Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Slave Controller Loss Of Video - Master Still Clear

Reaction score
Hi All.. Wondering if anyone else has seen this, or if I am just doing something wrong / missing something..

He is the scenario..
Master controller, iPhone6+ - RC and Video are pretty flawless.
Slave Controller, iPad Mini (second gen) - Video and gimbal controls work great at take off, and good until about 1000 ft or so, then it just loses video completely. Video is not regained until the bird is brought back into range.

While the video is gone from Slave Controller, the Master is still clear as a bell... I actually had it out to about 5000ft distance yesterday, and everything on the master was perfect. after the 5000 ft mark, I lost video on the master(which I am not complaining about at all) and I just hit the RTH button... I could have done it manually, but figured this would be a good RTH test anyway.

Also, for anyone who KNOWS for sure, does the Lightbridge on the I1 actually function like the picture in the manual? Specifically in regards to the slave controller... I.E. - I know that the slave links to the master to transmit the control to the gimble, but what about the video? In the illustration, it would appear that the slave sends control to the master, but receives video directly from the craft.. Is that correct? If it gets it from the craft, I am so confused why the master gets video so far out, and the slave drops out so soon.

Any thoughts, suggestions, etc? Thanks in advance all!!!!

David

I have experienced the same problem, tried a number of tablets and the Iphone on the slave and there is definitely more lag when on the slave and video loss is experienced way before the signal begins to have an issue on the main controller.

Similar issues - used iPhone 5s no problem, as soon as I plug in a hdmi monitor my iPhone signal goes blank and says 'no signal' to the bird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Similar issues - used iPhone 5s no problem, as soon as I plug in a hdmi monitor my iPhone signal goes blank and says 'no signal' to the bird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is a different type of issue. I have never attempted to use the HDMI port. My issue is just that the slave controller video drops out at a much shorter range than the master controller video.

I believe this is what they fixed in the .17 update but I can't be certain, as I'm on .16 still.

I have seen the same issue.

I believe this is what they fixed in the .17 update

I would have to guess not. I am on the .17 FW.

I put in a ticket with DJI about it to see what they have to say. No response yet, but when I get something, I will be certain to update this thread.

I would have to guess not. I am on the .17 FW.

I put in a ticket with DJI about it to see what they have to say. No response yet, but when I get something, I will be certain to update this thread.

Huh. Ok then, sounds like an unresolved issue.

My understanding was that only the master talks to the aircraft and the slave only talks to the master controller, but on 5.8GHz.

Mattock - May be a silly question, but when you are tying to use both outputs, did you change the setting in "Transmission Settings" to Simultaneous image output to App and HDMI to "On"?

Attachments

• IMG_1266.PNG
    IMG_1266.PNG
    600.3 KB · Views: 59
My understanding was that only the master talks to the aircraft and the slave only talks to the master controller, but on 5.8GHz.

That is my understanding as well as far as control for sure... But I am unsure about the video due to the following images on the DJI website and in the manual.. It is never described in type though.. Unless I missed something of course...

Attachments

• Dual Operator.png
    Dual Operator.png
    638.4 KB · Views: 52
That is my understanding as well as far as control for sure... But I am unsure about the video due to the following images on the DJI website and in the manual.. It is never described in type though.. Unless I missed something of course...

Interesting, so the video comes straight to the slave controller from the Inspire, not via the master controller.

My camera operator was standing next to me with antennas properly oriented and the picture kept dropping from her controller while mine was rock solid.

I suspected a bad controller->iPad cable actually, and I still can't rule that out I guess (spare on hand next time it happens to try)

My camera operator was standing next to me with antennas properly oriented and the picture kept dropping from her controller while mine was rock solid.

Yup - That is exactly the issue that I am having. I'm just not sure if the illustrations are accurate since I did not see anything 100% definitive in the manuals text. Hopefully DJI can confirm the actual operation of the secondary video feed and we can go from there. Seems like it will prolly be a FW issue that should be able to be fixed sometime in the future.

Yup - That is exactly the issue that I am having. I'm just not sure if the illustrations are accurate since I did not see anything 100% definitive in the manuals text. Hopefully DJI can confirm the actual operation of the secondary video feed and we can go from there. Seems like it will prolly be a FW issue that should be able to be fixed sometime in the future.

Yeah if I even knew what conditions bring it on that would help so we can avoid it/make it happen less often/restore video when it happens.

I was actually planning on doing exactly what DJI suggests below, just haven't gotten to it yet. However, it sounds like it won't matter according to Costal Bird's reply above...

DJI did confirm that Slave video is transmitted directly to the Slave controller. Makes sense to me, as the Lightbridge is just broadcasting the video feed. Slave controller probably does something similar to IGMP Snooping/Subscription with information that it receives from the master controller when they are linked and allowed to receive the feed... Still does nothing to explain why it is happening, and how to fix it...

Maybe if we all open a ticket with them on the same issue, it will get their attention to this issue.. Just cut and paste my original post, and slightly modify it.. That way ya'll don't have to type the whole thing up ;) lol

DJI response:

M. F. (DJI Technology )
Apr 1, 10:16
Dear David,
Thank you for contacting DJI North America.
It is difficult to determine exactly what is causing the limited video range on your slave controller.
Have you attempted to switch supported devices? Use the iPhone 6 on the slave, and vice versa.
It may help to confirm your slave controller settings match your master controller settings, seeing as how the master is preforming well.
The information in the manual regarding master and slave video transmission is correct. Please see page 30 in the manual for additional information.
Best Regardsm
DJI Customer Service North America

We experienced this over the weekend.

2nd radio had an ipad air 2. Signal got loss for video, but 2nd radio was still able to control gimbal and camera. But video was not updating.

I had not only signal loss on the HDMI but also on the phone I was using. (samsung xcover2) at that time - which is by the way not a good option. I only had nothing else.

The diagram on the photo makes no sense... The slave has video signal and camera control. The master gets video feed and flight control (OK limited gimbal movement too) It would be nice to be able to use the slave as a trainer box, where the pilot could allow a novice control while always having the option to take over control of the craft.

I read through this thread and was having the same issues. The slave controller would not update via USB Card Reader, or Flash Drive. So I tried the third way of connecting to the aircrafts camera and turning on the controller first, then the aircraft.

Two Things:
  • Make sure the aircraft is already updated with the firmware
  • Make sure to use a long USB cable because the camera will calibrate upon start up.
  • Make sure that you start the RC before the aircraft.
Here is a link to the tutorial, the way I did it starts at 3:39

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJKyVEAzEn8

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melodee207