Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Serious drone injury

That's horrible! This is the reason I will never take off if anyone is within 15 ft of the quad. And then once I take it off I take it to about 10 ft minimum so if something did happen it will be well over everyone's head. This could of easily be avoided.

BBC:- Toddler's eyeball sliced in half by drone propeller - sUAS News

It was only a matter of time.
The problem with flying near children is that they dont understand the risk, and dont get out of the way.
Whoever was flying this should have known that and not done so near the kid.

Poor little fellah, hope he recovers as well as possible soon.
Tragic events, was on the BBC's Watchdog program this week. Guy was flying in an enclosed area with kids and trees in close proximity. Unfortunately this type of accident will continue to happen, this Christmas end of 2015 will mark the biggest year for drone sales in the UK. The little fellow has lost his eye and is now waiting for the wound to heal so prosthetic eye can be fitted. Regardless of cost anything with a rotating blade can cause injury to soft tissue. How can you control this? I am really worried where all this is going. Go onto YouTube people flying over crowds, taking off from there backyard in the middle of housing estates, car parks with cars all around, over cities and highways. Public parks with people all around, flying way beyond line of sight etc I could go on. Its about flying responsibly wherever you are in the world.

Its one thing having laws its another thing knowing those laws. An that is compounded by little or no enforcement of those laws here in the UK.

Over the last 2 years flying these things and much thought (before this incident) I have come to the conclusion that training, insurance and examining should be compulsory for everyone. It doesn't have to be too indepth and could be done by the likes of BMFA (AMA equiv.)

I met 2 people this week who bought multirotors for the first time (one an 2nd hand Inspire) and niether of them were aware of (UK) the 50m people/object/vehicle distance nor the 150m exclusion rule for areas of settlement. One flew it over industial/residential area and lost it. It was just ignorance. I know this will ruffle self regulating advocate fredom fighters here but thats my opinion.

Until there is law education, training and enforcement for all we will have a greater chance of more incidences like this.

BBC:- Toddler's eyeball sliced in half by drone propeller - sUAS News

It was only a matter of time.
The problem with flying near children is that they dont understand the risk, and dont get out of the way.
Whoever was flying this should have known that and not done so near the kid.

Poor little fellah, hope he recovers as well as possible soon.

Sure, this is extremely tragic for the little guy. And my heart goes out to him and his parents.
The pilot, well no excuse, never. As a pilot you are obligated to mitigate every possible risk. However a lot of ignorant consumers just don't grasp what the risks are, even though it is normally clearly pointed out in funny kids cartoon style, in the manual or on the side of the toy box.......

But I don't understand the real news value compared to this (just an example):

"In the U.S. for 2010, there were 31,513 deaths from firearms, distributed as follows by mode of death: Suicide 19,308; Homicide 11,015; Accident 600.
The number of non-fatal injuries is considerable--over 200,000 per year in the U.S. Many of these injuries require hospitalization and trauma care. A 1994 study revealed the cost per injury requiring admission to a trauma center was over $14,000. The cumulative lifetime cost in 1985 for gunshot wounds was estimated to be $911 million, with $13.4 billion in lost productivity. (Mock et al, 1994) The cost of the improper use of firearms in Canada was estimated at $6.6 billion per year. (Chapdelaine and Maurice, 1996)"

We're so being played by the media. I'm not starting a rant against firearms here.
But this one injury caused by a lunatic with a drone should not be world news at all.
Edit: eventually people lose their kids when they get ran over by a truck and won't see that covered in the paper, just because there's no drone involved.

Reactions: The Shadow
Horrible!
This is a good reminder for all of us to fly safe for our own good but especially for that of others.
1st rule for flying: if you can not fly safely do not fly at all.
Fly safe you all out there and many happy landings!

Sure, this is extremely tragic for the little guy. And my heart goes out to him and his parents.
The pilot, well no excuse, never. As a pilot you are obligated to mitigate every possible risk. However a lot of ignorant consumers just don't grasp what the risks are, even though it is normally clearly pointed out in funny kids cartoon style, in the manual or on the side of the toy box.......

But I don't understand the real news value compared to this (just an example):

"In the U.S. for 2010, there were 31,513 deaths from firearms, distributed as follows by mode of death: Suicide 19,308; Homicide 11,015; Accident 600.
The number of non-fatal injuries is considerable--over 200,000 per year in the U.S. Many of these injuries require hospitalization and trauma care. A 1994 study revealed the cost per injury requiring admission to a trauma center was over $14,000. The cumulative lifetime cost in 1985 for gunshot wounds was estimated to be $911 million, with $13.4 billion in lost productivity. (Mock et al, 1994) The cost of the improper use of firearms in Canada was estimated at $6.6 billion per year. (Chapdelaine and Maurice, 1996)"

We're so being played by the media. I'm not starting a rant against firearms here.
But this one injury caused by a lunatic with a drone should not be world news at all.
Edit: eventually people lose their kids when they get ran over by a truck and won't see that covered in the paper, just because there's no drone involved.
I agree, but the point being made here is that people have been saying that its only a matter of time until a serious accident was caused by UAS. That has now happened and seriously affected the entire lifetime of a small child.

I hope we can all learn from it and wise-up if we are guilty of not following protocol

I agree, but the point being made here is that people have been saying that its only a matter of time until a serious accident was caused by UAS. That has now happened and seriously affected the entire lifetime of a small child.

I hope we can all learn from it and wise-up if we are guilty of not following protocol
Sure, I agree.
I wasn't trying to belittle this tragedy. It really is a terrible thing. And I have a lot empathy towards the child and the parents. If that happened to my kid, my god.....

It's going to be a jungle out there after christmas.

Its one thing having laws its another thing knowing those laws. An that is compounded by little or no enforcement of those laws here in the UK.

Over the last 2 years flying these things and much thought (before this incident) I have come to the conclusion that training, insurance and examining should be compulsory for everyone. It doesn't have to be too indepth and could be done by the likes of BMFA (AMA equiv.)

I met 2 people this week who bought multirotors for the first time (one an 2nd hand Inspire) and niether of them were aware of (UK) the 50m people/object/vehicle distance nor the 150m exclusion rule for areas of settlement. One flew it over industial/residential area and lost it. It was just ignorance. I know this will ruffle self regulating advocate fredom fighters here but thats my opinion.

Until there is law education, training and enforcement for all we will have a greater chance of more incidences like this.
Cannot see how this would work even the sub £80 drones can do damage, there must be hundreds of thousands in circulation already. Do you target by weight only unfair I would say. I have no facts but I would think most folks with an inspire size and cost unit fly responsibly or at least with a degree of caution.
Do I need training no! I have gone through the pain of multiple crashes over the years as I've learned the skills to control RC aircraft to a reasonable degree. I'm not embarrassed to say this is the first RC Aircraft I have owned that has lasted 8 months without requiring repairs. ( touch wood). The local RC aircraft club as long gone, I don't know where the nearest one to my location probably Aberdeen. Clubs are the only training outlets that are already established for novices or none pro flyers, whilst the income would be welcome there is no way they could handle the influx of trainees. You go into any toy or model shop and there are multi rotors of all shapes and makes most I've never heard off. Some sort of insurance at the point of sale, that wouldn't work and how would it be policed?
For me this is a hobby I've been involved in since I was 15 and flew my first slope soarer I have no desire to be a pro and earn a living from this. I just hope this does not turn into a them and us scenario. Just my opinion

Said his before,every idiot can sell a drone and every idiot can buy one.
All this attention to accidents getting way too much attention on tv and /or newspaper.Don't get me wrong I feel very sorry for this kid.But I think that almost everyone on this forum will fly responsible.But the main crowd only see the freaking news with accidents and will never visit a forum like this.
See Irish's quote:I met 2 people this week who bought multirotors for the first time (one an 2nd hand Inspire) and niether of them were aware of (UK) the 50m people/object/vehicle distance nor the 150m exclusion rule for areas of settlement.
Why the h*ll is this possible?Are people this stupid to buy a multirotor like an Inspire and never flew before?
So I believe that you can only buy a multirotor at certain shops and prove thjat you can fly and understand the rules and laws.
But this will never happen.
It's the main reason that I'm loosing my pleasure in this hobby.
If I give a comment on Youtube when I see people flying a drone above crowds or in populated area's you will almost be shot or at least get the question:why don't you f#ck up

Last edited:
i met a guy today who has an inspire, He didnt know why he couldnt fly it next to an airport or above 500m......
Unfortunately noone can stop people flying over crowds

i met a guy today who has an inspire, He didnt know why he couldnt fly it next to an airport or above 500m......
Unfortunately noone can stop people flying over crowds
That's what I mean.
1:why is it possible that he didn't get any information about flying a drone from where he bought it?I was always informed at my hobbyshop.
2:If such people buy a drone why is it so hard to get any info from whatever source.(responsible)

I get tired of the media doing anything to dramatize drones But, maybe by putting this out people who are buying these will garner some respect for the UAV. If it stops injuries for some this holiday season I can live with these reports. I am afraid we are going to see a lot more of these stories and its sad on many aspects. Too bad their isn't a common sense test before people are allowed to purchase a UAV. Buying from a Best Buy will get the purchaser no warnings or advise on how to safely operate one.

First, I am very sorry for this little boy. The loss of the eye will effect him the rest of his life, although I suspect that when he gets to be a teenager he'll tell what happened to him like a war story and his friends will say, "wow dude, you lost your eye to a drone!?!" and he'll be considered a bad ***.

Here's the thing, if you don't think a spinning propeller of ANY size hurt someone, especially soft tissue as in the eye, you are so stupid you should not be allowed to own a UAV, a car, certainly not a gun or anything that can hurt or kill another living being. Also, if you are so dumb as to fly a UAV around children (who are only a couple of feet off the ground), you should be institutionalized!

I never fly around children. I wouldn't consider it unless they were "actors" whose parents knew all the risks and then I would have extra grips or other safety people watching out for the kids when the QC was in the air and they would be instructed to get the kids out of the way if the aircraft started falling or went out-of-control. I don't even fly around adults unless they are fully aware of what I am doing and consent to being recorded by the QC.

I'm not perfect but I try to take every precaution I can for safe flying. When we first got our I1 my boss was so excited he wanted me to fly it in our office once to impress a client. I said NO. I simply would not take such a risk, even if he wanted to fire me for not doing it. I'd rather lose my job than hurt someone. Actually, he understood and said that was the right decision.

Those of you are are new to quad copter flying and are joining the forum for the first time:
Number 1: Always keep SAFETY top-of-mind. Fly safe
2. Be smart when you fly. If it seems too risky, it probably is, DON'T DO IT!
3. NEVER let someone else fly your UAV. They will ask but no matter who it is, even if they say they have experience, the answer is NO. It's your aircraft, you are responsible for what it does.
4. If you have ANY reservations about flying...equipment questions, environment questions, whatever...DON'T FLY! It's not worth taking the risk and hurting someone, yourself or losing your aircraft.

Anyone want to add to this list? Please do.

Absolutly right, couldn't agree more!
If people would be able to apply a little bit of risk/consequence assessment to their daily life...
Well, you know the rest.

Reactions: Dave Stanton
Freaking horrible it was a fpv racer,why in the hell would you fly that with a kid playing in yard ,he should face serious felony charges.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

If I was the pilot, I definately wouldnt have just sat for an interview and portrayed it like that.
That guy is an idiot. I wont even fly my v911 near my kid for fear of it hurting her......

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fastprintstar