me) to achieve. I haven't tried anything other than it and DJI Go. The huge draw to Autopilot was being able to plan missions in Google Earth and then import the mission into AutoPilot with no problems. Every aspect of flight is controllable and reviewable in Autopilot without ever putting your bird in the air.

Whichever you decided to purchase, you need to write into your budget the cost of batteries. I have 6 and they still don't seem like enough.

What step backwards in technology do you think you would you taking by buying an Inspire1 v1 other than collision avoidance?

The other P4 features are follow me, tap n fly and perhaps a few others. But I am not visualizing how I can use these features to make money. Seeing the props in otherwise excellent quality video say "toy" to me more than the size of the P4.

I did return the P4 today as I was getting near the end of the Best Buy return period. I am prepared to buy another P4 or Inspire 1 V2.0. I had three batteries which I returned as well which seem adequate for now. I always seemed to use at least two but only rairly use the third.

I am still wondering about the X3 camera and how it compairs with whatever is in the P4? Step up or step down? Do I need to remove the X3 after each session? It does seem as if setup is a bit more with the inspire.

I am almost sold on the Inspire and I am a little concerned about the assumed soon to be released Inspire 2. At $1999 I may be able to get much of this back in resale if I got to have the new model. I can't really picture what would make the Inspire 2 a must have other then better camera for less money, but I am guessing this will not be the "big improvement".

The other P4 features are follow me, tap n fly and perhaps a few others. But I am not visualizing how I can use these features to make money. Seeing the props in otherwise excellent quality video say "toy" to me more than the size of the P4.

I did return the P4 today as I was getting near the end of the Best Buy return period. I am prepared to buy another P4 or Inspire 1 V2.0. I had three batteries which I returned as well which seem adequate for now. I always seemed to use at least two but only rairly use the third.

I am still wondering about the X3 camera and how it compairs with whatever is in the P4? Step up or step down? Do I need to remove the X3 after each session? It does seem as if setup is a bit more with the inspire.

I am almost sold on the Inspire and I am a little concerned about the assumed soon to be released Inspire 2. At $1999 I may be able to get much of this back in resale if I got to have the new model. I can't really picture what would make the Inspire 2 a must have other then better camera for less money, but I am guessing this will not be the "big improvement".

Follow me, etc is a product of the DJI GoApp not the drone itself. If you're worried about what's coming down the pipe all I can say is: welcome to technology. I'm not sure how I would feel if I bought a Phantom 4 and in less than a year 4 iterations of the Phantom hit the market. The phantom 4 camera is a little bit sharper (so they say), than the Inspire 1 camera straight off the card but you don't want too much sharpness straight out of the camera because you want to control that in post. You can buy a case that will allow you to store the Inspire in landing mode; that's something that I just did and it works well and cuts the setup time in half.

You can take into consideration actual flight time which is about 20 to 24 minutes with the Phantom 4 as opposed to 15 to 18 mins with a TB48. If you're really interested in the step up with the camera you have to look at the X5 but even the X5 camera has it been getting rave reviews.

Last edited:
The x3 would not be an upgrade from the p4 camera. If you get the inspire then you would need to get the pro with the x5 or x5r for it to be worth it imo, and like others said there is work to be done after flying to grade the footage.

I leave my camera attached all the time.

You will get longer flight times with the p4, but you have to deal with the arms, and props showing up in the video. You will not have this issue with the inspire.

Now I am a bit concern that the video X3 camera will be a step backwards from the P4.

It also sounds like the battery capacity, at least for the TB47 that comes with it, has very limited capacity. I think the bigger battery may also require a different charger.

I have been reading that the performance has been degraded with each firmware upgrade and that it may therefore not do well with wind.

I am now getting concern that the inspire 1 v2.0 for $1,999 is not as good as a Phantom 4. You really need the bigger battery and X5 camera if I want to step up. These additional cost does make it a huge price difference.

Dave,

I've never seen a Phantom 4, but every time my friends see my Inspire fly they are jealous. Bigger, more stable, can't be mistaken for a toy.

Re: batteries, forget the TB47, does anyone actually use those? You'll need 4-8 TB48's. You'll also want one of those SuperChargers so you can charge everything at once.

For me, I bought my Inspire last year shortly before they announced the Pro series. I expected to order one immediately, but I don't use mine in the winter, so I thought I would wait til Spring. Now I think I'll wait for Pro version B.

Bob

Sent from my BagPhone using Tapatalk

Re: batteries, forget the TB47, does anyone actually use those? You'll need 4-8 TB48's. You'll also want one of those SuperChargers so you can charge everything at once.

The Inspire 1 comes with the TB47 which seems like a throw away along with the charger. The X3 may be a throw away as well. This in effect tripples the price. 8xTB48=$1,600 plus a charger. X5=$2,200, etc.

More than this I am concerned about all the downgrades that have occurred with the firmware updates. It sounds like it does not do very well in the wind unless you have old firmware that certainly will not come with a new Inspire.

With all the negatives comments I am wondering if the price reduction is to get rid of remaining stock before they discontinue the model.

I do not want to buy a drone to impress the friends because of its size (which is another disadvantage).

If I am getting less battery life (even with th TB48), less video performance and less stability than the Phantom 4 plus the bad press it get here and on other forums, it makes sense to drop the Inspire.

I do not want to make a $2,000 mistake. Is the Inspire 1 a dinosaur in today's rapidly changing technology?

I think you are right in concluding, because of the price drop, there is a new model around the corner. But if you want a professional setup, you'll need more than an Inspire and one battery. Can't recall exactly, but it seems I spent $6,400 on mine last fall. That was 4 batteries, a bunch of filters, SD micro cards, Smart Charger, 2 iPads since replaced with iPad Pro's, fancy $500 case which I never use, extra props, well you get the idea. At the same time I also bought a TurboAce heavy lifter, an even more expensive setup. In my case the cost doesn't concern me in the least because I can pay for it all by taking one picture, if I choose to.

Good luck with your decision.

Bob

Dave, you'll never win the race with technology. It all comes down to your expectations/budget, but the purchased equipment is obsolete already...
Vintage Inspire 1 with X3 camera (apparently on sale) will provide similar to P4 photo/video results, give or take. Inspire 1 Pro is much, much more advanced due to X5 camera features and specs. Among the most obvious advantages is the interchangeability of lenses. Several of them are supported (Olympus Zuiko series in particular), providing results comparable to good DSLR's. Personally I don't see much to desire using just 12mm and 45mm lenses on my X5 ...

The Inspire 1 comes with the TB47 which seems like a throw away along with the charger. The X3 may be a throw away as well. This in effect tripples the price. 8xTB48=$1,600 plus a charger. X5=$2,200, etc.

More than this I am concerned about all the downgrades that have occurred with the firmware updates. It sounds like it does not do very well in the wind unless you have old firmware that certainly will not come with a new Inspire.

With all the negatives comments I am wondering if the price reduction is to get rid of remaining stock before they discontinue the model.

I do not want to buy a drone to impress the friends because of its size (which is another disadvantage).

If I am getting less battery life (even with th TB48), less video performance and less stability than the Phantom 4 plus the bad press it get here and on other forums, it makes sense to drop the Inspire.

I do not want to make a $2,000 mistake. Is the Inspire 1 a dinosaur in today's rapidly changing technology?
Then don't buy one.

Next.

Reactions: John Archer
The X3 will be comparable to the P4 camera and the good news is that you can easily upgrade to the X5 later when you have the .

You don't need a bunch of batteries right away, buy them as you go.

The Inspire is much more stable in the wind.

Fly an Inspire, you will never want to touch a phantom again.
RC
Actually many pilots - including myself - may disagree with such opinion. Phantom 3 series of drones employs basically identical set of flight controlling and video transmitting features. Naturally different power, mass and aerodynamics results in different flying characteristics, like - say - an eagle and a hawk. Camera quality and features aside, Phantom 3 may perform better in some situations where piloting an Inspire may be not consideration worthy. Both are equally enjoyable when flying, although this issue is of lesser importance in this thread.

Reactions: John Archer
Actually many pilots - including myself - may disagree with such opinion. Phantom 3 series of drones employs basically identical set of flight controlling and video transmitting features. Naturally different power, mass and aerodynamics results in different flying characteristics, like - say - an eagle and a hawk. Camera quality and features aside, Phantom 3 may perform better in some situations where piloting an Inspire may be not consideration worthy. Both are equally enjoyable when flying, although this issue is of lesser importance in this thread.

I own both... P3 ADV and Inspire. I feel it would be very misleading to say they fly alike. Whether the P3 is as fun to fly is personal preference.

Both fly well but the best analogy would be the inspire is a fine sports car and the phantoms are family sedans. They both get you where you are going, one just does it and puts a smile on your face.

If this guy is a pilot, he will feel like he's driving a bus with a Phantom.

I am strongly leaning in the direction of the Inspire 1 V2.0 and will probably buy one this week. I am also wondering what is my best source. Since everyone seems to be fixed on the $1,999 price I was thinking of getting it from DJI direct but would appreciate other thoughts.

It is also clear that my indecision has annoyed some on this forum, which of course was never my intent. A lot of my concern has been the poor reports that the Inspire has received on the forums. It appears that a lot of this has been due to firmware upgrades problems that appear to not get resolved. I was hoping that there would be some reassurance that this is not a huge problem.

I do understand that the X5 is a significant camera upgrade, and it should be considering what it costs. I probably will do an X5 or even X5raw once I can turn a few dollars to justify the additional costs, but I am really looking at getting enough that I can get by until I have the income to justify more expenses.

I think that answer is the Inspire 1 v2.0. I was hoping that I would get some reassurance here that I was making the right decision, hence the title "Sell me an Inspire 1 V2.0", as I really do want to be sold.

I may have left the impression that I am concerned about the rapidly changing technology. This is not the case, I do realize that what I buy today will not be adequate in 6 months. I accept that, but do want to make sure that with today's available technology I am making the right decision.

With all of the negative comments regarding the Inspire 1 here, perhaps this is not the best place to get my questions answered, I have back off of asking any more questions here.

As a commercial pilot, and flight instructor, I do appreciate an responsive aircraft, but I have never met an aircraft I did not like. They all are great, and it all depends on what your mission is as to what is the best aircraft. I expect drones to be no different even though the mission is quite different.

Last edited:
I own both... P3 ADV and Inspire. I feel it would be very misleading to say they fly alike. Whether the P3 is as fun to fly is personal preference.

Both fly well but the best analogy would be the inspire is a fine sports car and the phantoms are family sedans. They both get you where you are going, one just does it and puts a smile on your face.

If this guy is a pilot, he will feel like he's driving a bus with a Phantom.

hmm.. I would consider the inspire more of a Rolls Royce . I had my p3 & p4 filming in places no Inspire will ever dare to venture.

Reactions: WilsonFlyer

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop