Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Should I buy an Inspire

I have the phantom 3 and it can handle 15 mph wind pretty good but I am sure the Inspire is a lot better. Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.
I live up in shetland and it's windy a lot,my cousin has a p3 and can go out half the times I do strongest steady wind was 24mph

I really want an Inspire 1 but I'm worried that its for no reason other than the fact that it is badass. Is there anything that it can do that will really out perform my Phantom 3 Pro? I like the fact that I can upgrade to x5 camera down the line should I want to. I really only do this for hobby for now as my job requires I travel all over the world so I like to take my drones and film the cool places I visit and take photos. If you have experience with both please let me know what you think. I have a 20% coupon code that is burning a hole in my pocket.

I am somewhat prone to RC vehicle buying. Over the years I have had them all, tanks, boats, scores of cp helicopters, airplanes etc etc. I fly airplanes for a living in my "real" life and last Spring was on a trip with a guy who was in the process of getting an aerial photography bussiness going with his primary airborne vehicle being an Inspire1. He had some videos shot with the Inspire1 but what got me going was the vids OF his Inspire1 , strobes flashing, configuration changes etc. I thought "that is COOL". Trip ended and I thought about the Inspire1 off and on for a few weeks.

I was at a bar having a few drinks with my oldest son, day dreaming a bit about the Inspire1 yet again. On the spot I pulled out my phone connected to the B&H Web Site and 2 days later my wife was asking "what is in this big box UPS just dropped off on the front steps?"

I had no commercial or professional reason to spend $3K on what for me was never going to be more then an expensive toy. I now have 20 hours on my "toy" having taken some cool video & stills,launched and RECOVERED my Inspire1 from my boat and impressed my friends & family at parties, all amounting to a lot of "fun" with my expensive toy.

My thoughts on YOU and Inspire1 and your coupon, would be "why not??" I can always justify buying expensive new toys that I don't need thinking of how much money over the years I have wasted on other stupid toys or things like beer, needlessly going out to eat etc, to conclude "what's another $3K ( with coupon LESS for you!!) !!"

If your paying your bills with ease, pull the trigger, you only live once.

PS: I used the above "logic" to convince myself last week that I needed a $300 RC Tiger Tank :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I really want an Inspire 1 but I'm worried that its for no reason other than the fact that it is badass. Is there anything that it can do that will really out perform my Phantom 3 Pro? I like the fact that I can upgrade to x5 camera down the line should I want to. I really only do this for hobby for now as my job requires I travel all over the world so I like to take my drones and film the cool places I visit and take photos. If you have experience with both please let me know what you think. I have a 20% coupon code that is burning a hole in my pocket.
I have both the Inspire 1 and the Phantom 3 Pro. I love them both. Camera wise you won't notice a big difference other then camera positioning. Flying in unknown areas I tend to fly the Phantom because of the cost factor if lost. Both aircraft are very trust worthy and stable in the air, as long as you do your pre-flight. Your right the Inspire 1 is bad-*** and a real eye catcher in the air. I'm am a older retired guy with no one at home to tell me how to spend my money (Wife) and money isn't the issue.
Because of its size of the Inspire 720.mp4 2015.12.29 05.14.39.463.png and if you buy the travel case for protection (aircraft storage) its a big carrying case and its heavy. The case that the Inspire ships with isn't sturdy enough for the cargo hole of a commercial Jet. Hope this helps.

I think you are structured a little bit like me. I had a fight with myself for a few weeks (i still can't believe that i had the strength to resist that long) and last week it got me and i pulled the trigger on the new year kit.

But the inspire is one thing, keep in mind that you need case (landing mode!) and a shitload of batteries which burn a second hole in your other pocket.

Side note: check that you get a T601 and not the old version (there is an interesting thread about this)

I have mine now since 3 days and i'm in love! Completly different than my Okto or the other toys but i love this sh*t and regret that i waited so long

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454775843.559616.jpg

you go 421!!! on your honeymoon and flying an I1!!!
I am retired and bought the I1 as my retirement gift. I have been flying for a few years and even built my own hex copter. I think the 3 axis, 360 degree gimbal is a plus, and the way the landing gear raises it is not easy to get them in the picture.
oh by the way...I1flhx.jpg I1flhx2.jpg the BEST of BOTH WORLDS!!!

Reactions: crashburn
One big reason I wanted to go Inspire over Phantom was being 65 yrs old and yes needing glasses that it was bigger and
that it has shape front to back and not symmetrical in shape as Phantom and just easier to spot in sky for distances that
I will fly it. That was my big factor in purchase.
Intersting! I celebrated my 65th last October and got my Inspire in the mail about 2 weeks ago. Also have a 2011 Tri-Glide in the stable. Peace be with you Brother!

Reactions: STClassic01
the reason i get inspire ...
  • i use for professional job mostly at industrial aerial by contract... Video / Picture / mapping / inspections stuff
  • if come to video... that is the best part..no nid worried about the landing gear get shot in the video
  • is moduler design which mean. it can upgrade overtime
  • sometimes i fly on wind heavy aerial cause some contract are get map / pic / video at the port, so wind mostly are very windy... n my inspire are rock solid
if for hobby... i would stay with phantom... i dun own one but i try my friends... more than enough for hobby.

My wife made an observation while watching drone footage with me on Vimeo. She said "some people whether it's a flying or in hand are just friggin' talented with a camera and no UAV is going to help those who don't have an eye for footage and post processing experience". I've seen a guy in Seattle who shoots photos with a fixed no axis gimbal and a DSLR hanging from it and his shots are simply amazing. What I'm saying is that you can practice, gain experience and maximize your ability with anything including your UAV and it doesn't have to be a $3k - $5k rig to get great footage. Just get out there and shoot man!

For example this P3 footage is super nice for less than I1 money.

The inspire is a nice bird, but anyone asking if its good to get I would tell them to look at the no fly map and see how it impacts them. The forced restrictions can be quite draconian and a lot more than the law even requires. So your $3000+ investment may be grounded...

I had a job last year to map 54 acres for a clients construction site. I get to the site and fire up the Inspire 1, but it's a no go! I pull up Google maps and find there is military reserve center near job site. I keep an Iris+ as for backup and it fit the bill just fine as Mission Planner is money all day and just works. Since that little incident I only map and inspect with Pixhawk based UAV's as most of my jobs are land surveys lately and I have an fixed wing for surveys beyond 60 acres. My I1 has actually turned into a mostly AP rig now as it sits more than any of my other rigs, but then again I'm not a hobbyist UAV guy like I used to be.
My main rigs are now my Iris+ (short maps), Tarot 680 Pro (inspection with a Sony A6000 and 55 - 200mm zoom lens) and my fixed wing (large maps up to 700 acres per hour on one batt). I'm watching these guys around here attempt to map with their I1's doing 200 - 300 acres and running through smart batts. Insane!

DREi
SkyAerialSolutions.com

Respect! Flying for the 1st time with all the things you have to learn in a short timeframe without pissing off your wife for "playing" with the inspire instead of her, boy, you should get an award ;) and then flying above the sea and delivering a video for this site, well done! Go on!

But i have to admit that i'm more than jealous, it is 1am, i'm sitting in my office, it is cold, dark and i'm in south Germany. Compared to your situation this is a worst case scenario.

Happy honeymoon! Have a good time and always fly safe :)

chris

Thanks Chris!
We are now back home, I must say I was very brave to let the airport luggage handler to handle my Inspire 1 in its original case + the carton box it came with. I will never do this again though. I will buy meself a proper hardcase and possibly put a medical equipment sticker on it.

I never flew a RC before, I always wanted to own a RC controlled gadget before so it was a lot to learn.

Southern Germany is a fun place! the Bavarian castles and the landscape. It would be spectacular in winter time and fly over with an Inspire...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop