Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Sidewards movement/play within motors

Reaction score
Hi all, I have also posted a similar topic within the DJI forums as well in order to see any different/similar identification on my observation.

I hope people don't take offence...

I am the owner of a second hand Inspire 1 V1 (circa March 2015) of which I have just under 10 hours worth of flying time. Based in Australia, Canberra. According to original owner he had done 30 hours worth of flying. Running a 1345S prop locking system.

I have recently noticed a bit of sidewards movement of the left front and back motors with the propellers attached. About 1-2mm. Ie when ensuring that the propellers are properly locked there is a bit of sidewards movement within in motor section when "wriggling" the props. I noticed the back one about 2 weeks ago and this weekend the front one.

Although I have a bit of mechanical aptitude I am wondering whether this is something to be concerned about and therefore no more flying until the issue is resolved. Is this potential bearing problems?

Anyhow, would much appreciate some suggestions. If it means replacing parts I am not adverse to that (probably on all four motors) as the alternative possibility is watching my bird fall out of the sky is not an option. :)

Cheers
Birty

Hey there damoncooper, DJI Support also got back to me very quickly last night asking for video. Will get something online within 24 hrs and will add link for viewing.

Cheers
Birty

Reactions: damoncooper
Hi all, I have also posted a similar topic within the DJI forums as well in order to see any different/similar identification on my observation.

I hope people don't take offence...

I am the owner of a second hand Inspire 1 V1 (circa March 2015) of which I have just under 10 hours worth of flying time. Based in Australia, Canberra. According to original owner he had done 30 hours worth of flying. Running a 1345S prop locking system.

I have recently noticed a bit of sidewards movement of the left front and back motors with the propellers attached. About 1-2mm. Ie when ensuring that the propellers are properly locked there is a bit of sidewards movement within in motor section when "wriggling" the props. I noticed the back one about 2 weeks ago and this weekend the front one.

Although I have a bit of mechanical aptitude I am wondering whether this is something to be concerned about and therefore no more flying until the issue is resolved. Is this potential bearing problems?

Anyhow, would much appreciate some suggestions. If it means replacing parts I am not adverse to that (probably on all four motors) as the alternative possibility is watching my bird fall out of the sky is not an option. :)

Cheers
Birty
Is this lateral movement of the motor shaft?
If so, ANY movement is bad. I would suspect the bearings.

Hopefully this will give a better understanding. Photo taken from the web for demonstration purposes.

There is no lateral movement in the shaft itself (thankfully) When holding the base of the motor to stop it from freely moving and when you wriggle the propeller (dark red line) to ensure it is properly held there is a 1-2mm rotating movement within the motor itself (bright red line).

ie the propeller will move 1-2mm in the same direction as the rotating force applied on the motor (ie see bright red line). You can feel the movement coming from inside the motor/bearings. The propellers are (1345S - not the type shown in image) are in good condition.

The are no strange sounds when the propellers are running/flying. The main thing which has caught my attention is that on the two other motors there is absolutely no rotating movement within the motor/bearings when applying the wiggle motion to the props.

Hope this makes sense!

Cheers and many thanks in advance!
Birty
Motor Play.jpg

Attachments

• Motor Play.jpg
    Motor Play.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Hopefully this will give a better understanding. Photo taken from the web for demonstration purposes.

There is no lateral movement in the shaft itself (thankfully) When holding the base of the motor to stop it from freely moving and when you wriggle the propeller (dark red line) to ensure it is properly held there is a 1-2mm rotating movement within the motor itself (bright red line).

ie the propeller will move 1-2mm in the same direction as the rotating force applied on the motor (ie see bright red line). You can feel the movement coming from inside the motor/bearings. The propellers are (1345S - not the type shown in image) are in good condition.

The are no strange sounds when the propellers are running/flying. The main thing which has caught my attention is that on the two other motors there is absolutely no rotating movement within the motor/bearings when applying the wiggle motion to the props.

Hope this makes sense!

Cheers and many thanks in advance!
Birty
View attachment 7286
Ahhhh.....now I understand.
Yes, if you are running the quick release system the props need replacing every 200 flights or so (this is referenced in the manual)
The cams can wear on the prop and cause a bad 'lock'.
My opinion on these daft fittings are well documented on the forum and personally I would ditch that system straight away and go to the original threaded props and locks.
Everyone has to make up their own minds though but I would replace that that prop and fixing spring if you continue to use that system. Actually,since it isna second hand machine I would replace all four corner props and fixings.

Thank you for your suggestion The Editor. I am not adverse to the idea of changing the whole prop system and going back to threads and prop locks and seeing how it goes.

Worth trying and cost is minimal from the broad perspective.

Cheers
Birty

Reactions: The Editor
Try the "newer" (3rd) 1345T Quick release props.

Their rotating lock switch system works very well for me. It's very solid.

I've been using it for a couple months now and love them.

Just dont know how to balance them

Try the "newer" (3rd) 1345T Quick release props.

Their rotating lock switch system works very well for me. It's very solid.

I've been using it for a couple months now and love them.

Just dont know how to balance them

Not a problem, as easy as it is with other props, take a look HERE

Chris

Good to see another Aussie on the site. I have worked my way through the original threaded props with locks, the quick release props with plastic hubs and then alloy hubs (even though DJI said not to), and the latest 1345T Quick release props. Even though I never had a specific problem with a prop failure, I always felt I wanted the latest and best combination. I have now ordered 2 sets of carbon fibre props with alloy hubs at the suggestion of Damon Cooper (a regular contributor on this site). This has been detailed in the following thread Downed inspire. I have received the alloy hubs from Lynh Phan (AU$340 with shipping) and I am awaiting the arrival of the props (from Goodluckbuy AU$257 with shipping). Good luck and safe flying. (from Melbourne)

Ok, update.

I had a spare full set of 1345S gear so decided to replace all four on the Inspire just to see whether the play will disappear which they certainly did so many thanks The Editor.

It is comforting to know that the problem was not more complicated. But, lesson learned about making sure it is always good to go back to the manuals and revise things that you may have forgotten.

Anyhow, I have already ordered a full set of 1345T props and locks and when they arrive I will change over to them to see how I like them. Knowing that they have a better locking mechanism will give me greater peace of mind.

Greetings DavidB! It appears we have a few Inspire owners around and is good to see. Look forward to meeting up with some pilots in the future.

Cheers
Birty

Reactions: The Editor

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlesssouth