Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Simple Light Mod

Reaction score
Website
airtaccavs.com
I published this in Certified UAV Operators. Thought it could be published in Discussion also. Please remove if inappropriate.

Few months ago, I had the thought of how would I provide lighting when shooting under overhead covering. For example a bridge, bottom side of an observation tower. Light stands can be expensive and unworkable due to height. Well I started surfing through eBay and YouTube, and saw a couple of light systems starting at $350.00 bucks. Looking at one system, it came to me that I can use bicycle lights I've had for six or seven years. Check out the pic. With a modification to the lights bracket and non friction tape, mounted the lights on the landing gear arms. I can raise or lower the beam so that I stay a safe distance from the photo subject. Need to land to do that though. Mounted the lights close to the transition arm on the motor boom to help with weight and balance.
light-mod-3-jpg.5267
Did the hover check in ATTI mode. Required no more correction than the usual corrections when hovering inside a tight space. You may ask why inside? Well, my house is within 5 miles of an airport.

Added night pics to show illumination.

Attachments

• Light Mod 5.jpg
    Light Mod 5.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 83
  • Light Mod 6.jpg
    Light Mod 6.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 79
  • Light Mod 7.jpg
    Light Mod 7.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 80
I thought you were going to talk about changing around the green and red lights on DJi's machines.
Could never figure out why they would put them this way as it is backwards.
In aircraft and boats, red is always at the stern and green at the bow!

I thought you were going to talk about changing around the green and red lights on DJi's machines.
Could never figure out why they would put them this way as it is backwards.
In aircraft and boats, red is always at the stern and green at the bow!

Yea, didn't think about that, but it makes sense. It seems like it would be a simple fix. However, if you go in and make any changes to the production model, you may void your warranty.

I think as small as the craft is, identifying red and green on such a small craft is irrelevant (LOS) especially if you are flying near a large craft to begin with.... It should never happen to begin with... Colors don't mean ****!! Model aircrafts are copycat of actual aircraft, quad copters bring a whole different X,Y,Z, to the table.. The navigation lights are for operator navigation.. If an actual piloted aircraft has to distinguish what direction you are going GUESS WHAT[emoji15][emoji35]!!!!! Just a pointer, b4 spending hundreds of dollars and mods on a craft that should not be playing in real traffic to begin with. Oh and possibly voiding warranties too[emoji6]

I think as small as the craft is, identifying red and green on such a small craft is irrelevant (LOS) especially if you are flying near a large craft to begin with.... It should never happen to begin with... Colors don't mean ****!! Model aircrafts are copycat of actual aircraft, quad copters bring a whole different X,Y,Z, to the table.. The navigation lights are for operator navigation.. If an actual piloted aircraft has to distinguish what direction you are going GUESS WHAT[emoji15][emoji35]!!!!! Just a pointer, b4 spending hundreds of dollars and mods on a craft that should not be playing in real traffic to begin with. Oh and possibly voiding warranties too[emoji6]

Although I'm not the original author of the red/green position lights, I think White Airwolf's point was consistency in standard aircraft and boat lighting, not being able to actually fly near actual aircraft traffic. As fast as airplanes are flying, you will not see a drone, even if you where told it was at your twelve o'clock same altitude until its' to late.

I agree with line of sight when flying commercial ops or for recreation. Looking at and hearing about lost aircraft, they usually start with people relying heavily on the FPV during flight. I read where a guy couldn't understand why he lost his aircraft when he lost visual sight, flying around a cliff.

Happy Holiday's...... Safe Flying........

Reactions: SanCap

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unitedconveyormktg