Welcome to InspirePilots.com

Join the leading DJI Inspire community for free!

Simple Bench Test for Inspire 1 ESC/Motor Assemblies?

Discussion in 'Inspire 1 Help' started by Tq2Jetman, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Tq2Jetman

I have read many posts here about ESC errors and DJI Inspire 1 ESC/Motor issues.

What I have not come across is a simple bench test one can do on removed ESC/Motor assemblies.

Ie: I have a qty of ESC/Motor assemblies but want to know if they are serviceable before I go through the process of installation into a DJI Inspire 1 itself. Also the units currently installed it would seem have a problem but which one?

At the moment I am in the process of repairing a crashed Inspire 1 myself. I cannot get the motors to start and I have changed two ESC/Motor assemblies. I get the DJI Go App ESC warning message and the only other thing that jumps out at me is the camera (X3) moves slightly as I attempt a start (Left RC stick).

IMU, Compass and RC are all calibrated and OK. Camera works. GPS works. No landing gear lights illuminate. Rear light flickers green.

So has any Guru out there devised a simple test box or has a wiring diagram for one where we can plug in a ESC/Motor assembly and test the little sucker?

2. jasonthomson

I don't know of a way to bench test. The rear lights flicker and then ESC error comes on screen?
    Could be a bad motor wire. The ESC may be good but as soon as power is sent to the motor it shuts down.
    When my ESC was bad, as soon as I put the battery in and powered on the craft. The led on the landing foot came on yellow.

3. calde315

Really the only way I've done it is with a working inspire. Unfortunately there is too much going on to just simply hook up voltage I'm afraid.

4. The Editor

The Editor Moderator
    Staff Member

There is no 'simple' comprehensive bench test you can do unless you have an understanding of PWM and three phase drive output (which brushless motors are).
    However, what you can do is attach the esc to a battery supply and take the controller input and connect it to a simple Futaba style RX (do not use S-BUS though, use dedicated channel outputs).
    Connect your three phase esc o/p to a known good motor and then you should be able to adjust the speed using the remote that is bound to the RX. You will be able to ramp up and down the speed of the motor from the remote.
    Keep doing this for each motor. If you get one that doesn't work you have a bad motor.
    Conversely if you swap the esc out each time and use a good motor, when the combination doesn't work, you have a bad esc.
    The Inspire esc's are nothing special other than reasonably fast switching. However they do run proprietary firmware so nothing like Simon K or the likes. You will need to fully disconnect each esc/motor combination in order to run the tests above.
    Additionally the esc's will need to see 100% stick throw for them to arm so make sure you do not have dual rates or travel limits programmed into your Transmitter, or any mixes set that will average out a 100% output on the throttle channel.

DesertWindAero and jasonthomson like this.
  5. emtea

Out of curiosity, anyone know what the RPM range of our motors are?

6. The Editor

The Editor Moderator
    Staff Member

Unloaded or loaded?

Unloaded as per the motors KV rating so for 3510/350 350rpm per volt (roughly and not allowing for back emf) So for a nominal 22.2 v unloaded will be around 7,770rpm. :)

emtea likes this.
  7. emtea

Ah okay, that's neat, did not know you could calculate it that way, thanks Editor!