Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Should I buy an Inspire

Reaction score
I really want an Inspire 1 but I'm worried that its for no reason other than the fact that it is badass. Is there anything that it can do that will really out perform my Phantom 3 Pro? I like the fact that I can upgrade to x5 camera down the line should I want to. I really only do this for hobby for now as my job requires I travel all over the world so I like to take my drones and film the cool places I visit and take photos. If you have experience with both please let me know what you think. I have a 20% coupon code that is burning a hole in my pocket.

If you have a Phantom 3 and only really drone for a hobby I wouldn't buy an Inspire. Especially since it sounds like you would want to tow it around everywhere you go. It's not the ideal drone to be carried around everywhere all the time, and requires more gear and more setup than the Phantom which you can essentially just plop down and take off.
We have both and use both extensively, and the Inspire 1 Pro with X5 camera is a very nice unit. That said I don't think you'll see much advantage, and it will be more of a pain in the *** to truck around everywhere you go.
That's my two cents.

I've had both. My two cents is, the P3 is like a Sport Bike where as the i1 is like a Harley, it's a cruiser.
Both can get you where you need to go but if you break/wreck the Harley.... oh my, some change is coming out of your pocket! I've crashed the P3 and every time I was screaming around the race track, but, it was only a prop or two, not an arm!

Reactions: Mmee
It is my first Quad Copter and would not think twice about having any other . I have a neighbor walking his dog and he could not believe his eyes when he
saw it flying and he has Phantom 3 and said the winds would never let him fly on day I was flying Inspire.. He was totally amazed what I was doing with just owning
Inspire for 3 days. It is much heavier and can withstand more windy days than Phantom. I have lots of trees/branches I am ducking around and have to be careful.
I bought it to do pictures of stream / creeks and more for Fall colors here in NJ.
My first one had to be returned after 5 days not getting it to install firmware. I was disappointed but
not at all sorry now that I invested 3k and have a good flying Inspire.
And will tell you 15 mintues into first flight blade hit branch I did not see and had to put new blade and attach camera back on.
But all is well.. If you have the money and it will not hurt you then buy it and enjoy what Inspire
will give you in looking up and seeing it better than Phantom and more stable in windy days.

Last edited:
It is my first Quad Copter and would not think twice about having any other . I have a neighbor walking his dog and he could not believe his eyes when he
saw it flying and he has Phantom 3 and said the winds would never let him fly on day I was flying Inspire.. He was totally amazed what I was doing with just owning
Inspire for 3 days. It is much heavier and can withstand more windy days than Phantom. I have lots of trees/branches I am ducking around and have to be careful.
I bought it to do pictures of stream / creeks and more for Fall colors here in NJ.
My first one had to be returned after 5 days not getting it to install firmware. I was disappointed but
not at all sorry now that I invested 3k and have a good flying Inspire.
And will tell you 15 mintues into first flight blade hit branch I did not see and had to put new blade and attach camera back on.
But all is well.. If you have the money and it will not hurt you then buy it and enjoy what Inspire
will give you in looking up and seeing it better than Phantom and more stable in windy days.
I have the phantom 3 and it can handle 15 mph wind pretty good but I am sure the Inspire is a lot better. Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

I've had both. My two cents is, the P3 is like a Sport Bike where as the i1 is like a Harley, it's a cruiser.
Both can get you where you need to go but if you break/wreck the Harley.... oh my, some change is coming out of your pocket! I've crashed the P3 and every time I was screaming around the race track, but, it was only a prop or two, not an arm!
Very true. Ill probably stick with the P3 for now, maybe wait and see what future generations of the inspire or phantom will bring.

If you have a Phantom 3 and only really drone for a hobby I wouldn't buy an Inspire. Especially since it sounds like you would want to tow it around everywhere you go. It's not the ideal drone to be carried around everywhere all the time, and requires more gear and more setup than the Phantom which you can essentially just plop down and take off.
We have both and use both extensively, and the Inspire 1 Pro with X5 camera is a very nice unit. That said I don't think you'll see much advantage, and it will be more of a pain in the *** to truck around everywhere you go.
That's my two cents.
Yeah I fly ALOT and I can easily bring my phantom as my carry on. The inspire on the other hand would always have to be checked.

Reactions: John Archer
All inspire owners had a decision to make including me. I bet you would find it highly rare that anyone of them will make a statement stating that they would rather fly the phantom and not the inspire. I just could not bring myself to purchase a phantom when others had the inspire.

The inspire is much quicker in forward flight than the phantom, and turns on a dime.

All inspire owners had a decision to make including me. I bet you would find it highly rare that anyone of them will make a statement stating that they would rather fly the phantom and not the inspire. I just could not bring myself to purchase a phantom when others had the inspire.

The inspire is much quicker in forward flight than the phantom, and turns on a dime.
That why I was thinking about getting the inspire and keeping my phantom as my spare/travel drone. But ill probably just wait another year or something and see what DJI does with themselves. Seems like they are really trying to provide better customer service these days and hopefully they're working on better tech for future models.

The Inspire is a great all in one solution for the average hobbyist all the way up to the Professional level. Is there better birds out there? Yes of course but get ready to shell out around 20 k for one of those babies. For us who are not the ultra rich the all around best bird is the DJI Inspire, and it is what I fly daily. The technology is not perfect but it's pretty dang smart and you will be seeing many improvements in the future. I definitely recommend the Inspire to anyone who wants a dependable stable bird with a great camera. If we can help in any way just give us a shout, we will do what it takes to make you happy. Wherever you buy your drone be sure the service is there after the sale, anyone can sell you a drone but not all will back you up when you have problem or question. Happy flying and good luck.

Respectfully,
Ralph

I purchased my Inspire 3 hours before my wife and I board the plane to Bora Bora, where we honey mooned. the P3P is about half the price of the Inspire... I know I will always think about the Inspire if I purchased the P3P, so I just went with the Inspire.

This is my first RC controlled toy in my life.

It can be quite windy at Bora Bora at present, I am not sure if Phantom 3 can handle the wind.

We are still here until 5th Feb.

I purchased my Inspire 3 hours before my wife and I board the plane to Bora Bora, where we honey mooned. the P3P is about half the price of the Inspire... I know I will always think about the Inspire if I purchased the P3P, so I just went with the Inspire.

It can be quite windy at Bora Bora at present, I am not sure if Phantom 3 can handle the wind.

Respect! Flying for the 1st time with all the things you have to learn in a short timeframe without pissing off your wife for "playing" with the inspire instead of her, boy, you should get an award ;) and then flying above the sea and delivering a video for this site, well done! Go on!

But i have to admit that i'm more than jealous, it is 1am, i'm sitting in my office, it is cold, dark and i'm in south Germany. Compared to your situation this is a worst case scenario.

Happy honeymoon! Have a good time and always fly safe :)

chris

I have a Phantom 3 Professional and got an Inspire on a whim when on sale.

No regrets.
I guess I can afford it...

It is badass though. It looks very intimidating when you fly it toward you. Like Skynet is coming for you. Easy to fly still.

One big reason I wanted to go Inspire over Phantom was being 65 yrs old and yes needing glasses that it was bigger and
that it has shape front to back and not symmetrical in shape as Phantom and just easier to spot in sky for distances that
I will fly it. That was my big factor in purchase.

Reactions: John Archer

My wife has booked us a vacation to Bora Bora in October, and when I suggested taking my Inspire she hit the roof. We're both retired "old" people but looks like she still has other things on her mind, so I guess I should just forget the Inspire and rely on your videos. Congratulations and enjoy your honeymoon and the Inspire.

One big reason I wanted to go Inspire over Phantom was being 65 yrs old and yes needing glasses that it was bigger and
that it has shape front to back and not symmetrical in shape as Phantom and just easier to spot in sky for distances that
I will fly it. That was my big factor in purchase.

I can feel your pain, i'm 45 and got my 1st glasses today. I feel old. :(

On top of that, my barber asked my 2 weeks ago if he should trim the hairs in my ears *shock!*

Chris

My wife has booked us a vacation to Bora Bora in October, and when I suggested taking my Inspire she hit the roof. We're both retired "old" people but looks like she still has other things on her mind, so I guess I should just forget the Inspire and rely on your videos. Congratulations and enjoy your honeymoon and the Inspire.

I'm not retired but i have 2 surpises for my wife today:

1. Glasses
2. Inspire

She knows nothing at all.

I have no clue how it will end today. Help me god.

Chris

Reactions: crashburn and Mmee
The inspire is a nice bird, but anyone asking if its good to get I would tell them to look at the no fly map and see how it impacts them. The forced restrictions can be quite draconian and a lot more than the law even requires. So your $3000+ investment may be grounded...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurskmvah