Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Shaky footage with Panasonic 14-42mm

Reaction score
I exchanged the Olympus equivalent because of horrible noises gimbal did now I have the Panasonic 14-42mm and the official balancing ring for it. Sadly there is a lot of strange shaking when I film (Not only when I zoom in/out) and I'm on the edge of tears, less than month from now I have to film fancy footage for a convention in Pittsburgh and the X5 with DJI lens did perfectly last year with no shaking so I don't know what the f...is this one's problem. If it's the lens I'm gonna give it back and get Olympus 18mm fixed, if it's the camera I have no clue. Could the ''RED Props Rattle'' be the problem? Can someone confirm?

Last edited:
it's very difficult to say if there's any issue with the lens as the two videos you posted have a lot of abrupt and fast movement from your aircraft/camera moves.

I'd hazard a guess that you'll always have a slight jerk with the zoom at the sort of speed you are using it at, and you'll also always see some very slight camera movement at longer focal lengths as they magnify scenes, have a smaller angle of view, and amplify any camera movement and shake that the gimbal may not smooth out. Wider angle shots don't show so much movement because they have the effect of pushing everything further back.

You're also flying on a windy day (from the movement of the trees and reeds), and near to the ground with trees etc around, so you'll pick up some turbulence both from the wind, and from your own prop downwash.

So, try slowing down all round, slower zooms, and slower camera movements and try and get above the height of the tree line to get into cleaner air and reduce some of the turbulence.

I have been using the Panasonic 14-42 lens for quite awhile now and have had no problems at all.

I have been using the Panasonic 14-42 lens for quite awhile now and have had no problems at all.

I'm gonna give it few more tried but I also ordered 17mm Olympus lens and if it's sharper I will most likely drop the zoom and focus on quality overall, thanks.

I'm gonna give it few more tried but I also ordered 17mm Olympus lens and if it's sharper I will most likely drop the zoom and focus on quality overall, thanks.

Hello,
Have you balanced all 3 gimbal axes with the 14-42mm lens? This helps a lot when shooting with long lenses.

I have changed my props to CF 14x4.8 with the idea to get more stable footage when shooting with longer lenses but unfortunately there still can be seen some vibrations when flying in a windy situations (10m/s), to be honest it wasn't much different in those conditions than using the plastic dji props. In calm weather it's smooth as butter, but the speed and the wind are not friends of x5r with long lenses. The CF props are definitely helping a bit (at least you can be sure they are properly balanced which cannot be confirmed at 100% with the stock plastic props) but are not a miracle solver of the problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cleaningbyjen