Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

SFOC (Canada) - question about night time operations

Reaction score
Website
www.atli.ca
My company has a standing SFOC but presently limited to daytime operations only. I am drafting a new SFOC application to serve as a renewal, and would like to include dusk and night time operation.
To be honest, I have never flown the Inspire 1 at dusk or when it is dark.
How does one obtain experience to fly a UAV when it is dark?
What does Transport Canada look for to consider the competency of a UAV pilot to fly when the sun is below the horizon?
TC's staff instruction just states that the UAV must have lighting to be visible for VLOS operation, or otherwise have an alternate means of being visible, plus NVG and FPV goggles are not an acceptable means to provide unaided vision.

My company has a standing SFOC but presently limited to daytime operations only. I am drafting a new SFOC application to serve as a renewal, and would like to include dusk and night time operation.
To be honest, I have never flown the Inspire 1 at dusk or when it is dark.
How does one obtain experience to fly a UAV when it is dark?
What does Transport Canada look for to consider the competency of a UAV pilot to fly when the sun is below the horizon?
TC's staff instruction just states that the UAV must have lighting to be visible for VLOS operation, or otherwise have an alternate means of being visible, plus NVG and FPV goggles are not an acceptable means to provide unaided vision.
We got a 400' AGL day/200' AGL night SFOC. Wasn't too hard once we got our first one, simple modification of the application.
I was recommended by our SFOC 'consultant' to wait a month or so before re-applying for the night ops SFOC, which I did. It was then fairly promptly granted.
I think the competencies they look for are essentially the same. VLOS is key as you alluded to, and with the bright lights on the Inspire this isn't too much of an issue at night. I have an online UAV training certificate, for what that's worth, which I think helped matters as well.

I have an online UAV training certificate, for what that's worth, which I think helped matters as well.
Interesting. This means you are recognized as a UAV trainer? I also train UAV pilots on a variety of scenarios and wonder how to formalize this skill.

Interesting. This means you are recognized as a UAV trainer? I also train UAV pilots on a variety of scenarios and wonder how to formalize this skill.
No not a training certificate as in I train people, just that I took a ground school course.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marve84